PDA

View Full Version : The Eddie Lens. Like an explosion in a mattress factory!

Jim Galli
26-Jul-2008, 11:11
This fits well with Joe Thibodeau's Surreal Interpretations thread but you'll have to put your WILD hat on and hold on to your seat.

The EDDIE Lens (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/EddieLens/TheEddieLens.html)

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/EddieLens/TheEddieLens.html

Hope you have some fun, and as always, tell me what you think :eek: :eek:

Dan Fromm
26-Jul-2008, 11:42
Ah, c'mon, Jim, you shot on 35 mm with a zoom lens and zoomed during exposure.

Cheers,

Dan

wfwhitaker
26-Jul-2008, 12:20
Didn't know a DeSoto could go that fast in reverse!

Ole Tjugen
26-Jul-2008, 13:04
I've got something similar, but nowhere near as wild. In my case it's one of five cells in a casket set, the "culprit" having three elements instead of the two of the others (bog standard RR combinations). So since this one cell out of five has a completely different design, I can only assume it's been done on porpose, and that there actually was a market for this in the 1890's.

It's a fun effect, anyway. :)

jetcode
26-Jul-2008, 13:31
that is just plain outrageous... you are indeed sitting on the last gold mine in Nevada ...

Colin Graham
26-Jul-2008, 13:39
Don't forget to try some gratuitous front tilt!
-Just be sure to take some Dramamine first.

MIke Sherck
26-Jul-2008, 13:48
Fabulous! I'd call it either the "Crazy Eddie" lens or the "Warp Speed" lens.

After looking at those pictures I feel as though I ought to go brush my hair. Both of them! :)

Mike

stehei
26-Jul-2008, 14:24
this isn't a lens, but a particle accellerator Nasa threw away accidentily!

fun!

stefan

Jim Fitzgerald
26-Jul-2008, 17:48
Jim, this stuff is just plain nuts!! I like it!

Jim

David A. Goldfarb
26-Jul-2008, 17:51
Ain't that somethin'.

eddie
26-Jul-2008, 17:56
YA HOO! a lens only Jim G could appreciate and make desireable all at once!

and to think now i have a lens named after me! how cool is that? ya know what is even better than that? it is a "magic" lens....so it is worth 100s! :):) maybe more!

great work jim!

eddie

ps. what film size?

Eric James
26-Jul-2008, 18:37
Surely, you've gone too far this time!

Jim Galli
26-Jul-2008, 19:09
YA HOO! a lens only Jim G could appreciate and make desireable all at once!

and to think now i have a lens named after me! how cool is that? ya know what is even better than that? it is a "magic" lens....so it is worth 100s! :):) maybe more!

great work jim!

eddie

ps. what film size?

These are all with the Speed on 4X5.

John Kasaian
26-Jul-2008, 19:29
That is so cool! :D

Shen45
26-Jul-2008, 19:43
Just call it the "Fast Eddie" or maybe the "EdSell" Jim and be done with it, the name not the lens.

It would be interesting to see a still life to appreciate how the "features" of the lens really work.

Daniel_Buck
27-Jul-2008, 00:31
I can't say I enjoy the look of that lens compared with most of your others. Thanks for sharing though! :-)

Pete Roody
27-Jul-2008, 08:39
Jim,

The lens is obviously flawed. There seems to be quite a bit of distortion in the images. I think you have a valid claim for a full refund from the seller. :)

Andrew O'Neill
27-Jul-2008, 10:03
I think one would have to be very image-selective when using this lens.

Donald Miller
27-Jul-2008, 11:05
I don't want to steal Jim's thunder but I have an alternative to the Eddie lens (certainly not as good as the Eddie lens...mine looks more like an explosion in the hen house)...but it may be worth consideration since there is only one Eddie lens so far as we know. I found this lying around on my desktop. Original negative 4X5.

Jim Galli
27-Jul-2008, 21:46
I don't want to steal Jim's thunder but I have an alternative to the Eddie lens (certainly not as good as the Eddie lens...mine looks more like an explosion in the hen house)...but it may be worth consideration since there is only one Eddie lens so far as we know. I found this lying around on my desktop. Original negative 4X5.

Donald, this is very nice. Less brutal! What did you use for the effect?

Shen45
28-Jul-2008, 04:13
Streaked Vaseline?? :)

Donald Miller
28-Jul-2008, 05:59
Donald, this is very nice. Less brutal! What did you use for the effect?

Jim,

It is a PS action that I worked up and applied to the scanned negative.

Donald Miller
28-Jul-2008, 06:01
Streaked Vaseline?? :)

Steve, While vaseline could give you an effect it would be pretty difficult to arrive at uniformity.