PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Linhof

Terri T
15-Aug-2008, 19:24
I'm over joyed and over whelmed. My father-in-law left me a Linhof, several lenses, a super Linhof tripod etc. etc. and the complete 4x5 darkroom. I hope Bob Solomon can help. s/n 72858 with beige leather would be about 1960 or so? What model? I have been reading his other requests and I would also like to find that site that gives the Carl Zeiss serial numbers. How much do I insure this for? I'm in the Kansas City area. Is there such a thing as a camera equipment appraiser that makes house calls? Are there classes for large format in this area? I'm a 35 mm person.

caleb
15-Aug-2008, 19:51
Hi Terri, in the KC area you could go to Overland Photo at 90th and Metcalf and ask Lee Bartell to take a look at it. He has been repairing all kinds of cameras for decades and would probably be able to nail down a date and check out the serial numbers that you have questions about. As far as classes for large format, you could take the advanced photography course at Johnson County Comm. College. It is mainly a 4x5 black and white class with a little medium format thrown in. The teacher of the class is really quite good and his students love him..(shameless plug). I teach it on Tuesday and Thursday. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
-Caleb

seabird
15-Aug-2008, 23:46
I s/n 72858 with beige leather would be about 1960 or so? What model?

Hi Terri,

I assume your are talking a 5x4 Technika? If so, my Technika IV with rangefinder is s/no 76076 which Bob says is 1956 vintage. I understand this may have been near the start of the model IV lifespan, so 72858 may be an even earlier IV or a III.

If you post the serial no in the "Linhof Serial Nos" thread Bob is always kind enough to respond with a date.

Cheers

Carey Bird (who was unable to get his father in law to purchase a Technika 3000...)

Bob Salomon
16-Aug-2008, 05:04
I'm over joyed and over whelmed. My father-in-law left me a Linhof, several lenses, a super Linhof tripod etc. etc. and the complete 4x5 darkroom. I hope Bob Solomon can help. s/n 72858 with beige leather would be about 1960 or so? What model? I have been reading his other requests and I would also like to find that site that gives the Carl Zeiss serial numbers. How much do I insure this for? I'm in the Kansas City area. Is there such a thing as a camera equipment appraiser that makes house calls? Are there classes for large format in this area? I'm a 35 mm person.

That is a Super Technika IV from about 1960/61.

Terri T
16-Aug-2008, 15:39
WOW, thanks guys. I love this group, answers in less than 24 hrs to questions I had worked on for weeks. Thanks and I'll keep reading.

Terri T
17-Aug-2008, 12:06
I see a PHOT 122 (more B&W) or PHTO 123 (more studio) but prerequisite of 121. I'm 58 with a AAS from Longview and a BA from Park. I've taken UMKC courses in their "Fool Killer" summer program in Color Darkroom and camera tech. Could I take 122 or 123 as a non-credit course and waive the 121?