PDA

View Full Version : How to save Eversmart Pro II TIFFS for PC

Deliberate1
9-Aug-2008, 14:34
Friends, I am running an Eversmart Pro II on a G4. I save the images to an external hard drive. I run a Dell PC which has my Photoshop CS2. When I try to open the TIFFS made on the Mac in the Dell Photoshop, I get an error message "Not the right type of file." Indeed, the properties do not identify the file as a Tiff, but simply as a generic "file." Is there a way of saving the scanned file made on the Mac in a way that it can be read on a PC in PSCS2? Or do I just have to get PS for the G4? Thanks. David

Tyler Boley
9-Aug-2008, 14:41
will preview on the Mac open them?
If so, then try a "save as" with the tif extension, could work?
Tyler

Lenny Eiger
9-Aug-2008, 16:01
Friends, I am running an Eversmart Pro II on a G4. I save the images to an external hard drive. I run a Dell PC which has my Photoshop CS2. When I try to open the TIFFS made on the Mac in the Dell Photoshop, I get an error message "Not the right type of file." Indeed, the properties do not identify the file as a Tiff, but simply as a generic "file." Is there a way of saving the scanned file made on the Mac in a way that it can be read on a PC in PSCS2? Or do I just have to get PS for the G4? Thanks. David

Sorry if you've already done this - did you mess with the endings? .TIFF is different on some machines than .tif or .tiff

Lenny

Deliberate1
9-Aug-2008, 18:00
Lenny, I will go back and check the file type. The Oxygen scanning program requires you to choose the type of file the scan will be. And tiff is the most universal one. The macine creates the file name and extention. I guess I thought a tiff is a tiff is a tiff...There are some quite basic imaging programs with OS9. No problem opening the file with them. I am wondering if this is a MC/PC thing. There is a set up dialogue which allows you to set the tiff files for "IMB/PC" which I did do.
Tyler, I do not think I have a program in the G4 that does anything but view images., so I am not sure how I could change the file type. I am a Mac dolt, though.

Evanjoe610
10-Aug-2008, 06:49
David,

Buy the program "MacDrive 7.0". This program will allow you to view and EDIT any Mac generated files. The best thing would be that you can still view them on your Mac and use them over again and again. It is not just limited to Photoshop files. All files (Words, Excel, etc) can be viewed and editted on the PC side.

That is how I work my files from my Mac G3 & Quad Core G5 to my Dell Duo Core and Intel P4.

Evan

Deliberate1
10-Aug-2008, 07:26
Evan,
I figured there must be something out there like that. Can you give me a short "how to" on it. Much obliged for your help. David

Bruce Watson
10-Aug-2008, 07:58
Friends, I am running an Eversmart Pro II on a G4. I save the images to an external hard drive. I run a Dell PC which has my Photoshop CS2. When I try to open the TIFFS made on the Mac in the Dell Photoshop, I get an error message "Not the right type of file."

MacOS is big-endian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness) IIRC. Windoze is little-endian. It's yet another choice that hardware and software architects have to make to get things to work. And you know that Microsoft and Apple differ on a whole raft of issues.

The answer is, instead of saving the file to an external Mac hard drive, save it across your network directly on the PC's hard drive. There's a program called Dave (http://www.thursby.com/products/dave-eval.html) that lets you do this -- it fools the PC into thinking it's file sharing with another PC. Takes care of all the hocus-pocus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hocus_Pocus_(magic)) file storage problems for you.

I know it works because I'm using it for this exact service. My drum scanner requires an old Mac for the software to drive it. The old Mac (running OS9.1) doesn't have enough hard disk space to hold more than a file or two from scanning 5x4 film. So I use Dave on the Mac to save the file across my office network to my Photoshop PC. Which is where it needs to end up anyway. Saves me some workflow steps and works flawlessly.

Evanjoe610
10-Aug-2008, 08:47
David,

Check out this link:

http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/

Essentially, this is a software that allow you to read and edit all Mac generated files on a PC. I used it many times over and never had any problems with it.

If in doubt, you can always try out the Free Demo version for 10 days or whatever the terms are. Once you use it, you will wonder why you newer bought it in the first place.

Deliberate1
11-Aug-2008, 06:44
Bruce and Evan, much obliged for the two options. I will check them out. David

Tyler Boley
11-Aug-2008, 09:43
Tyler, I do not think I have a program in the G4 that does anything but view images., so I am not sure how I could change the file type. I am a Mac dolt, though.

Sounds like others more familiar with this problem are on the case, I just wanted to let you know that the application called Preview is installed on the MAc with OSX, you probably have it there, and it will not only view, but has color management options and will "save as" in a variety of file formats.
Tyler

Clueless Winddancing
11-Aug-2008, 10:02
Bruce, I have the same need as you've resolved (old drum scanner, dongle, SCSI, Mac4 or 5, editing on a MS PC) BUT I am interested in the possibililties of a longer than 3 meter SCSI cable run so that the CPU / monitor can be in one room and the scanner with wet mounting and drum cleaning in another. I've just heard about the "SCSI repeater" option. Unfortunately, I'm not technically inclined so KIS please. They call me Clueless for a good reason.

Dizzle
11-Aug-2008, 16:16
To the OP,

I may be way off base here, but my oxygen software on the OS9 requires me to rename the file and add the extension (.tif) for my pc to recognize it.

Kind Regards,

Jamin