PDA

View Full Version : Help! Quickload holder problem

h2oman
29-Jul-2008, 07:32
When I recently went to remove a quickload from the holder I pulled and out came the piece of film. It was interesting to see what is inside a quickload, but overexposed the film a bit. :D I managed to get the rest of the holder out, although I don't recall whether I got the metal strip at the bottom out or not. I didn't really recognize that it needed to come out.

I figured this was just an aberration, put my gear away and didn't think about it. Until two days ago, that is, when the same thing happened again. Now the metal strip from that one is definitely stuck inside the holder.

Any suggestions for fixing this? I thought I would try to locate a very small Phillips screwdriver to take out the little screws holding the holder together, open it up and see what is going on. I thought I'd check here for better ideas first, though.

cjbroadbent
29-Jul-2008, 07:45
Now the metal strip from that one is definitely stuck inside the holder. Any suggestions for fixing this? .
I keep a small metal crochet hook (shorter than 5") handy just for this ever since Polararoid days. The metal strip is quite bendy and it comes out easily with the hook.

Joanna Carter
29-Jul-2008, 08:40
You may have stressed the spring catches in the holder in such a fashion that this could become a more frequent problem. I have taken apart Quickload holders on several occasions, the most notable one being when a dear friend decided to see whether it caused any harm dropping one on a sandy beach :confused:

You are right in that all that is required is a small (N°1) Philips screwdriver, a fair amount of nerve and a large towel to catch anything that might jump out.

The only "hazards" seem to be the coiled springs that are on the end of the rollers, apart from that, you will need to locate the pressure plate on its springs and then turn the holder face-up in order to attach the other half of the holder.

Oh, and aligning the release catch bar so that it matches the release button position needs careful attention.

Joanna Carter
29-Jul-2008, 12:57
I have just created an article on my website, discussing how to disassemble and reassemble a Quickload holder

http://www.grandes-images.com/Grandes_Images/Technical_Articles/Technical_Articles.html

Jean-Louis Llech
29-Jul-2008, 13:42
Hi, Joanna. Pleased to meet you here, and your Ebony on your website.

cjbroadbent
29-Jul-2008, 14:19
I have just created an article on my website, discussing how to disassemble and reassemble a Quickload holder]
Joanna, The 'how to' is really super. My winkle picker is from the stone age. Thanks from a frequent quick&ready-loader.

Nathan Potter
29-Jul-2008, 15:17
h2oman, That rear clip can be a nuisance. I find that the same thing happens to me on occasion. I usually can access the stuck clip from the film plane side of the holder by depressing the pressure plate and using a fixture made of stainless steel wire that I made for the retrieval. On my Readyload #1 holder I had to disassemble it a year ago to retrieve the clip but as Joanna advised above I did not use a towel to collect the pieces that flew out so I had to re-assemble minus a few parts (can't quite remember which parts were lost). But currently this #1 is the only Readyload of three I own that works every time!

BTW Joanna, nice and helpful guide to Readyload dis-assembly. Thanks.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

h2oman
30-Jul-2008, 18:29
Thanks for the help everyone. (Joanna - you went above and beyond the call of duty!) I seem to have one metal clip stuck in there right now, and I'm not sure which of the above options I'll use. At this point I can't find that small of a phillips screwdriver...

Fred Braakman
30-Jul-2008, 20:23
Hi all,
I had a similar problem with the Kodak Readyload holder, had to take it apart, and remove the metal clip. But after this operation, the holder was never the same. Frequently, the Readyload would jam in the holder, and the film would be exposed.
I replaced the Kodak holder with my Polaroid holder, and it works fine.

Fred

mdd99
7-Aug-2008, 18:07
Same thing happened to me. When I operated on it, 2 springs spurted out, but the surgery was successful and the patient survived.