PDA

View Full Version : Scanner for 9x9 Aerial Film

Dizzle
11-Aug-2008, 13:41
I'm in the market for a large format film scanner.

After poking around the inter-tubes for a while, we're leaning towards the Microtek 1000xl Pro as a nice addition to our workflow. I'd read several reviews on various sites claiming reliability issues with the 1000xl. Normally this alone would scare me away from a purchase, but I've had a Microtek i900 for about 2 years (6000 scans) and couldn't be happier.

I called Microtek to discuss any updates or recalls, and the service rep alluded to a new large format scanner to be released very soon.

Has anyone heard about this?

We've got a Creo Eversmart II, but it's got some sort of optical issue, and it appears a service call is in order. Normally that wouldn't scare me, but a repair in my area would involve flying out the tech, paying all expenses, plus the cost of of the actual repair. I understand the Creo is the bee's knee's in regard to scanning, but dealing with the prehistoric mac workstation along with the cost of repair, and alternatives seem more attractive.

Are there other scanners capable of scanning a 9x9 negative without costing more than a service call to Creo?

Lastly, am I crazy thinking the creo's not worth fixing?

PS> On a previous thread, a poster referred to a Sept (06?) issue of View Camera Magazine, any ideas on where a guy could pick up a copy?