PDA

View Full Version : Website Review

jetcode
4-Aug-2008, 13:08
After many long weeks of working on a new photography website I have a basic site up and running. I want to thank Merg Ross for permitting me to draw from the design of his website. Hopefully my offering will be unique enough.

The Portfolio section is a mix of LF and digital imaging. Let me know what you think, what could be improved, etc. This is the 3rd or 4th website I've put together and this is far more comprehensive than anything before. I'm sure I could learn some tricks from the real web developers here but that's for another day.

Thanks

www.joethibodeau-photo.com

Jim Cole
4-Aug-2008, 13:31
Ji Joe,

I like the site. It is clean, loads fast and presents your work in a very simple and elegant way. Best of all, no Flash! My only suggestion is in your Prints page to let your buyers know what small, medium and large mean.

jetcode
4-Aug-2008, 17:58
Thanks Jim. I've made several changes and will likely continue to do so until the site has stabillized. Again I credit Merg's daughter for providing the simple framework which I made unique in my site.

Content is everything and I can only move forward. I've been wanting to finish processing my archives and get into some new more modern work.

Meanwhile I'm going crazy trying to keep up with the 14 hats I wear wishing I could be down by the river swimming and hanging out on a lazy afternoon ...

Donald Miller
4-Aug-2008, 18:10
Joe, Really nice and clean. I enjoyed seeing the split toning on some of your images.

ilikedags
4-Aug-2008, 18:12
I would consider changing the title of "art stuff" to something that doesn't sound so silly.

jetcode
4-Aug-2008, 18:19
I would consider changing the title of "art stuff" to something that doesn't sound so silly.

I could say "Fine Art" but there are implications to that label. What do you think would be a good title for that section considering I'm mixing nudes with some other art type images?

Thanks Donald ... Joe

Greg Lockrey
4-Aug-2008, 18:26
Dittoes to above comments. You need to be more specific on pricing. The average "hey Joe" cares less about how you do it, they just need to have an idea what it will cost before they order. If you offer 350 -5300 dpi scanning for example let them know the cost. I use a price per square inch for each service. If they can't calculate then you can give an answer based on your shown pricing which they can follow along. I also wouldn't be too specific on your equipment choices either, that will change as technology improves and some people do have prejudicial preferences, let the work speak for itself. Just my 2c and I'll send you a bill at the end of the month. ;) ;) :D

jetcode
4-Aug-2008, 18:49
I don't intend on making a living scanning film and artwork. That said I prefer that if someone is truly interested they will contact me and I can work with them to negotiate a fee for the exact job they have. I work locally and I have had 2 artists and one photographer get scans. In each case I worked with them to find something that worked for both of us. I am trying to get away from long term production work but am open to helping people out if they need it and offsetting the costs of the equipment I use when I can.

Dittoes to above comments. You need to be more specific on pricing. The average "hey Joe" cares less about how you do it, they just need to have an idea what it will cost before they order. If you offer 350 -5300 dpi scanning for example let them know the cost. I use a price per square inch for each service. If they can't calculate then you can give an answer based on your shown pricing which they can follow along. I also wouldn't be too specific on your equipment either some people do have prejudicial preferences, let the work speak for itself. Just my 2c and I'll send you a bill at the end of the month. ;) ;) :D

Greg Lockrey
4-Aug-2008, 18:57
I don't intend on making a living scanning film and artwork. That said I prefer that if someone is truly interested they will contact me and I can work with them to negotiate a fee for the exact job they have. I work locally and I have had 2 artists and one photographer get scans. In each case I worked with them to find something that worked for all of us. I am trying to get away from long term production work but am open to helping people out if they need it and offsetting the costs of the equipment I use when I can.

That's what I intended for my business 10 years ago. Now I work 12 hours per day 7 days a week "helping" other artists get prints made. Negotiating pricing just wastes time. ;)

jetcode
4-Aug-2008, 19:09
Judging by the way my friends are dropping off in their 50's (5 of them, cancer, early 50's) I likely won't be around in 10 years but who is to say for sure. I'd still rather be hanging at the river swimming, listening to the birds sing, and feeling the cool breeze blow across my face.

That's what I intended for my business 10 years ago. Now I work 12 hours per day 7 days a week "helping" other artists get prints made. Negotiating pricing just wastes time. ;)

Greg Lockrey
4-Aug-2008, 19:15
Judging by the way my friends are dropping off in their 50's (5 of them, cancer, early 50's) I likely won't be around in 10 years but who is to say for sure. I'd still rather be hanging at the river swimming, listening to the birds sing, and feeling the cool breeze blow across my face.

I understand that too. It's all about our needs. I happen to enjoy what I do. Watching thet ink-jet head going back and forth is so exciting to me, and running five printers at a time is just plain ecstatic. And it still gives me time to play with you guys on the forum. ;) ;)

ilikedags
4-Aug-2008, 20:34
I understand the implications of using "fine art" as a label, but in my opinion it is more appropriate than "art stuff." The nudes under the "art" section are very well composed and lit. Maybe moving them over to "portraiture" could help you lose some unwanted labels and leave room for future/upcoming work.

Rob Champagne
5-Aug-2008, 08:52
I would center the layout horizontally. It just looks better that way, especially on higher resolution screens.

Brian_A
7-Aug-2008, 09:51
Joe,

Looks good. I would have to go with the previous ideas of changing the "art stuff" thing and being specific on your print sizes besides "Small, medium, large..."

The only other thing I'd change is making the top bar solid instead of a photo. Something about it gives me a headache trying to look past the words to see the image.

-Brian

jetcode
8-Aug-2008, 16:11
thanks everyone ... joe

mdd99
10-Aug-2008, 10:26
Tidy, fast, well organized, and just enough content to give visitors of sense of your abilities.