PDA

View Full Version : New 810 Shooter!

Eli Rubel
29-Jul-2008, 22:10
Hey guys,

My name is Eli and I am relatively new to the whole LF world. I have been shooting 4x5 for around a year now as part of the curriculum here at Brooks Institute of Photography, and unlike many of my peers I have been loving every minute of it. Recently we havent had any assignments where we were allowed to use LF so when we were given free reigns a few months ago to shoot a project called "Final 6" with whatever medium we desired...I jumped on it. I wanted a "challenge" so I decided to give 810 a try. Our school had an old very beat up Sinar F laying around that probably hadnt seen any action since who knows when, so I checked it out and began the process. After spending two weeks fixing all of its leaks I finally got around to the shooting part! I photographed six holocaust survivors all on HP5 using a modified zone system technique. Well in the end I came out with some photos I am proud of and a new addiction to the 810 format. I decided I wanted to continue the project on my own and so two days ago I purchased a Walnut Chamonix 810 from Hugo Zhang. :)

Although I still havent taken any photos on the new camera (still trying to find a lens and film holders!) I just thought I would introduce myself and look forward to contributing and picking all of your brains!

-Eli

John Kasaian
30-Jul-2008, 01:14
Welcome Eli. 8x10 certainly rocks!

stehei
30-Jul-2008, 03:28
Hi,

welcome to the 810 scene!
try foma film if you want to shoot cheap,
and contact Jim Galli if you need classic lenses,
he helped me getting started with a lens, and
I'm still greatfull for all the help here on the forum,
you're at the right place!

regards

stefan

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jul-2008, 04:16
8x10" is the most intuitive format for me. Enjoy!

eddie
30-Jul-2008, 04:26
good for you! 8x10 is great! chamonix cameras are great!

enjoy.

eddie

Walter Calahan
30-Jul-2008, 05:50
10-8 format or larger is like looking through a window. Anything smaller is simply looking through a viewfinder. HA!

Congratulations.

MIke Sherck
30-Jul-2008, 06:09
Welcome! 8x10 is an absolutely soul-satisfying experience, in my opinion. Nothing else quite like it.

Mike

Ralph Barker
30-Jul-2008, 08:05
Welcome to the LF Forum, Eli, and the wonderful world of 8x10.

Brian Ellis
30-Jul-2008, 09:42
Really nice to see a student taking some chances and trying something different, especially something as potentially daunting as 8x10. Congratulations. 8x10 was my favorite format as among 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10. I never tried anything larger, I was afraid I'd like it too much and totally wreck my bank account and marriage.

Eli Rubel
30-Jul-2008, 10:38
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I was afraid I'd like it too much and totally wreck my bank account and marriage.

Probably a good call! But I have to say, 8x10 isnt exactly easy on the bank account. :rolleyes:

John T
1-Aug-2008, 10:20
Yeah, great, you're a student-why aren't you in the studio doing your work? What are you doing on the Internet? Your black glass group is waiting for you ;)

John

Eli Rubel
1-Aug-2008, 10:53
Yeah, great, you're a student-why aren't you in the studio doing your work? What are you doing on the Internet? Your black glass group is waiting for you ;)

John

hahah. UGGG black glass :rolleyes: DONE...

Steve M Hostetter
1-Aug-2008, 11:08
You know what they say about people with big fingers..? " They must need big shutters "