PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix vs. Shen- Hao 4x5

zack kl
4-Aug-2008, 12:35
Hi
I'm new to field cameras (4x5) but hope to get one within the next 6 months. Considering Tachihara, Shen-Hao, and Chamonix. Of the three Shen-Hao seems to be the only one with rear rise. I was wondering what others thought about this.
Thanks much for your comments, Zack

Peter De Smidt
4-Aug-2008, 12:56
Front fall is very similar to rear rise. For landscape work, I prefer a camera without rear rise, as adding that either adds weight or decreases rigidity. Of you're shooting architecture on a 4x5 with lenses that cover 8x10, rear rise/fall might be useful. Both the Shen-Hao and Chamonix are well made cameras. I believe the Chamonix has more extension, if that's important to you. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Tachihara.

zack kl
5-Aug-2008, 11:59
Thanks Peter for the helpful info.

Jiri Vasina
5-Aug-2008, 12:10
I have some experience with Tachihara 4x5, ShenHao FCL 5x7 and Chamonix 5x8 (I think the ShenHao 4x5 will be similar to ShenHao 5x7, and Chamonix 4x5 will be like my Chamonix 5x8).

Tachihara is least rigid, least "user friendly"; my brother sold it after having it for 3 months. We have not found any significant difference between the ShenHao and Chamonix. Some minor features being a bit better on ShenHao, some on Chamonix. I'm very happy with mine, my brother is happy with his Shen.

Rick-okc
6-Aug-2008, 12:23
I have the Shen-hao and the Chaminox 4x5. Both are very good cameras. Both cameras have very good movements and would serve you well. I've decided to keep my Chaminox and sell the Shen-hao, if you're interested.

Maretzo
6-Aug-2008, 12:39
I am using the Tachihara and looking forward to receive my Chamonix.
I have found the Tachi's fine tuning quite difficult and short of bellows.