PDA

View Full Version : Ilex-Calumet Caltar 1:6.3/375 mm

boris
31-Jul-2008, 15:36
hi,
just bought one mounted into a ilex no. 5 universal synchro.
could somebody help with information on the lens? who is the original manufactor, lens design, image circle ...? thanks, boris

John Kasaian
31-Jul-2008, 15:50
hi,
just bought one mounted into a ilex no. 5 universal synchro.
could somebody help with information on the lens? who is the original manufactor, lens design, image circle ...? thanks, boris

Ilex built them, Calumet sold them. IIRC it is a tessar design, Ilex' version of the the very successful Kodak Commercial Ektar. It should cover 8x10 generously. I believe Josef Karsh used one for portraits.

For data click on LF Home Page on the blue banner and you'll find plenty links to info on all kinds of lenses.

Jan Pedersen
31-Jul-2008, 17:10
In a Burke & James catalog it is listed as a 11x14 lens. 58 degree coverage should be about 415mm IC

eddie
31-Jul-2008, 17:37
it is a great lens. i have used it on 11x14 and it covers nicely with movements! very sharp stopped down and great wide open too. a heck of a "sleeper" lens. many people spend a lot of money to buy a more popular lens name to get the same performance. too bad because i have been trying to sell mine for some time and no one wants it. i can not figure out why.....

PM sent with some questions.

eddie

Donald Miller
31-Jul-2008, 20:15
I had one of these lenses which I later sold. I was under the distinct impression that Rodenstock made some of these lenses. There was an article on these in View Camera several years ago. I may be wrong but my memory seems to indicate that.

I used it on 8X10 and it did have a ton of coverage on that format.

Michael Jones
1-Aug-2008, 13:19
If you look here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenseslist.html

you'll see it is quoted as a 468mm image circle.

mike

Dan Fromm
1-Aug-2008, 14:42
I had one of these lenses which I later sold. I was under the distinct impression that Rodenstock made some of these lenses. There was an article on these in View Camera several years ago. I may be wrong but my memory seems to indicate that.

I used it on 8X10 and it did have a ton of coverage on that format.Rodentsock didn't make no Ilex-Caltars. Double negative and spelling error for emphasis. Caltars, of course, Ilex-Caltars no.

At various times Calumet sold Ilex-made, Schneider-made, Rodenstock-made, and, for all I know, lenses from other makers as Caltars. I've never seen it, but in discussions here of who made which Caltar an article on Caltars by Kerry Thalmann published in View Camera is often mentioned.

Cheers,

Dan