PDA

View Full Version : NYC Tripod rules

cyrus
11-Aug-2008, 14:33
As of Aug 13 2008, it appears that you won't need a permit to use a tripod in NYC as long as you're also not taking up more than 1/2 of the sidewalk. Note the definition of "handheld devices"
(MORE: http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloads/pdf/moftb_permit_rules_final.pdf)

The following activities do not require that a permit be obtained pursuant to this
chapter:
(i) Filming, photography, production, television or radio remotes occurring on City
property, as described in subdivision (a) of this section, involving the use of handheld devices as defined in paragraph three of subdivision (a) of § 9-02, (A) if such activity does not involve ... exclusive use of one or more lanes of a street or walkway of a bridge or (B) if such activity does not involve the assertion...of exclusive use of more than one-half of a sidewalk or other pedestrian passageway...

AND paragraph three of subdivision (a) of § 9-02 says:

(3)“Hand-held devices” shall mean (a) film, still or television cameras, videocameras or other equipment which are held in the photographer's or filmmaker’s hand and carried at all times with the photographer or filmmaker during the course of filming, or (b) tripods used to support film, still, television cameras or videocameras...

So since handheld photography equipment is allowed, and tripods are defined as being handheld, then you don't need a permit for tripod photography as long as you're leaving 1/2 of the sidewalk free for pedestrians.

Walter Calahan
11-Aug-2008, 17:02
Does anyone follow the rules in New York? Grin.

sanchi heuser
13-Aug-2008, 02:51
That's great! Thank you.
What's the situation in other cities?
I have heard ,that there's a tripod restriction in Paris,France.
Any information?

cyrus
13-Aug-2008, 08:20
That's great! Thank you.
What's the situation in other cities?
I have heard ,that there's a tripod restriction in Paris,France.
Any information?

If you even touch the ground with a tripod in Paris, alarm bells go off somewhere and some gendarme will come running, according to what I've heard. That's why I stick to handdheld 4x5.

Greg Miller
13-Aug-2008, 09:15
OK - we need a volunteer to go to Times Square and set up their rig on a sidewalk. Then report back on what happens.

sanchi heuser
13-Aug-2008, 10:43
If you even touch the ground with a tripod in Paris, alarm bells go off somewhere and some gendarme will come running, according to what I've heard. That's why I stick to handdheld 4x5.

Hmm,
That's not fine.
How to get a permit?

Paris is absolutely wonderful.I made photos there with a oneway-camera.
There I had the vague idea ,that I need probably a "little change of the equipment".

Isn't that a good reason to get a permit:cool:

Joanna Carter
13-Aug-2008, 12:45
Not true, there is a very long and interesting discussion in the French Galerie-Photo forums :

http://www.galerie-photo.info/forum/read.php?f=5&i=3161&t=3161

For those who don't speak or read French, basically, as long as you are sensible and don't put your tripod in people's way, there should be no problem or, at least, as long as you can explain that you are not taking pictures for gain or within certain government-owned sites.

cyrus
14-Aug-2008, 14:48
OK - we need a volunteer to go to Times Square and set up their rig on a sidewalk. Then report back on what happens.

The real catch is that you have leave open at least 8 feet of space on sidewalks for pedestrians. That effectively makes it impossible to use a tripod in most of Times Square, since the sidewalks there are less than 16 ft wide.

According to the rules, tripods are permitted

"if such activity does not involve...exclusive use of more than one-half of a sidewalk

or,

in a situation in which the sidewalk or pedestrian passageway is narrower than sixteen feet, does not involve... exclusive use of the sidewalk or pedestrian passageway such that less than eight feet is otherwise available for pedestrian use."

David A. Goldfarb
14-Aug-2008, 15:03
I don't shoot much in Times Square, myself. It's kinda touristy these days.

Greg Miller
14-Aug-2008, 15:38
I don't shoot much in Times Square, myself. It's kinda touristy these days.

Yeah - they kind of ruined the neighborhood when they let that Disney store in. ;)

David A. Goldfarb
14-Aug-2008, 15:46
Maybe it's time to go down there and document the last vestiges of the sleazy Times Square, if there are any left. I guess there is still some sleaze around the Port Authority Bus Terminal. In grad school, when the CUNY Graduate Center was located on 42nd between 5th and 6th Aves., our department (Comparative Literature) used to hang out in a dive with a boxing theme called Jimmy's Corner on 43rd St. off 6th Ave. Jimmy was the bartender, and he had photos from classic fights up on the walls, and there were always guys at the bar talking boxing, but it was a quiet, low key place, where you could have a conversation.

cyrus
15-Aug-2008, 12:46
Maybe it's time to go down there and document the last vestiges of the sleazy Times Square, if there are any left. I guess there is still some sleaze around the Port Authority Bus Terminal. In grad school, when the CUNY Graduate Center was located on 42nd between 5th and 6th Aves., our department (Comparative Literature) used to hang out in a dive with a boxing theme called Jimmy's Corner on 43rd St. off 6th Ave. Jimmy was the bartender, and he had photos from classic fights up on the walls, and there were always guys at the bar talking boxing, but it was a quiet, low key place, where you could have a conversation.

Nope, all gone. The last bit of sleaze was the Peep-o-Rama...or so I heard.;) which closed down a few years ago. But the dive bar you're talking about is still there. 140 W. 44th St

Dave Wooten
15-Aug-2008, 13:29
Wonder if one could get an official publication copy of the new "hand held" regulations? Might be handy to have in one's side holster!

David A. Goldfarb
15-Aug-2008, 13:49
Here is the press release with the summary and a link to a PDF of the full regulations--

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/news/070108_moftb_adopts_rules.shtml

Dave Wooten
15-Aug-2008, 14:24
Thanks Dave