PDA

View Full Version : Post your long exposures here

Pages : [1] 2

Steve M Hostetter
12-Aug-2008, 09:23
The mighty Mackinaw Bridge going through it's motions, shot w/ Sinar 8x10" Nikkor 1200mm f16 @ f32 for 7 hours
on B&W polaroid

Collin Orthner
12-Aug-2008, 09:43
July 1st is Canada Day, and you know there is going to be a fireworks show!! While waiting for the show to start on English Bay in Vancouver, British Columbia I decided to make a long exposure to catch all the boats moving around the bay. Someone out there decided to fire off an emergency flare and soon all the boaters were firing them off. Throw in a few jets coming and going from the airport, some onlookers along the shore and the moon for good measure and you have an interesting recipe for a unique image. Image was made with a Linhof 617 using a 17 minute exposure.

Jeffrey Sipress
12-Aug-2008, 12:40
Is 80 seconds considered long around here?

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/missionkitchen.jpg

Vaughn
12-Aug-2008, 12:45
Yes, what is a "long" exposure?

My exposures under the redwoods run around 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

Vaughn

Steve M Hostetter
12-Aug-2008, 14:16
Hello,, I'd say anything longer then say 10 seconds...

Bruce Watson
12-Aug-2008, 14:50
The mighty Mackinaw Bridge going through it's motions, shot w/ Sinar 8x10" Nikkor 1200mm f16 @ f32 for 7 hours on B&W polaroid

Amazing. I had no idea it bucked like that. As it's been around for what, 50+ years I'm thinking it's safe, yes?

Steve M Hostetter
12-Aug-2008, 15:27
Hello Bruce,,,

The movement comes from the built in mechanics of the bridge.. Which makes it a machine in and of it's self I guess

Steve M Hostetter
12-Aug-2008, 15:50
One of my favorite photographers is Rhienhart Wolf , he is known for his building shots with lens up to 1800mm ... I always thought to myself , I wonder what a 7 hour exposure of that building would look like.. Or a set of buildings

Alan Davenport
12-Aug-2008, 17:28
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/252158854_ff4a1987b2_o.jpg
The Light at Cape Blanco

Taken from Bandon, 19 miles away, four minute exposure. I cheated a little and added the lens flare effect digitally...

Richard M. Coda
12-Aug-2008, 18:35
my Painted Lady... discovered this in an abandoned warehouse facility in the middle of downtown Phoenix. They actually hold "rave" parties here, I found out from the owner, who happened upon us while we were shooting. This is right across the street from the 4th Avenue Jail, made famous by Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Anyway, we were allowed in to photograph what we wanted. This was painted on an HVAC duct. It was very large, maybe 4x5 feet. This was the first time I ever got a "zero" on my light meter for the shadows. I think the highlights were "3". The duct curved away from me so I had to use a small aperture to keep everything in focus, f45 or f64, if I remember correctly. The resulting exposure was 9 minutes.

I think it turned out pretty good. I actually think it is the actress Annie Corley (Bridges of Madison County)... maybe I'm wrong, though.

vinny
12-Aug-2008, 19:42
Alan, great shot but i feel the photoshop lens flare was the worst thing invented since kids backpacks with wheels.

Here's one:
1 minute at 45? nikkor 300mm M

domenico Foschi
12-Aug-2008, 20:56
beautiful, vinny!

Steve M Hostetter
13-Aug-2008, 09:49
Is 80 seconds considered long around here?

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/missionkitchen.jpg

Jeffrey,,, really nice texture and deep color... shows what you can do with existing light..
Regards
Steve

jim kitchen
13-Aug-2008, 10:20
Dear Alan,

Excellent mood in your image...

jim k

jim kitchen
13-Aug-2008, 10:40
Folks,

An experiment of mine, where I took two images from the same location...

I knew that nearly full moon might be visible later in the evening, if the evening clouds would break, so I sat at this location for way too many hours, talking to myself, drinking beer, slapping the pesky mosquitoes, and eating a few stale boring sandwiches. :)

The first exposure caught the late evening clouds above the horizon, where my exposure time was approximately two seconds, and the second exposure caught the wheat field lighted by the "Waxing Gibbous Moon," where the exposure time was approximately thirty minutes. I used my 8X10 dark slide to cover the bottom of the negative during the first exposure, and I used the dark slide to cover the top half of the image during the second exposure.

It seemed to work, so I am going to try this again...

jim k

Moonlight, Clouds, and Wheat Field, Didsbury, Alberta, Canada

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/moonlightWheatField.jpg

Michael_4514
13-Aug-2008, 12:33
Amazing. I had no idea it bucked like that. As it's been around for what, 50+ years I'm thinking it's safe, yes?

Yes. With such a long span, it has to move or it would simply snap. You can often feel the movements when you are on it.

jss
13-Aug-2008, 12:58
12 minutes in pacifica, california. (4x5 hp5+ at iso 800)

Jiri Vasina
13-Aug-2008, 13:43
jim k, the result is nice, and the technique is fairly interesting. I wonder how you managed to align the darkslide to cover part of the photo...

Steve M Hostetter
13-Aug-2008, 14:22
Jim K,,, awesome

Miguel Coquis
13-Aug-2008, 15:30
[QUOTE=jim kitchen;378798]Folks,

Impressionnant !
yes, keep trying Jim !!!

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Aug-2008, 20:13
Here is one from Nojqui park in Santa Barbara county. This was a 29 minute exposure on the 8x10. There is a trail that goes to a limestone waterfall. During this exposure several families stopped to ask questions. The best question was the one from the guy who wanted to know what that small opening was in the lens. When I told him I was making an image I thought he was going to pass out! He did not realize that he would not show up. Sure was fun to see his expression, though.

Jim

Gordon Moat
13-Aug-2008, 20:18
6 minutes - Kodak E100VS using Nikkor-W 180mm

http://www.gordonmoat.com/swops/GM_swop_21.jpg

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

jim kitchen
13-Aug-2008, 20:21
jim k, the result is nice, and the technique is fairly interesting. I wonder how you managed to align the darkslide to cover part of the photo...

Jiri,

Good old fashion tape, where the dark slide was placed in front of the lens taped to the lenshood, lined up properly while looking through the ground glass... :)

I remembered an old trick, such as this, while doing wedding photography from my university days.

jim k

Jim Fitzgerald
13-Aug-2008, 21:13
Gordon, gotta love it! Great image. I especially love the sky.

Jim

Greg Lockrey
13-Aug-2008, 21:30
Folks,

jim k

Very powerful.

Vaughn
13-Aug-2008, 22:36
Here's a 10 second exposure (or 30 sec, I forget...I took one neg at each time)

One of my boys in Fern Canyon, CA

jim kitchen
14-Aug-2008, 08:44
Impressionnant !
yes, keep trying Jim !!!

:)

jim k

Vlad Steinberg
20-Aug-2008, 11:44
Hi,
A lot of great images on this thread.Really enjoy it.
I have a question to Jeffrey Sipress and Alan Davenport.What film did you use for those images and what kind of reciprocity failure adjustment/filters?
Also,this question was probably discussed somewhere in the past ,but which color films in general are better for longish exposures(not a true night photography but a dusk/dawn/slowing moving water or just low light images)?
Thanks,
Vlad.

evan clarke
20-Aug-2008, 11:59
Lake Michigan, high sunlight, 3 minutes through a 10 stop N.D. filter, RZ67.

Gordon Moat
20-Aug-2008, 12:17
Hello Vlad,

In colour transparency films, I have found Kodak E100VS to be quite amazing for night and low light imaging. Kodak E200 is arguably better, but only available in 35mm and 120 roll film sizes. The majority of my night and low light images are done with those two films, though lately I have added Fuji Provia 400X for certain types of shots.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Capocheny
20-Aug-2008, 22:08
Folks,

I knew that nearly full moon might be visible later in the evening, if the evening clouds would break, so I sat at this location for way too many hours, talking to myself, drinking beer, slapping the pesky mosquitoes, and eating a few stale boring sandwiches. :)

The first exposure caught the late evening clouds above the horizon, where my exposure time was approximately two seconds, and the second exposure caught the wheat field lighted by the "Waxing Gibbous Moon," where the exposure time was approximately thirty minutes. I used my 8X10 dark slide to cover the bottom of the negative during the first exposure, and I used the dark slide to cover the top half of the image during the second exposure.

jim k

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/moonlightWheatField.jpg

Jim,

What a GRAND image... beautiful!

Isn't it great when an experiment works?

Cheers

Richard M. Coda
26-Aug-2008, 09:54
Arca-Swiss 8x10
Fujinon 300A
TMax 100
f 32-1/3 @ 3:20

This is an interior from this old boiler room next to RR tracks in northwest Phoenix. From what we found out, they used to steam bails of cotton to shrink them before loading them onto the RR cars to conserve space.

Second photo is an exterior shot.

Jon Shiu
26-Aug-2008, 10:54
Ocean scene, a few minutes after sunset.

Jon

Steve M Hostetter
29-Sep-2008, 06:03
Hello Vlad,,,

Another good film for night shots is Fuji or Kodak Tungsten film ... There is absolutly no reciprocity failure with tunsten films

Steve M Hostetter
29-Sep-2008, 06:06
I also understand Fuji provia f100 can be used for exposures over 100 sec. with no color shift

ic-racer
29-Sep-2008, 11:34
30 seconds, 8x10 Century.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/Falls.jpg

Frank Petronio
29-Sep-2008, 11:53
Here's a wedding shot, the length of the ceremony. See all the flashes?

Steve M Hostetter
30-Sep-2008, 18:19

Frank,,, Excellent work

argos33
1-Oct-2008, 23:37
Frank, excellent idea, I like the wedding shot. How long was the exposure? I'm guessing you had to use a ND filter or two?

Evan

Jehu
2-Oct-2008, 17:05
f22; 30 seconds; 4x5; VS100
Sunset over Reno:
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z95/Jehu10842/LF_color/reno_vista2-1.jpg

Francesco Gallarotti
2-Oct-2008, 17:28

I have to ask... you didn't know how long the ceremony was going to last, you measured the light with a light meter and you got some reading... how do you go into translating that into this perfect exposure with all the adjustments you need to take in consideration (because of the long exposure)? Luck? Photoshop? Experience?

Jim Galli
2-Oct-2008, 17:31
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/121004Trip5X7s/LongBranchLuning.jpg
long branch saloon, luning, NV.

Schneider 270mm G-Claron. 11 minutes. Of note was my poor planning. The tripod was in the pickup bed to get the elevation I wanted. I was in a 'rest area' across highway 95 from the saloon. It was late November and it was about 13 degrees. If I opened the truck door to get inside to keep warm it would jiggle the camera. Not only that, I had no time piece. So I walked briskly round and round the truck to try not to freeze to death and counted out the minutes sticking out a finger to keep track of each minute counted. No, Virginia, I don't have 11 fingers. When trucks would pass in front I would hold up a broom to block the lens.

Jehu
2-Oct-2008, 17:36
Great job Jim. I've been to that place many times. You got me beat. I have to unzip to count to eleven.:o

Jehu
2-Oct-2008, 17:38
I have to ask... you didn't know how long the ceremony was going to last, you measured the light with a light meter and you got some reading... how do you go into translating that into this perfect exposure with all the adjustments you need to take in consideration (because of the long exposure)? Luck? Photoshop? Experience?

I'm still confused about reciprocity. How does one figure it out for such a long exposure?

Darryl Baird
4-Oct-2008, 08:23

damn, that's Art, Frank

good job

Darryl Baird
4-Oct-2008, 08:32
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/121004Trip5X7s/LongBranchLuning.jpg
long branch saloon, luning, NV.

Schneider 270mm G-Claron. 11 minutes. Of note was my poor planning. The tripod was in the pickup bed to get the elevation I wanted. I was in a 'rest area' across highway 95 from the saloon. It was late November and it was about 13 degrees. If I opened the truck door to get inside to keep warm it would jiggle the camera. Not only that, I had no time piece. So I walked briskly round and round the truck to try not to freeze to death and counted out the minutes sticking out a finger to keep track of each minute counted. No, Virginia, I don't have 11 fingers. When trucks would pass in front I would hold up a broom to block the lens.

I'm surprised you don't carry an "emergency" kit of a blanket or a big towel, it's tough to stay warm in Michigan when your car stalls or skids off the icy winter roads. I always have a big fleece blanket in the trunk. I know it gets cold in Nevada too.

You carry a broom? :cool:

Jim Galli
4-Oct-2008, 10:10
You carry a broom? :cool:

:D:D not usually but it was in the truck from a previous dump run.

Frank Petronio
4-Oct-2008, 11:11
Oh I made them stop the ceremony halfway through, the photo was more important than some dumb wedding LOL.

Actually I think it was EV 2-3 so I figured it was a couple of minutes wide open, so I stuck about three of my darkest filters (PL, Red, Green, etc.) on for maybe a 8 or 10x factor, and just left it open for a little before and during the whole ceremony and the couple's departure, then I remembered I left the 4x5 up there. Maybe 90 minutes? The exposure is off by a couple of stops so a lot of that is heroic Photoshop work, but I've found just educated guessing works as well as anything else.

That's the only commercial wedding I ever did, I never liked the idea of being a wedding photographer. Given the economy I should reconsider doing them though.

Daniel_Buck
7-Oct-2008, 09:10
Ok, this is my first attempt at a long shutter speed! I was originally going to try this shot in color, but I decided I'd try it in B&W (tri-x 320) since I can process it myself for cheaper. 2 hour long shutter, 90mm at f8, focused on the moon, waited for the moon to go down, then opened the shutter for 2 hours.

I'm pleased with it! Though I think the 90mm is distorting the star patterns, and 5 or 6 hours would look better than 2 hours!

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/joshuatree_03.jpg

Jehu
7-Oct-2008, 11:57
Ok, this is my first attempt at a long shutter speed! I was originally going to try this shot in color, but I decided I'd try it in B&W (tri-x 320) since I can process it myself for cheaper. 2 hour long shutter, 90mm at f8, focused on the moon, waited for the moon to go down, then opened the shutter for 2 hours.

I'm pleased with it! Though I think the 90mm is distorting the star patterns, and 5 or 6 hours would look better than 2 hours!

I personally like the effect you got with the 90mm.

I'm not too sure about the longer times. That would give the moonlight more time to pollute the rest of the picture and the star streaks wouldn't stand out enough. The streaks would also become lines that go completely through the picture. Right now you have just enough exposure from the moonlight to make the hills stand out without too much effect on the star trails.

I like it.:)

giovannilami
16-Oct-2008, 10:11
http://i36.tinypic.com/2gsphjs.jpg

it's only one of many. one of the last ones.

La Ciotat (France), 2008
(...on the way to Perpignan Visa Pour L'Image)

made with an Ebony RW810 and a Rodenstock Apo Sironar N 5,6/300. on Fuji Pro160S 8x10". 42 minutes exposure. ...a bad scan on an Epson V750Pro.

ciao,
Gio.

Vaughn
16-Oct-2008, 10:36
A 30 second exposure at f90
Fuji W 300mm on 8x10

Luffenholtz Beach, Northern CA
scanned platinum/palladium print

Vaughn

Paul H
17-Oct-2008, 02:33
Well, I did show it on another thread, but what the heck....

8 minutes:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/391914371_aa635f7bca_o.jpg

(Wellington, NZ. Agfa RSXII)

Miguel Coquis
17-Oct-2008, 08:10
Walking around Paris
Relatively long exposure,
15 chimpanzees (means seconds when you count for yourself... !)
100asa
Mentor 9x12
Dev minus
Scan neg

Brian_A
25-Nov-2008, 12:42
So a few of us were out shooting in the DuPont Circle area of DC a month or so ago(Scott Davis and others..) and I found these people playing their street chess. I dunno, I just kind of felt compelled to make a few exposures. For some reason what I see in PSD/TIF doesn't not translate properly to JPG - so my apologies. If I could post my TIFF's you'd understand. Until I figure it out, this will have to do. Both taken with a Horseman Woodman 4x5 with a DaYi 6x17 back. One with a Nikkor-W 150mm f/5.6 lens and one with a Schneider 210mm f/5.6. I think the exposure was something like three minutes and twenty seconds at f/11 on Plus-X 125.

-Brian

http://www.akersonstudios.com/temp/chess1.jpg

http://www.akersonstudios.com/temp/chess2.jpg

Brian Vuillemenot
25-Nov-2008, 13:02
Here's the front of the navy ship Cape Gibson in the Alameda shipyard, 6 minutes on Velvia 100

Daniel_Buck
25-Nov-2008, 15:31
8x10, 10 seconds hand held, walking backwards :-)

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/harvester_07.jpg

argos33
25-Nov-2008, 17:19
Daniel,
What a great shot! Are those trees behind you? You should get one of those stedi-cam things that you attach to your waist for shooting video and do a whole series of these.

bgh
25-Nov-2008, 19:43
A couple of interiors of hydroelectric powerhouses, shot last year. Both with a 90 mm Fujinon stopped down to f45, the one on the left at 7 minutes, the one on the right at one minute.

Daniel_Buck
25-Nov-2008, 19:45
Daniel,
What a great shot! Are those trees behind you? You should get one of those stedi-cam things that you attach to your waist for shooting video and do a whole series of these.

yes, it is in a forest hiking trail, trees covering the sky a bit. I was walking backwards (holding the camera at my waist facing forward) and a friend of mine was facing me walking forwards at the same pace, about 2 yards away or so. some sort of stedi-cam thing might be fun :) could probably build something quick and dirty I think.

claudiocambon
25-Nov-2008, 20:36
I posted this shot in another thread a while back, but I have had it rescanned, and Digital Fusion in Culver City, who always does beautiful work for me, really brought the best out in the image. This is in Harpswell, Maine, in November 2005, shot with the Tech V, Xenotar 135 on NPS for I think about 20 minutes while the sky was still light, but ending in relative darkness.

vinny
25-Nov-2008, 21:10
The transition at the horizon really makes this image stand out.

Miguel Coquis
26-Nov-2008, 07:54
12 sec
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RwFNDsHP6Tk/SS1idbFhwlI/AAAAAAAAAUE/XCP_4UOBujg/s720/Hand%26Light.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
27-Nov-2008, 22:04
Daniel,,, brilliant

ifer
30-Nov-2008, 21:52
i wonder how u guys compose in the dark. it took me forever to compose a shot at night

Frank Petronio
30-Nov-2008, 21:57
You compose by educated guessing, wide angle lenses and flashlights or light sources off at a distance help.

BTW Claudio I just printed my Harpswell image for you! Great photo, surreal.

Daniel Buck's is awesome, Brian V's ship is beautiful, and Brian A's chess game is a great idea.

Compliments to all, great thread.

Scott --
10-Dec-2008, 14:05
Movement from a clock I'm building:

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/smpsweeps/works_sironar.jpg (http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/smpsweeps/works_sironar00.jpg)

Seneca 5x7, Sironar-N 210/5.6, Arista.EDU Ultra 100, 9:45 at f/22. Funny how the minute hand disappeared... :rolleyes:

Onestepbeyond70
11-Dec-2008, 15:59
Let me introduce myself with this photo...several minutes exposure and lihght painting.
Carlo

Colin Graham
11-Dec-2008, 18:32
Very cool, but everytime I see your name, I get that @!&*! song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5wgnGGiucQ&feature=related) stuck in my head. ;-)

Edwin Beckenbach
12-Dec-2008, 08:36
Sinar P 8x10, 120mm Nikkor-SW + center filter, f32 10 minutes, E100VS, processed -1/2

Jim Galli
16-Dec-2008, 21:29
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Harrahs121308/32FordScriptCooke.jpg
'32 ford script

5 minutes f16 1/2 with 9" Cooke.

Brian Vuillemenot
16-Dec-2008, 22:06
Sinar P 8x10, 120mm Nikkor-SW + center filter, f32 10 minutes, E100VS, processed -1/2

Awesome!!!

Edwin Beckenbach
16-Dec-2008, 23:18
Awesome!!!

Thanks Brian,

I was almost killed by a bicycle running a red light coming off a hill going at least 35mph just before taking this shot. The light turned, I looked at the cars stopping and stepped off the curb a short block from my location when I heard someone yell and this idiot with no light flew by close enough to brush my clothes. I felt the wind on my face. Bastard almost ruined my shot!

Here's another from the same tunnel a few days earlier.
This was with a 300mm Fujinon-C at f32 for 3 minutes.

walter23
17-Dec-2008, 01:07

Fantastic.

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Dec-2008, 20:37
Thanks Brian,

I was almost killed by a bicycle running a red light coming off a hill going at least 35mph just before taking this shot. The light turned, I looked at the cars stopping and stepped off the curb a short block from my location when I heard someone yell and this idiot with no light flew by close enough to brush my clothes. I felt the wind on my face. Bastard almost ruined my shot!

Here's another from the same tunnel a few days earlier.
This was with a 300mm Fujinon-C at f32 for 3 minutes.

Well, at least you have a great story to tell whenever you show someone that shot! Nearly getting killed during the photographic process definately adds value to the final product! ;)

How close were you to the oncoming traffic when you made the shot- was there any shelter in front of the tunnel?

Alex Wei
17-Dec-2008, 21:35
40 seconds should be enough to consider long exposure, right? :)

Chamonix whole plate camera with Taylor 11.1 inch lens. HP5+ film

Edwin Beckenbach
17-Dec-2008, 21:46
Well, at least you have a great story to tell whenever you show someone that shot! Nearly getting killed during the photographic process definately adds value to the final product! ;)

How close were you to the oncoming traffic when you made the shot- was there any shelter in front of the tunnel?

I was on the edge of the sidewalk with no shelter. The thing about shots like these is that I like to be as close to and as high above the traffic as I can get so the 'plane' that the lights are in is as spread out as much as possible. In this case I used a step ladder and my Reis at full extension which puts the camera up at around seven feet. I had the two legs an inch or two in from the inner edge of the curb or about eight inches in from the edge. What I do is get everything setup with the camera at a regular working height and then raise it up the last few feet. I make the final adjustments from the ladder. I NEVER do any thinking up on the ladder. I only do one or maybe two operations and then get down and think about what's next before going back up. I'm only 18 inches up but you can lose sight of where you are really fast if you try to consider the whole process.

In the case with the 120mm Nikkor I couldn't really see anything through the glass besides the path of the headlights. I had my girlfriend shine a flashlight at the lens from the "do not enter" signs to make sure of their positions and I used the inclinometer on my iphone to level the camera horizontally and make sure the standards were parallel.

One interesting thing about that shot is that there is typically a very narrow window of time during winter that it can be executed as shown because of the traffic patterns. Right now the time between the street lights that are behind me turning on and the traffic thinning out is usually about 20 minutes. After that time the cars don't stack up into the tunnel from the intersection (where I was nearly hit) and so the concrete isn't illuminated by the brake lights.

Steve M Hostetter
18-Dec-2008, 16:06
8x10, 10 seconds hand held, walking backwards :-)

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/harvester_07.jpg

The best of your work

Dave Aharonian
18-Dec-2008, 19:45
90 seconds, f45, 110xl, 5x7. Just before I got kicked off private industrial property - even though had permission!

claudiocambon
18-Dec-2008, 20:59
Dave,

What kind of place is that? Are those barges or ships tied up? Nifty!

Claudio

Dave Aharonian
19-Dec-2008, 00:33
Claudio,

This is in Powell River BC at the site of a large pulp and paper mill. About 8 or 9 hulls from old freighters have been toed into place and put together in a line to act as a breakwater in the harbour around the mill. They are about 40 or so years old now and quite derelict. Rumour has it they won't last much longer, but the question is what to do with them.

Dave

eddie
19-Dec-2008, 14:35
hi, my name is eddie.....and i am a junkie.....a collodion junkie! everyday i feel the urge to use....no matter what i do the monkey on my back forces me to do it........

today at 3:54pm on dec 19 here in NY i made this exposure. my 1st attempt was 15 sec....nothing. this one was between 2:45 and 3:50 min. i had the camera set up in my kitchen facing out the door. i opened the door for the exposure.

i even dried the plate with a hair dryer just so i could scan it.....this way you no longer have to look at mu fingers in the photo. :p

today we are having a pretty big storm. we are supposed to get 12 inches.

8x10 CU with 5x7 back. 5x7 black aluminum. 12 inch turner reich at f7.

eddie

claudiocambon
19-Dec-2008, 15:02
Claudio,

This is in Powell River BC at the site of a large pulp and paper mill. About 8 or 9 hulls from old freighters have been toed into place and put together in a line to act as a breakwater in the harbour around the mill. They are about 40 or so years old now and quite derelict. Rumour has it they won't last much longer, but the question is what to do with them.

Dave

As a ship junkie, I find the location totally fascinating, in addition to the picture being good. Thanks for the info!

Gary L. Quay
19-Dec-2008, 20:03
I took this one in October of the Hawthorne Bridge in Portland. The colors seem to have washed out a bit due to the tiny file I had to squeeze the picture into.

Alex Wei
19-Dec-2008, 21:19
hi, my name is eddie.....and i am a junkie.....a collodion junkie! everyday i feel the urge to use....no matter what i do the monkey on my back forces me to do it........

today at 3:54pm on dec 19 here in NY
eddie

Nice BBQ set up, Eddie. Isn't it too early to have a BBQ? :D

Let's fire this thing up and see how BBQ in winter goes. :) The question is who will be the cook?

Alex

eddie
20-Dec-2008, 06:50
Nice BBQ set up, Eddie. Isn't it too early to have a BBQ? :D

Let's fire this thing up and see how BBQ in winter goes. :) The question is who will be the cook?

Alex

i use it everyday! BBQ is the only way to cook! i will be the cook....you bring the meat!

eddie

Jeff Bannow
20-Dec-2008, 08:41
A Good Nights Rest: 7 Hours 43 Minutes with a Pinhole Camera

Aender Brepsom
20-Dec-2008, 10:02
A Good Nights Rest: 7 Hours 43 Minutes with a Pinhole Camera

Very funny idea!

Jeff Bannow
20-Dec-2008, 10:23
Very funny idea!

Thanks. :)

I shot this for a show my photo collective did on health and wellness. My wife was threatening my health and wellness if I made her sleep one more night with the lights on!

cjbroadbent
21-Dec-2008, 10:04
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm440/downstairs_2008/4poster.jpg
This is about eight minutes on 5x7. Over 5 minutes, with T film, anything is good up to 60 minutes. Good, just different. Look at the T film reciprocity table and you see why.

Steve M Hostetter
24-Dec-2008, 11:49
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm440/downstairs_2008/4poster.jpg
This is about eight minutes on 5x7. Over 5 minutes, with T film, anything is good up to 60 minutes. Good, just different. Look at the T film reciprocity table and you see why.

I used to use tungsten film just for that reason...

AlexLF
24-Dec-2008, 13:44
This one was taken with Linhof and Rodenstock 75mm lens. Exposure ~20 sec. That's Moscow.

Steve M Hostetter
24-Dec-2008, 18:10
Alex,, that is a great photo... I always wanted to see Russia! you guys sure know how to make us sqirm

Steve M Hostetter
24-Dec-2008, 20:47
I used to use tungsten film just for that reason...
Nice shot

AlexLF
25-Dec-2008, 07:01
Alex,, that is a great photo... I always wanted to see Russia! you guys sure know how to make us sqirm

Thank you Steve!
Merry Chtistmas to all!

Nana Sousa Dias
28-Feb-2009, 19:16
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2205/img048.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img048.jpg)

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9748/maresias242.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maresias242.jpg)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7568/magoito2.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=magoito2.jpg)

spiky247
1-Mar-2009, 01:01
Toyo VX125, Schneider Symmar-S 180mm @ f16 on Fuji T64 for 10min
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3315/3314185404_c72ee5e328_b.jpg
I used the dark slide to "dodge" out the bottom of the frame for 3min, stopping it from being too over exposed.

kev curry
1-Mar-2009, 01:39
Thats a pretty cool photo Spiky.

aphexafx
1-Mar-2009, 02:13
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/9748/maresias242.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maresias242.jpg)

That is ****ing brilliant. :)

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 06:34
That is ****ing brilliant. :)

Thank you, Matt!:)

al olson
1-Mar-2009, 06:49
Nana, your images set the standard, as always. Beautiful work. I, too, like the middle image.

Spiky, that is a stunning 10 minute exposure. Some of the interior lights have a strong cyan cast. I presume because you were using T64 against fluorescent lighting. Two of the windows have whiter light from the tungsten.

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 07:03
Nana, your images set the standard, as always. Beautiful work. I, too, like the middle image.

Spiky, that is a stunning 10 minute exposure. Some of the interior lights have a strong cyan cast. I presume because you were using T64 against fluorescent lighting. Two of the windows have whiter light from the tungsten.

Thank you, Al.

kev curry
1-Mar-2009, 07:13
Hi Nana, Ive tried to visit your home page but its a link to various company websites?

Cheers
kev

mattpallante
1-Mar-2009, 11:07
Just after dawn

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 12:08
Hi Nana, Ive tried to visit your home page but its a link to various company websites?

Cheers
kev

Hi, Kev

I don't have a home page (yet!). I had a domain wich redirected to my gallery on photo.net, but some guys bought a domain with my name, probably, trying to sell it to me later, winning some money but I'm not going to buy them nothing. I can live without a home page, at least for now! :)
I already changed that on my profile, excuse me for that, I didn't remember that I had the old link on my profile page.

Anyway, I'm still learning to photograph, I'm doing this more seriously for 7 years or so, it was when I bought my first LF camera, a Linhof Technika III.
By this time, I'm trying to find what I really like to photograph, so, I'm not very worried about publicity!;)
However, I've published photos on some magazine and books (B&W Magazine, for example, wich was a big honour, to me!!!) and sold some photos and published my first photography book last November.

You can see my photos here: www.photo.net/photos/nanasousadias

Thanks, Kev

Joanna Carter
1-Mar-2009, 14:01
Just a couple from France :

http://grandes-images.com/images/MorlaixLeGrandCafeDeLaTerrasse.jpg

Exposure 17mins

http://grandes-images.com/images/Traces.jpg

Exposure 12 secs

Steve M Hostetter
1-Mar-2009, 14:11
Joanna,,, what an atmospher excellent work bravo

Steve M Hostetter
1-Mar-2009, 14:17
Hi, Kev

I don't have a home page (yet!). I had a domain wich redirected to my gallery on photo.net, but some guys bought a domain with my name, probably, trying to sell it to me later, winning some money but I'm not going to buy them nothing. I can live without a home page, at least for now! :)
I already changed that on my profile, excuse me for that, I didn't remember that I had the old link on my profile page.

Anyway, I'm still learning to photograph, I'm doing this more seriously for 7 years or so, it was when I bought my first LF camera, a Linhof Technika III.
By this time, I'm trying to find what I really like to photograph, so, I'm not very worried about publicity!;)
However, I've published photos on some magazine and books (B&W Magazine, for example, wich was a big honour, to me!!!) and sold some photos and published my first photography book last November.

You can see my photos here: www.photo.net/photos/nanasousadias

Thanks, Kev
Nana,, I really enjoyed your portfolio. A fine example of the true exploring spirit of the Portuguese people.

Allen in Montreal
1-Mar-2009, 15:31
You are on fire these days!!! :)

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2205/img048.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img048.jpg)

kev curry
1-Mar-2009, 15:32
Thanks Nana, I second the above comments, I really enjoyed your work to. I already searched around and found your work on photo.net before you posted the link, such was my desire to see it! You've got your self an impressive body of work, I especially like ''Misty#5'' but theres plenty other too that I enjoyed. Is ''Misty#5'' a silver print?

Who stocks your photography book?

kev

F-Liner
1-Mar-2009, 16:02
Joanna, that first picture is one of the most beautiful images I have ever seen on this forum! What was it shot with?

Joanna Carter
1-Mar-2009, 16:31
Joanna, that first picture is one of the most beautiful images I have ever seen on this forum! What was it shot with?
Oh, how I wish it were the equipment that made the shot, so I will simply say, with care and patience ;) (4x5 camera, 72mm lens)

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 18:29
Nana,, I really enjoyed your portfolio. A fine example of the true exploring spirit of the Portuguese people.

Thank you, Steve! I'm exploring, yes, always...nowadays, more in photography than music...;)

John Kim
1-Mar-2009, 18:36
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3425/3246047480_e598c7089a_o.jpg

edit: 1 minute @ f/6.3

Jrewt
1-Mar-2009, 18:47
I'll give it a go:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2806728568_a24a41d5e9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2301634046_4f211d63a3_o.jpg

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 19:03
You are on fire these days!!! :)

Well, this photo was a huge amount of luck! I was out just for trying a Cokin filter holder wich I had cut out, (I cutted out two of the filter guides) to see if there was any vigneting, with the Super Angulon 47. This stuff (I don't know the right name for these eolic generators, in english!) is about 1 mile from my house, I went there because I knew this could be a good place to do those experiments. This cloud apeared running really fast (the wind was really strong that day) when I was just ready to press the cable release. Incredibly, the cloud aligned exactly with the propeller!!!!
Sometimes I think the old "decisive moment" stuff has more to do with luck than with photographic skill!!!!:D
I think Cartier-Bresson was a lucky guy!!! He was, of course, a great photographer but also, a lucky one, I think!
Of course, there is a nice story about Wagner, who was accused by his composer and musician pairs of being a lucky guy because he was living near the king and nobles and he was being supported by them.
He answered the accusation like this:
"You are right, I am a lucky guy but, when the luck came to me I was working, at my piano!":D

Sorry for my poor english but, that's the best I can do!!! I hope this is understandable!!!

Bloody net, nowadays I spend most of my day writing in english, french, spanish, etc.
Many times when I'm speaking my own language (portuguese) I find myself thinking in english, french, etc, trying to find the right portuguese word!!!!! And the biggest problem is to mantain a serious conversation in a foreign language! I hate it! It's so easy to look like a schmuck in a foreing language!!!!!:mad:

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 19:25
Thanks Nana, I second the above comments, I really enjoyed your work to. I already searched around and found your work on photo.net before you posted the link, such was my desire to see it! You've got your self an impressive body of work, I especially like ''Misty#5'' but theres plenty other too that I enjoyed. Is ''Misty#5'' a silver print?

Who stocks your photography book?

kev

Misty #5 is a silver contact print from a 8x10 negative, printed on Agfa 111 Classic FB paper, sellenium toned.
As to my book, it's a book about the wine, vinyard and all the stuff that is involved on the process of the wine culture, the vinyards, the people who work on the whole process of culture and transformation.
I was born in a wine culture zone, 50 km from Lisbon. I grew up seeing all the people involved in this activity, working on that. I worked a few summers, when I was a youngman, collecting grapes to make wine. it was a (hard) way to raise some money for hollydays.
Two years ago, the mayor of Torres Vedras, my home town, invited me to make this book, "Da Vinha ao Vinho", wich means "From Vinyard to Wine". The book is a very nice deluxe edition, it was the most important release of the year in that little town. It is distributed only by the city hall but, they are doing an excellent job in promoting the book. There is, also, an exhibition of 77 fiberbase prints (I printed all, at my lab) wich is now on the road, in severall towns in Portugal and will be travelling all over Europe. Unfortunatelly, most part of the photos are medium format, I have just a few 4x5" photos, otherwise, I would post some of them here!

Thank you for your interest!

Nana Sousa Dias
1-Mar-2009, 19:25
I'll give it a go:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/2806728568_a24a41d5e9_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3058/2301634046_4f211d63a3_o.jpg

I like these a lot!

kev curry
2-Mar-2009, 01:01
Thanks Nana. You've got me all intrigued with your book.

A man who can not only speak in multiple languages but also write very well in those language's ain't no schmuck.:-)

Nana Sousa Dias
2-Mar-2009, 06:06
Thanks Nana. You've got me all intrigued with your book.

A man who can not only speak in multiple languages but also write very well in those language's ain't no schmuck.:-)

Thank, Kev

it's not big deal, here in portugal, we used to study english and french, at school, it was part of the educational national program, now, only english is part of the program, wich I think is not correct, because most part of European Union speaks french.
As to the spanish, is not very different from portuguese, we understand each others well.
But, you know, it's always difficult to express yourself in a foreign language, especially, when you are trying to comunicate complex ideas.

My email is nanasousadias@gmail.com, if you send me a message, I will send you some photographs of the book.
here are two of them.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9499/2portos7.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=2portos7.jpg)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3633/pintanegrag.jpg (http://img128.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pintanegrag.jpg)

Allen in Montreal
2-Mar-2009, 15:04
Nana,

I sort of agree about luck, but truly great photographers are great because they have wisdom and ability to do great things in that split second of opportunity!
Pure luck only brings a great picture once, your average is way beyond! :)
Well done.

I would not worry about throwing in some native tongue words, a translation is a click of a mouse away, and how could anyone be bothered by that, coming from such a positive and prolific contributor to the forum!

Well, this photo was a huge amount of luck! I was out just for trying a Cokin filter holder wich I had cut out, (I cutted out two of the filter guides) to see if there was any vigneting, with the Super Angulon 47. This stuff (I don't know the right name for these eolic generators, in english!) is about 1 mile from my house, I went there because I knew this could be a good place to do those experiments. This cloud apeared running really fast (the wind was really strong that day) when I was just ready to press the cable release. Incredibly, the cloud aligned exactly with the propeller!!!!
Sometimes I think the old "decisive moment" stuff has more to do with luck than with photographic skill!!!!:D
I think Cartier-Bresson was a lucky guy!!! He was, of course, a great photographer but also, a lucky one, I think!
Of course, there is a nice story about Wagner, who was accused by his composer and musician pairs of being a lucky guy because he was living near the king and nobles and he was being supported by them.
He answered the accusation like this:
"You are right, I am a lucky guy but, when the luck came to me I was working, at my piano!":D

Sorry for my poor english but, that's the best I can do!!! I hope this is understandable!!!

Bloody net, nowadays I spend most of my day writing in english, french, spanish, etc.
Many times when I'm speaking my own language (portuguese) I find myself thinking in english, french, etc, trying to find the right portuguese word!!!!! And the biggest problem is to mantain a serious conversation in a foreign language! I hate it! It's so easy to look like a schmuck in a foreing language!!!!!:mad:

Nana Sousa Dias
2-Mar-2009, 17:46
Nana,

I sort of agree about luck, but truly great photographers are great because they have wisdom and ability to do great things in that split second of opportunity!
Pure luck only brings a great picture once, your average is way beyond! :)
Well done.

I would not worry about throwing in some native tongue words, a translation is a click of a mouse away, and how could anyone be bothered by that, coming from such a positive and prolific contributor to the forum!

Thank you very much, Allen!

Hey, do you live in Montreal, Canada?

Colin Graham
7-Mar-2009, 10:22
3 minutes, lucked out on a lull in the wind.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3334528646_b7882aff87_o.jpg

Jiri Vasina
7-Mar-2009, 10:33
Colin, that is quite extraordinary...

Nana Sousa Dias
7-Mar-2009, 12:23
3 minutes, lucked out on a lull in the wind.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3352/3334528646_b7882aff87_o.jpg

Very nice photo!

Colin Graham
7-Mar-2009, 13:44
Thanks Jiri and Nana

jvuokko
9-Mar-2009, 07:43
Boulder on icy sea. 90mm f/64, one hour:
http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/icysea.jpg

Cityscape reflections. 90mm f/22, 15 minutes:
http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/cityscape.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
9-Mar-2009, 08:03
Hello Jukka,, nice shots,,, how in the world was you able to figure out the exposure in that first shot?

jvuokko
9-Mar-2009, 09:15
Hello Jukka,, nice shots,,, how in the world was you able to figure out the exposure in that first shot?

Thank you!

When I visualized the image and begun the exposure, there were much more light. The night fell faster than I had expected, so after I realized that it's way too dark for my original exposure time (which was about 8 minutes) I thought about times when I did lot of star and sky photography. I remember that ISO 400 film and exposure time 8 seconds with f/4 gave usually bit too light skies at suburb areas.
I calculated the final time 1 hour from that exposure. The film I used was Neopan acros 100 which does not suffer much from reciprocity. Probably additional 1/2 EV (30 minutes) would done good for shadow values but after waiting of one hour, I was so frozen that I thought that one hour have to be enough :)

Steve M Hostetter
11-Mar-2009, 20:00
near the town of Flatrock IN
8x10 chrome 210mm @f32 for 12 sec.

Steve M Hostetter
11-Mar-2009, 20:13
Somerset KY taken 3-5 years ago
8x10" B&W Polaroid iso 100 cropped, @f32 6 hours for night exposure

Jan Pedersen
13-Mar-2009, 20:01
Inspired by the pure will to indure long hours of exposure, this is an 8 minute exposure on Fuji 64T 4x5 120mm

Kirk Keyes
13-Mar-2009, 21:20
Jan - that's nice!

(I've always been to nervous to go down there and try some shots like that. I suppose there's a lot fewer bums hanging around in the winter.)

Turner Reich
13-Mar-2009, 22:07
My exposures under the redwoods run around 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

“The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.”

I think of this everytime I drive through the Redwoods.

Jan Pedersen
14-Mar-2009, 09:19
Thanks Kirk. There still are a lot of suspicious people around so i think it would be best to be at least two when taking photos in that neighborhood.

xmishx
14-Mar-2009, 09:57
Jan,

Looks like you sucessfully figured out your colour issues. Very nice shot!

Ted

Jan Pedersen
14-Mar-2009, 15:14
Thanks Ted, appreciate your comment. Exposure was just a lucky guess.

Steve M Hostetter
14-Mar-2009, 16:31
Inspired by the pure will to indure long hours of exposure, this is an 8 minute exposure on Fuji 64T 4x5 120mm

Jan,, this is sweet , makes me wanna get some tungsten film

jim kitchen
17-Mar-2009, 21:23
Great images everyone... :)

jim k

Natural Bridge, Kicking Horse River, Yoho National Park, British Columbia, Canada, 1986

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/86082407.jpg

chardl
26-Apr-2009, 07:47
Developed my film for the first time yesterday. 2mins. Ilford delta 100 4x5.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9050600-lg.jpg

PaulRicciardi
26-Apr-2009, 17:14
Shot my first tintype today, 8 minute exposure:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3477476251_61f21a9ccf_o.jpg

vinny
26-Apr-2009, 21:14
Jim, the natural bridge shot very well done.
Chardl, nice shot too.

chardl
27-Apr-2009, 02:15
Jim, the natural bridge shot very well done.
Chardl, nice shot too.

Thanks vinny.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9045993-lg.jpg

Incoherent Fool
29-Apr-2009, 21:56
2 minutes on a very windy day:

http://static.zooomr.com/images/7229768_9b1f02d66b_o.jpg

vinny
29-Apr-2009, 22:55
Fool, that's a hell of a nice shot.

shileshjani
30-Apr-2009, 07:20
Zone VI Camera, Nikon M-300 Lens, Fuji Provia, 6-Stop ND Filter, 4 Minute Exposure at f32.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3017062-md.jpg

Kerik Kouklis
30-Apr-2009, 09:42
Shot my first tintype today, 8 minute exposure:

Is this a collodion tintype or Rockaloid? Either way, it seems WAY overexposed.

jnantz
30-Apr-2009, 09:54
the blue sky faded into the night
the darkness brought black clouds
and rain in buckets
just here, nowhere else

PaulRicciardi
30-Apr-2009, 18:36
Is this a collodion tintype or Rockaloid? Either way, it seems WAY overexposed.

I agree exposure is way off, just getting the hang of this, but still happy I got something

It was a dry plate...I guess it's similar to the rockaloid? I'm using the rockland positive developer but with some liquid emulsion a friend gave me. I'm not sure which one it is though-it's just in a small black bottle. I guessed liquid light so I metered it at ISO 1.5...but that was obviously wrong. It could be AG plus-that's apparently a faster emulsion.

The photo was taken in the creek that runs behind my house, I shoot back there all of the time and exposures are generally long. For reference, I've shot that same location with my 4x5... F/45 on Efke 25 is about a 2 minute exposure. The tintype was at F/32 and the aforementioned 8 minutes.

I'm currently sick as a dog, but once I start feeling better I plan on taking the 8x10 back out to the creek with a few more plate holders. I'll probably meter at ISO6 this time-we'll see what happens!!

jnantz
30-Apr-2009, 18:49
if it is regular old liquid light
it is about asa 5 or thereabouts.
if you have a blue filter, put it on your meter, it will
help you with your exposure.

have fun!

john

Allen in Montreal
30-Apr-2009, 19:02
some really nice stuff here!

PaulRicciardi
30-Apr-2009, 19:10
if it is regular old liquid light
it is about asa 5 or thereabouts.
if you have a blue filter, put it on your meter, it will
help you with your exposure.

have fun!

john

Thanks John, I'll keep that in mind next time I go to shoot
much appreciated

rcjtapio
1-May-2009, 10:43
Our LF group (Midwest Large Format Asylum) went to Grand Rapids, Michigan last month for our outing. I tried experimenting with exposing at night & using a compensating development. I was pretty happy with the results. The film is Tri-X 4X5 (exposed for about 5 minutes) and the developer is HC110 using the dilution found in Bruce Barnbaum's book.

Richard M. Coda
9-Nov-2009, 18:31
Something new for me... night photography.

My daughter is taking a life drawing class at her school on Wednesday evenings. I pick her up from school, take her out to eat, we sit in the courtyard at school while she does her homework, then I drop her off at 6 PM. Then I have 2 hours to get something on film with the 8x10. These are my first three attempts, all in Phoenix. All Arca 8x10 on TMax 400.

Chicago Hamburger Company (Fuji 600C)
f/45-2/3 @ 27 sec.

Central Library (Fuji 450C)
f/32 @ 53 sec.

Star Spangled Banner (Fuji 300A)
f/45-2/3 @ 18 min

gevalia
10-Nov-2009, 03:02
Something new for me... night photography.

My daughter is taking a life drawing class at her school on Wednesday evenings. I pick her up from school, take her out to eat, we sit in the courtyard at school while she does her homework, then I drop her off at 6 PM. Then I have 2 hours to get something on film with the 8x10. These are my first three attempts, all in Phoenix. All Arca 8x10 on TMax 400.

Chicago Hamburger Company (Fuji 600C)
f/45-2/3 @ 27 sec.

Central Library (Fuji 450C)
f/32 @ 53 sec.

Star Spangled Banner (Fuji 300A)
f/45-2/3 @ 18 min

Ah, Indian School Road. Brings back good memories. I worked for a few years in Phoenix, well, actually 2 weeks in Phoenix then back to CT for 1 week. Did this for a few years. Got to the point where I would sometimes wake up and not know what state I was in for a few moments. But the people were great. I would pass Indian School Road on my way to Camelback from the airport.

jvuokko
10-Nov-2009, 12:36
45 seconds @f/22, Symmar-S 150mm

http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/45_2009-10-29-3%20oasis%20of%20the%20seas%20vuescan-area%20web.jpg

jon.oman
10-Nov-2009, 17:28
Nice shot! It looks like a floating city.

al olson
10-Nov-2009, 18:48
Jukka,

That looks like a ship called The World. People purchase condos on The World for $1M on up depending on the configuration and number of rooms. The ship tours around the world once a year, stopping at many ports.

You own the condo so you can bring guests along. Sadly I don't know anyone who owns one of the condos.

They have a constantly running water taxi system so passengers can go back and forth from the ship to the port. I saw it once, moored out in the harbor of Bar Harbor, Maine.

Anyway, I am guessing that's the ship. Can you identify it?

Struan Gray
11-Nov-2009, 01:05
Al, I'm guessing Oasis of the Seas, which was built in Jukka's home town, Turku.

YouTube has some cool videos of it squeaking under the Danish Storebælt bridge to get out into the open seas.

jvuokko
11-Nov-2009, 09:08
Yes, it's Oasis of the Seas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Oasis_of_the_Seas).
A quite impressive ship.

soeren
12-Nov-2009, 11:40
Yes It was in the news the night it passed the Great Belt Brigde. For some wierd reason they closed the Bridge for road traffic when the ship passed. Some of the guys in the surveillance room was, hmm lets just say, a bit vorried :p
Best regards

Jeremy Moore
21-Nov-2009, 11:52
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4122784240_57a026387a_b.jpg
4x5, 135mm lens, ~10min @ f/16 on FP4+.

Steve Gledhill
21-Nov-2009, 13:11
This image is not exactly unique - I could almost feel the worn tripod holes as I positioned my tripod. It's the last picture out of 50-odd 5x4 b&w pictures on my 204 mile 23 (non-consecutive) days walk on the Cotswold Way that I've been recording in my photoblog - www.virtuallygrey.blogspot.com. I finished the walk earlier this week. My final blog entry (in a few days time) will be my look back on the walk.

The Cotswold Way is a 102 mile long National Trail running between Chipping Campden and Bath which I walked in both directions with my 5x4 gear.

The full set of b&w pictures is at www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/portfolio65493p1.html.

http://www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/files/9311/2270pulteneybridgeno2.jpg

The Pulteney Bridge & Weir - Bath
Nikkor 135mm - 2 minutes @ f32

vphill
22-Nov-2009, 01:22
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/4124329900_163af35560_b.jpg
4x5, 135mm lens, 22min @ f/16 on FP4+.

ThePhilosopher
22-Nov-2009, 17:56
Only 2 seconds here: The Texas Capitol at night.

Schneider Xenar 150mm, 2 sec exposure, f/11, Portra160VC 4x5.
http://www.bartkophoto.com/Photos/Urban/Capitol_001_s.jpg

Gary L. Quay
23-Nov-2009, 03:30
On Burnside, Portland, Oregon.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3861882191_458723fe72.jpg

Camera: Deardorff V8.
Lens: 12" Kodak Ektar.
Film: Ilford HP5+ developed in Kodak HC-110.

ThePhilosopher
25-Nov-2009, 17:06
Two of Stargazer Lilies, I wanted to see how the different films would react to the same situation:

Schneider Xenar 150mm f/5.6, 25s, f/11, Portra 160VC.
http://bartkophoto.com/Photos/Nature/Lily_002_s.jpg
Schneider Xenar 150mm f/5.6, 6s, f/5.6, cross-processed Velvia 50.
http://bartkophoto.com/Photos/Nature/Lily_002c_s.jpg

Sascha Welter
26-Nov-2009, 04:42
Not much of a composition, but wooohooo, star trails in the city!

http://betabug.ch/ouzo/water/arca/night_in_dorieon_startrails.jpg

Arca-Swiss 6x9, Symmar f=100, f:16, 12 minutes, Fuji 160 Pro S

I'm way off the "suggested" reciprocity abilities of the film here, measured LV -2 on the sky above me, gave it 2 stops darker than that, corrected as for T-Max + 20%... so I arrived at 12 minutes.

There's a neon sign "bursting out" below the left bottom corner.

Stephane
26-Nov-2009, 14:17
Both shot on 4x5 provia in South Africa last year. It was full moon (that helps). The one with the sheep is for 30mns, the other for 1 h caugth sunset colours, street lights in front and moon light.

curtis roberts
27-Oct-2010, 08:57
Metetred 1mim expoed 5min efke100@50-Xtol 1to1 9min in tray

zcary
28-Oct-2010, 11:03
Stockholm about 1 am. Tri-X 320, f16, 90 secs, developed in Xtol 1:1 in 6 mins

Jim Cole
28-Oct-2010, 13:27
Very nice! Love the blackness.

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2010, 14:01
I did another wedding, about an hour, everything as slow as possible, and a ND9, it got pretty dense and the scan is noisy. Of course I was down in there the whole time but not using much of a flash.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/irene_josh_time_001.jpg

Jeff Bannow
28-Oct-2010, 14:09
I did another wedding, about an hour, everything as slow as possible, and a ND9, it got pretty dense and the scan is noisy. Of course I was down in there the whole time but not using much of a flash.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/irene_josh_time_001.jpg

Nice Frank. I can see the sale pitch - "I gaurantee I will cover every moment of your special day on film!"

Frank Petronio
28-Oct-2010, 19:17
Haha just hand them that at the end ;-)

Gary L. Quay
29-Oct-2010, 03:18
Mount Hood Railroad Locomotive, September 2010

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1148/5118417349_716af64693_z.jpg

Camera: Deardorff 8x10 with 4x5 back.
Lens: 19" Goerz APO Artar.
Film: Kodak Tri-X 320 developed in Kodak D76.

mrkauffman
29-Oct-2010, 04:17
Here are 2 long exposures from the Everglades i took back in January.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp155/kauffmanV36/Everglades/Untitled-22.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp155/kauffmanV36/Everglades/Untitled-389.jpg

Richard Wasserman
29-Oct-2010, 08:33
About 5 minutes FP4+in Pyrocat

cdholden
29-Oct-2010, 09:00
Nice.
Where is this lock located? It looks familiar, but I can't place it. I spent a lot of time wandering the Everglades, as well as a little bit of Big Cypress and Loxahatchee, for birding pics several years ago. I'm just wondering why it seems so familiar.
Thanks.
Chris

Here are 2 long exposures from the Everglades i took back in January.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp155/kauffmanV36/Everglades/Untitled-22.jpg

Thomas Greutmann
30-Oct-2010, 01:50
Hamburg, the new Elbphilharmonie (concert hall) under construction. It will be a new landmark but right now with costs at about 100% over budget it is taxpayers' nightmare. Anyway, an interesting structure.

Chamonix 4x5 with Symmar 135mm, TMAX 400, f11 @ 30 sec., developed in XTOL

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/sample/000568-ll-hamburg-elbphilharmonie-night.jpg

cjbroadbent
30-Oct-2010, 13:41
I just noticed, looking at the work-sheet, that this was a ten minute exposure on Ektachrome T. It is weak daylight cominig in two windows - but the background is painted that way to project the light further across behind the subject shadow side.
Taking about Inv.Sq.Law; the left side is flagged over to dodge excessive exposure.
However, no artificial window can match the real thing for what you might call 'throw'.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_OR3U2BmIDuk/SdniX20SE_I/AAAAAAAAAnM/AHkITPIAAGM/s800/naturaMorta.jpg

mrkauffman
30-Oct-2010, 21:38
cdholden,

its right before the bend onto loop road coming from krome on 8th street. Thanks

Joanna Carter
31-Oct-2010, 01:38
I almost forgot this one, from the same café as the colour shot on page 11 of this thread - 25secs:

http://grandes-images.com/en/Heritage_%26_Restoration_files/Media/MorlaixLeGrandCafeDeLaTerrasseN%26B/MorlaixLeGrandCafeDeLaTerrasseN%26B.jpg

maddoc2003jp
5-Nov-2010, 07:57
My first attempts using a large format camera (Linhof Technika IV) outside .... :eek: All three taken last week Friday after work. The bridge is a railway bridge over a small river near my apartment, connecting the prefectures Tokyo and Kawasaki. All with a Fujinon-W 180/5.6 and on 100ACROS Quickload sheets. Developer was Rodinal.

10min f/32 Rodinal 1:120 1hour stand-development

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4011/5148110369_ed728dbbe1_b.jpg

16min f/32

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1147/5134534573_e4c61f68fe_b.jpg

8min f/22 (Here I judged the tilt wrong ...)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1233/5137653097_ccae14de19_b.jpg

Thanks for looking !
Gabor

bobwysiwyg
5-Nov-2010, 08:37
Very nice. I'm impressed with the long exposure outcome. ;)

Edwin Beckenbach
5-Nov-2010, 19:46
Santa Monica Blvd. October 31st 2010
135mm Sironar-S f32 E100VS 4 minutes, processed -1

http://www.sunlightwings.com/images/large/EHB0565large.jpg

JR Steel
5-Nov-2010, 20:29
My first attempts using a large format camera (Linhof Technika IV) outside .... :eek: All three taken last week Friday after work. The bridge is a railway bridge over a small river near my apartment, connecting the prefectures Tokyo and Kawasaki. All with a Fujinon-W 180/5.6 and on 100ACROS Quickload sheets. Developer was Rodinal.

10min f/32 Rodinal 1:120 1hour stand-development

Thanks for looking !
Gabor

Excellent Gabor! The development looks very even for such long times. Could you share a little about your technique? Thanks, Jim

Thomas Greutmann
19-Nov-2010, 00:48
Hamburg, Alster fountain

Chamonix 4x5 with APO Ronar 360, TMAX 400, 30 seconds exposure, developed in XTOL straight

http://www.blackandwhitegallery.de/konvert/000569-lg-hamburg-rathaus-alster-night.jpg

vinny
29-Nov-2010, 18:47
Edwin, that's nice. Can't believe you took your gear here on halloween. Where were you set up?

cdholden
29-Nov-2010, 19:45
cdholden,

its right before the bend onto loop road coming from krome on 8th street. Thanks

I wish you had answered a couple of weeks ago. We just got back from Florida early yesterday morning. I could have stopped for an updated photo!

Chris

hiroki
30-Nov-2010, 03:32
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5213760017_30d42162b6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirokun/5213760017/lightbox/)

Linhof Master Technika Classic 4x5
on RDP III
view of Yoyogi + Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan

Miguel Coquis
30-Nov-2010, 03:48
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5213760017_30d42162b6_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirokun/5213760017/lightbox/)

on RDP III

great night city scape, bravo !!!

Hovmod
30-Nov-2010, 04:56
Singapore - the Merlion and Marina Bay Sands
About a minute, I seem to remember.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/5169199098_b6a537b0a6_b.jpg

Edwin Beckenbach
30-Nov-2010, 11:17
Edwin, that's nice. Can't believe you took your gear here on halloween. Where were you set up?

I was set up all over the place. I'd find spots that were blocked to foot traffic such as between a trashcan and a newspaper dispenser or set my tripod half in fenced off planters.

Wayne Crider
30-Nov-2010, 21:38
Just wondering why some of the images (especially Jim Kitchen's) don't display for me. Server's?

Sean Galbraith
13-Dec-2010, 08:08
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5255425171_6e80410aa3_b.jpg
Linhof 90mm + FP5 + about 60 seconds

tbeaman
19-Dec-2010, 18:16
I don't know why I haven't posted this yet, but I finally got around to processing some shots a couple of weeks ago, and this was one of the first (though it's one of the most recent taken).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5290/5200829831_15c0018eb3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombeaman/5200829831/)
Parc Lafontaine, Montreal

Speed Graphic, 135 Optar, very expired Portra 100T

Shailendra
19-Dec-2010, 18:17
Bodie, CA during a Nocturnes workshop.

Kodak E100VS
Toyo 4x5 AX
210mm (cant remember the lens)

Donald Miller
19-Dec-2010, 18:22

on RDP III

Very nicely done

Richard M. Coda
20-Dec-2010, 17:54
http://www.rcodaphotography.com/new/vegas005.jpg

Aria Hotel/City Center, Las Vegas, November 2010
1 minute, f/32, TMax 100

Richard M. Coda
20-Dec-2010, 17:55
I don't know why I haven't posted this yet, but I finally got around to processing some shots a couple of weeks ago, and this was one of the first (though it's one of the most recent taken).

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5290/5200829831_15c0018eb3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tombeaman/5200829831/)
Parc Lafontaine, Montreal

Speed Graphic, 135 Optar, very expired Portra 100T

I love this image!

Shailendra
20-Dec-2010, 20:52
I love this image!

Reminds me of Gregory Crewdson type work..Very well done

Jiri Vasina
22-Dec-2010, 01:46
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p13x18-386_web.jpg (http://www.vasina.net/?p=2894)

Leaves

Chamonix 5×8″, Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 210mm, 13×18cm, Wephota NP 15 @ EI 25, N development in Rodinal. Full frame.

612tom
22-Dec-2010, 03:19
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5045/5257125483_b51091348f_z.jpg
4x10", 210mm Symmar S, Provia, 1.5 minutes

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5166/5257735576_47b6a27f98_z.jpg
4x10", 210mm Symmar S, Provia, 2 minutes

Jim Cole
22-Dec-2010, 05:11
Chamonix 5×8″, Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 210mm, 13×18cm, Wephota NP 15 @ EI 25, N development in Rodinal. Full frame.

Hey Jiri,
Nice to see you back with another nice image. Seems like you've been away for a while.

Jiri Vasina
22-Dec-2010, 05:22
Jim, yes, there was a hiatus in my work and also in frequenting this site. But I think I'm back for good... ;)

Jiri

Gary Sommer
23-Dec-2010, 11:32
Welcome back Jiri, very nice leaves.

Gary

Michael Wynd
30-Dec-2010, 21:42
Nice to see Melbourne on LF colour film. You should try a horizontal of the length of the outside of Flinders St station.
Mike

SMBooth
30-Dec-2010, 22:30
Nice to see Melbourne on LF colour film. You should try a horizontal of the length of the outside of Flinders St station.
Mike

What and get his camera stolen....

Nice images Tom.

612tom
3-Jan-2011, 18:19
What and get his camera stolen....

Nice images Tom.

Thanks!

I could hire you two guys to be my "heavies" and surround me when I'm under the darkcloth... :)

Michael Wynd
3-Jan-2011, 23:01
If I was still in Victoria, that'd be me and Shane
Mike

Vaughn
5-Jan-2011, 22:19
Multiple semi-long exposures, adding up to a a nice long one!

Scanned contact print (8x10)

johnmsanderson
6-Jan-2011, 08:42
4x5

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5083/5226040076_c72cc24bb4.jpg

bobwysiwyg
6-Jan-2011, 10:04
John, very nice. I really like the balance of red contributed by the vehicle tail lights and the star affect on the street lamps. :)

Stephane
8-Jan-2011, 11:21
View from the terrasse of my room, 21st December full moon. Legzira, Morocco. Sinar norma 5x7. 10mn, magnifying glass (easy to focus by moonlight)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5289/5336610148_5aba847eed_b.jpg

austin granger
12-Jan-2011, 10:32
Hello. Here is the Astoria Bridge, at the mouth of the Columbia River.

http://austingranger.com/web/lights/21-astoria_bridge.jpg

And here it is again, this time in color (yes, believe it or not, that's color).

http://austingranger.com/web/astoria/09-02_bridge_from_east_mooring_basin.jpg

www.austingranger.com

Liam:
12-Jan-2011, 11:12
Austin, the first image is epic.

Are you able to reveal film/developer?

Liam:
12-Jan-2011, 11:58
Really enjoyed your website as well, especially the b&w images!

Gary L. Quay
12-Jan-2011, 12:35
Still Life with Nookie
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5043/5349864690_6bc768a086.jpg
I also posted this in the January Still Lifes thread.

I was a little reticent about putting this image up. It's a little playful and a little naughty, and it has a not-well-hidden joke in it. But, my wife assured me that it wasn't in bad taste, so here it is.

This is the first test drive of my 12" Darlot Hemispherical lens. Using the Jim Gali method of determining f-stop with an unknown opening, which in this case was 4mm, and a bellows extension of 452mm, the effective f-stop was f114, which put my measured exposure at 7 minutes. Using the official Ilford equation (EC=EM to the exponent of 1.48), my reciprocity correction for HP5+ shot at 200 ASA was 2 hours and a few minutes! I opened the packard shutter, and walked away. In developing, I subtracted 15% for the lower ASA, and 20% for reciprocity, leaving me at a developing time of 9 minutes (yes, I fudged the time because I wanted slightly more contrast) at 68 degrees. My developer was PMK Pyro. The negative is still a little thinner than I wanted, but when using a graded paper, it pops quite well.

Camera: Calumet C-1 with 8x10 back.
Lens: 12" Darlot Hemispherical.
Film: Ilford FP4+ developed in PMK Pyro.
Contact printed on Arista II RC Grade 4 (discontinued, drat!) developed in Ansco 130.

austin granger
12-Jan-2011, 14:05
Really enjoyed your website as well, especially the b&w images!

Thanks Liam, I appreciate it. That first picture was made with an 8x10 camera on Ilford HP5. I can't recall the lens (either a fuji 240 or fuji 300) as it was some years ago. I do know I used an ND filter to smooth out the water. As far as developing goes, at the time I was having a lab develop my film and then I would make the prints, so I'm not sure. Nothing special though-just 'normal' developing.

Oh, and I made the shot out of a second floor hotel room window, which worked great to keep off the wind!

Austin

lordmint
5-Feb-2011, 05:10
This is a 9-min exposure I did a couple days back. I've been bitten by the long exposure bug over the past month or so.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5014/5417939368_a5b5cef2fa_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordmint/5417939368/)

Cambo Legend 8x10, Caltar S-II 300mm
Ilford Delta 100, Hc110 Dil E (1:47) 7mins @ 20C

sanchi heuser
5-Feb-2011, 06:27
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5329714096_37378fc48f_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58013730@N08/5329714096/)
Ultraviolet #1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58013730@N08/5329714096/) von andi_heuser (http://www.flickr.com/people/58013730@N08/) auf Flickr

It's just paper covered with fluorescent paint.
The exposure needed 10 h with UV-light.
Maybe I try this again with a strong UV-Filter.
But I don't know where to get the ASA 3000 film in 4x5 or 8x10.
Or is pushing a slower film an option?

Critics welcome.

johnmsanderson
5-Feb-2011, 09:12
Very nice, austin. Love your color work as well. I want to upgrade to 810 for some shots...

I actually prefer the second bridge shot! big skies feel so liberating.

JWaldinger
3-Mar-2011, 19:55
~2 min exposure
tmax 100
chamonix 45n-2

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/4559524758_ce273b88db_b.jpg

http://www.justinwaldinger.com

Scratched Glass
10-Mar-2011, 07:15
I like that mood of your photo Justin.

Frank Bunnik
11-Mar-2011, 11:18
Tmax 400, Super Angulon 5.6 90mm at f/45, exposed for 12 minutes.

szadow
16-Mar-2011, 04:44
This was my first ever large format photograph, taken some time ago :)

Graflex Crown Graphic + Kodak Ektar 127mm/f4
Exposure 12 minutes F16 ISO25
Film: Adox 25 4x5''
Dev: Rodinal 1:100 1hour stand development, 20 inversions during first 30 seconds then let it stand for an hour
Scanned with Epson 4870

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/4956885222_1ba8c47e40_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macieklesniak/4956885222/)

Jim Cole
16-Mar-2011, 06:10
Wow! First LF image AND at night. Impressive!

JoeV
20-Mar-2011, 10:36
Post-flashed** grade 2 paper negative, 8"x10" format pinhole box camera, 20 minutes exposure. The Catwalk in southern New Mexico, between Glenwood and Silver City.

~Joe

(**Post flashing: giving the paper an even, dim exposure of light, after the in-camera exposure and right before development, to improve shadow detail and tame contrast. Results similar to pre-flashing.)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5542881726_619336db59_b.jpg

Greg Lockrey
21-Mar-2011, 05:15
Pinhole photo on Fuji Color (Polaroid). 30 sec with Zero Image 4x5 set for 50mm

spkennedy3000
21-Mar-2011, 05:26
Lovely work Greg.

Greg Lockrey
21-Mar-2011, 07:54
Lovely work Greg.

Thanks for taking he time to comment.

Donald Miller
21-Mar-2011, 08:26
Very nice Greg...quite evocative. Hope that things are going well for you.

ImSoNegative
21-Mar-2011, 08:53

Very Cool!!

Brian K
21-Mar-2011, 09:26
Here's one from Scotland. I can't recall exactly but I think 20-30 minutes.

vinny
21-Mar-2011, 10:19
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4257897383_a1d24ce109_z.jpg

Los angeles 2010
Efke 25 n+2

Jiri Vasina
21-Mar-2011, 10:25
Wonderful one, Vinny... I can't help but see a hint of face in the rock... and that adds the mysteriousness...

Jiri

viablex1
21-Mar-2011, 11:00
Pinhole photo on Fuji Color (Polaroid). 30 sec with Zero Image 4x5 set for 50mm

man that is nice!!!

Shailendra
21-Mar-2011, 11:18
Here's one from Scotland. I can't recall exactly but I think 20-30 minutes.

Very nice...good to see you posting images again..

Greg Lockrey
21-Mar-2011, 16:03
Very nice Greg...quite evocative. Hope that things are going well for you.

Thanks Don. Working on "the going well" part. ;)

Greg Lockrey
21-Mar-2011, 16:06
man that is nice!!!

thanks man!

Here's another pinhole same everything as before but 15 sec.
I like the sunburst play in this one.

Ramiro Elena
23-Mar-2011, 13:03
About a second or two... Didn't see the couple walking across until now.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5553419811_24473fd65f_b.jpg

al olson
23-Mar-2011, 15:39
I believe that this one may have been posted on a different thread, I think about reciprocity. If I am repeating myself, my deepest apologies.

This is a nine hour exposure made in late November, after nautical twilight in the evening to before nautical twilight in the morning. The photo shows the blowout from the headlights when my backyard neighbor returned as well as from window lights.

The film, as I recall, was Portra 160VC. The aperture was between F/8 and f/11. The camera is a Tech IV with too much rise for the 150mm Symmar.

http://www.photo-artiste.com/images/pagosa/startrails3.jpg

tilberien
30-Mar-2011, 12:35
3 minutes - exposure was long as sand watch was running - Foma 100@100, plan 9x12, f16, 3 minutes, developer - PMK Pyro

All opinions are welcomed. Thanx

Greg Lockrey
2-Apr-2011, 09:50
"Cold Furnace Midland-Ross"
30 minute exposure f/22 90mm SA Cambo SC
Plus-X
-30% development
Film was pre-flashed

There was one light 50 feet above.

macandal
21-Apr-2011, 12:47
I'm very interested in long exposures. While I don't have any LF long exposures, I have dabbled in it before, with my digital SLR. You can check out my pictures (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11460465@N02/sets/72157608363714141/) on my flickr account.

Anyway, I see a lot of great pictures here, but I have a question. Some of these pictures were taken with some kind of light available, like street lamps and such, but the pictures I've taken have had no sources of light. Sutro Baths, here in San Francisco, where I took my pictures, was pitch black. I could not see the ruins. It was only after the 8 minutes or so of exposure that I was able to see what was behind the darkness. Later I tried to do a long exposure of the Golden Gate bridge, but, because it was illuminated, I got nothing, I mean, I had a smudge of white because of all the light. Some of you guys, however, also had light and managed excellent shots.

My question is this: how do you do it? Go easy, I'm a newbie and I'm trying to learn. Thanks.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2972311948_4c8ac939f3.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11460465@N02/2972311948/)
Rocks (http://www.flickr.com/photos/11460465@N02/2972311948/) by macandal (http://www.flickr.com/people/11460465@N02/), on Flickr

Stephane
21-Apr-2011, 14:31
To tame the highlights, you can:
- use a compensating developer (like highly diluted rodinal).
- shorten your development time.
- in-camera dodging, which is using masks in front of the lens while photographing.

I cannot think of anything else, but there must be something else you could do...

mat4226
25-Apr-2011, 17:35
Not too long an exposure, ~8 seconds @ f/11.5 Eastman Commercial B 8x10 on Kodak Portra 400NC.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5655289513_eaa8821f03_z.jpg

atlcruiser
25-Apr-2011, 19:12
Not too long an exposure, ~8 seconds @ f/11.5 Eastman Commercial B 8x10 on Kodak Portra 400NC.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5655289513_eaa8821f03_z.jpg

That makes me want to order the porta 400NC

wonderful!

atlcruiser
25-Apr-2011, 19:14
f45/4 min
foma rodonal 1-50 8 min roller
deardorff 810
dust and fingerprints by david :)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5655649339_02a1000016_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53092319@N04/5655649339/)
cc mid364.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/53092319@N04/5655649339/) by urbanlandcruiser (http://www.flickr.com/people/53092319@N04/), on Flickr