PDA

View Full Version : Advise on Having New Computer Built

darr
5-Aug-2008, 13:21
OK guys, this is the deal:

I have a decent budget to spend on a new workstation. I have bought from Dell for about 15+ years and figure there may be better options out there, but the purchase goes through my business and Dell has been good to me so far with their warranty and service, so I will probably stay with Dell.

I wish I could make the jump to Mac, but the last time I had one of them, it was a wee size with a b&w screen and had 512k ram, so it has been too may software/hardware buys ago for me to justify the costs.

I need advice on having one built to run two screens, fastest graphics (PS, Lightroom, scanning software, digital photos, etc,) and Quick Books. So all you computer wizards, please tell me what configuration you would have built if money was available for your needs. I will probably upgrade to a Drobo (or similar) after I max out my Western Digital external backup drives, so I am not thinking I'll stay with RAID (current workstation has been RAID for about 6 years).

I truly appreciate your advice. :)

Best,
Darr

Donald Miller
5-Aug-2008, 14:07
I just built up my own Windows (Vista Ultimate) based computer. This time I went with a server motherboard that supports dual quadcore intel processors and up to 32 gigs of ram...I presently have 12 gigs installed and it flies. I have no problem running several applications with CS3 at the same time.

I have a high end graphics gaming card (forget the model and manufacturer). But it will definitely handle two monitors with no problem.

Walter Calahan
5-Aug-2008, 14:07
Simply call Dell direct!

I like my 8-core Intel MacPro.

Ash
5-Aug-2008, 16:42
Whatever you do.... MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD HEATSINK!!

I'm currently in the process of sorting my father's computer, main issue is the CPU is more powerful than the cooling system. That means a lot of noise from an underpowered fan, and a very hot CPU.

If you go for a windows tower unit, get the person building it to put in a high performance "quiet" but powerful heatsink+fan. The last thing you want is the amount of noise we hear from our beast.

A good running temp is about 40 degrees C, this CPU is reaching 60C easy, even on idle.

erie patsellis
5-Aug-2008, 17:59
Look at the upper end Dell Precision series, I've been using them for years and have zero complaints.

erie

AFSmithphoto
6-Aug-2008, 00:25
Conisdering that you've posted on a large format thread, I imagine you will be working with large file sizes.

If this is the case, make sure you get a lot of ram. When it comes to large files in photoshop, you will get far more performance per dollar with system ram than you will spending on CPU or graphics cards.

Next in line should be the CPU. That's whats gonna crunch all the numbers stored in all that ram you're gonna get.

Don't worry too much about spending on the graphics card, unless you wanna play games. Because it is called the graphics card, many assume that its an important component for graphics intesive applications, but they're really designed to enhance 3D graphics performance. I don't know for sure if photoshop even addresses ram which is built into the video card, but even if it does you'll be paying a lot more for that than you would for system ram.

As far as two monitors go, I believe that any Nvidia card will offer dual monitor support right out of the box.

Finally save some money for some sort of screen calibration (Eyeone, Hueypro etc . . .)
It makes a big difference if you intend to print.

Eli Rubel
6-Aug-2008, 09:31
Although I am a mac person, I have heard rave reviews over a certain Dell screen...I know many professionals who choose it over the mac 30" HD screen because it costs significantly less and is supposed to be just as good.

I think this is the one: http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&sku=147262

darr
7-Aug-2008, 07:27
Thank you to everyone that responded.

I ordered a Dell Precision T7400 Quad Core Xeon with 4GB DDR2 SDRAM (8x512MB), non Raid with 3 hard drives, dual monitors, XP and Vista Ultimate, plus a ReadyNAS NV+ (1 TB). This should take care of my business needs hopefully for the next three years and possibly beyond. :)

Best,
Darr

Charles
13-Aug-2008, 21:28
I've been using PCs for years but I recently went to a Mac Pro running the Mac OS along with XP Pro using VMFUsion. It works great. XP is very fast on the Mac hardware. The Mac Pro, if you buy the basic stripper, and add adftermarket hard drives and memory, is equivalent or less than Dell or HP dual quadcore workstations.

I had a few calls to Apple during my 'transition' stage and the call didn't go to India over a noisy connection. I'm very pleased.

Incidentally, I like the new Dell '08'24" widescreen very much.

mdd99
16-Aug-2008, 13:32
I've been buying HP for years. You can customize their models, and the sales folks I've worked with have always done me right--even dissuaded me from some features that cost more.