2-Aug-2008, 10:24
hello,

Brand new into the lf some questions :

90f5.6 swd or 90f8 sw?

125f5.6 w or 120f8 sw?

180f5.6 w or 180f5.6 w?

On the left side the fuji at the right side the nikkor

What choices for 4x5?

What about the 120 F5.6 NIKKOR AM APO MACRO ED and which possible use on 4x5?

Thank you for your answers,

Regards,

AP

Ron Marshall
2-Aug-2008, 11:03
I have the 90mm f8, for its large image circle and low weight. f8 on a 90mm is somewhat more difficult to focus than a 4.5 or 5.6, but I put up with that to save the weight. If you don't plan to take your camera far from the car then go for the brighter lens.

The Nikkor 120 has a huge image circle; if you have an interest in architecture it is the better choice. f8 is not so much of a problem at this focal length. However, it is more than twice as heavy as the Fuji.

With most LF lenses the choice comes down to a trade-off between weight, image circle and maximum aperture (and sometimes price).

neil poulsen
2-Aug-2008, 11:24
There's also a 125mm swd (f8? Not f5.6, though.) Fujinon. You won't find an f5.6 SW in a 120mm or 121mm. (Although, a Schneider LF tech told me a few years ago that some were produced.)

The 120 F5.6 NIKKOR AM APO MACRO ED is a special purpose lens. If there's a large image circle quoted for this lens, it may be quoted for 1:1, versus for infinity.

Both Nikkor and Fujinon make excellent lenses.

While I've heard rumors about the qualities of photos that these two brands produce, I won't comment. (Color, contrast, etc.) I've never owned either brand. I've tended to stay with lenses made by one manufacturer from the same era. But, MANY photographers have mixed manufacturers in their kits.

Note that most large format lenses are purchased used. If the glass is good, the shutter sounds good at all speeds, the lenses don't show any dents, etc., and if it's Schneider, Fujinon, Rodenstock, or Nikon, it's probably OK. Check the glass for fungus, delamination around the internal edges, or silver speckles inside. (Avoid, if any of these.) The newer the better. I'd stick to lenses made in the 80's or later. Some made in the mid to late 70's can be good, like the Schneider Symmar-S lenses.

Gem Singer
2-Aug-2008, 12:00
P.M. sent.

drew.saunders
3-Aug-2008, 10:22
hello,

Brand new into the lf some questions :

90f5.6 swd or 90f8 sw?

The f8 will weigh less, same for Schneider, Rodenstock, etc.

125f5.6 w or 120f8 sw?

The 125/5.6 Fuji has a 204mm image circle according to Badger's listing, which is quite generous for a 4x5 lens. The Schneider 120/5.6 L has a 189mm IC but is lighter. The 120/8 Nikkor just covers 8x10, with a 312mm IC, so it'll be quite a bit larger than the Fuji or Schneider, and a stop slower.

180f5.6 w or 180f5.6 w?

Which can you get cheaper? They'll both be fine lenses, same with the Schneider or Rodenstock.

What about the 120 F5.6 NIKKOR AM APO MACRO ED and which possible use on 4x5?

AP
That lens doesn't cover 4x5 at infinity, just at macro distances.

Drew

Peter De Smidt
3-Aug-2008, 13:31
Make sure that the opening in your camera will allow you to use the lens in question. I can't use a Schneider 72mm XL or 90mm XL lens on my Chamonix because the rear elements are to big to fit into the camera.

A dealer recently told me that he gets the most returns because of a quality issue with Schneider. Rodenstock are much better, and he's never had to send a Fujinon lens back, although that's the brand he sells the most.

pawl
7-Aug-2008, 09:39
Hello,

Thank you for the answers.

There is any problem to mount these lenses on a chamonix 45?

Regards,

AP

butterflydream
8-Aug-2008, 19:30
I have 90mm f8 fujinon and 120mm SW f8 nikkor. I feel fujinon is softer and nikkor sharper, but this is only subjective. Both lenses made me excellent results.

I don't feel too much difficulties in focusing at f8, as I shoot mostly outdoor landscapes.

I do not know Chamonix, and both lenses are big for 4x5 but I didn't have any problem with my Arca Swiss f-field 4x5 of which front lens panel size 110 x 110mm.

Don Hutton
8-Aug-2008, 19:55
Make sure that the opening in your camera will allow you to use the lens in question. I can't use a Schneider 72mm XL or 90mm XL lens on my Chamonix because the rear elements are to big to fit into the camera.

You absolutely certain about the rear element of the 72mmXL? That information is simply incorrect - the rear element of a 72mmXL is 70mm across and that fits easily through the hole in the front standard of the Chamonix 4x5 which is a stadard Technika type - 83mm in diameter. The 90mmXL when it first came out did not fit - so every subsequent version was supllied by Schneider with a removable protective ring around the rear element which allows the lens to be used on cameras equipped with a Linhof Technika type front standard - you simply unscrew the ring. Every single example of the 90mmXL I have ever seen has had the removable ring; obviously though, if you have the very first version, it simply won't fit.

Peter De Smidt
9-Aug-2008, 06:59
Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. We have these lenses at work. I simply held them up to the camera. I didn't know about the removable ring. I'll look into, and I'll check the 72mm XL again.

Peter De Smidt
11-Aug-2008, 16:44
Hi Don,

You were right. The 72mm XL does fit, whereas the 90mm XL, obviously one of the first versions, does not. Sorry for the misinformation.