PDA

View Full Version : 4x10 E-6 procesing

luis a de santos
21-Jul-2008, 09:11
Any recomendations for a good lab that may be willing to process 4x10 E-6?

I have called Praus and other labs and they are not willing to do it.

Thanks Luis

Ben Syverson
21-Jul-2008, 09:32
I bet the lab I use would do it... It's called Precision Imaging (http://www.precisionimagechicago.com/)

jetcode
21-Jul-2008, 09:47
New Lab is S.F. will do the work too however they charge for processing an 8x10 image since a 4x10 occupies the same space in their dip and dunk system.

http://www.newlab.com/

Bruce Watson
21-Jul-2008, 10:04

Thanks Luis

J. W. Photo Labs (http://www.jwphotolabs.com/) says they will process 4x10 E6 and C-41 as well.

Daniel_Buck
21-Jul-2008, 10:32
if you're in the Los Angeles area, A&I can do it :-)

al olson
21-Jul-2008, 11:19
Southern Lights in Durango, CO, can do it. They have a dip 'n' dunk E-6 system that will go up to 8x10. Contact Ralph Shearer at 970 385-6920.

Brian Vuillemenot
21-Jul-2008, 11:47
I looked into this extensively a few years ago after getting a 4X10 camera and couldn't find a workable solution. All the labs I used that had dip and dunk processing for 4X10 would charge me the same price as for an 8X10. For this reason, and because I only have one functional film holder, I do all my 4X10 work now with an 8X10 camera and cut darkslide. I might recommend getting a Jobo and doing it yourself if you're serious about 4X10 E-6 processing.

If you find a lab that will do it for less than for an 8X10, please let me know. Good luck!

luis a de santos
21-Jul-2008, 15:32
All the labs given above by other responders did not want to do it, or said it was impossible or could try , may be, perhaps but it will cost more than 8x10 that makes no sense.

When you use 8x10 with the half slide any problem with fog or light leak?

Thanks Luis

Brian Vuillemenot
21-Jul-2008, 15:54
All the labs given above by other responders did not want to do it, or said it was impossible or could try , may be, perhaps but it will cost more than 8x10 that makes no sense.

When you use 8x10 with the half slide any problem with fog or light leak?

Thanks Luis

Sorry to hear Luis- that was exactly my experience when I looked into it a few years ago. The cut darkslide on 8X10 works quite well for doing 4X10 photography, except with the downside of having to drag around an 8X10 to do it. There are no problems with light leaks. Quite a few threads on this forum, as well as published articles, have been devoted to the topic of using the half darkslide approach, so do a search and you'll find plenty of info.

I have a 4X10 camera that sits idle in my closet because it makes far more practical and economic sense to use the 8X10 to make 4X10s. For black and white, it would be different, since film can be processed easily at home. When I get the time, I will have to get a Jobo and do my own E6 processing so I can use the 4X10 camera.

Daniel_Buck
21-Jul-2008, 16:11
I do 4x10's on 8x10 sheets with a cut dark slide (B&W), it seems to work pretty good! Sometimes, depending on how much front rise you have, you'll get slightly more or slightly less space inbetween both of the 4x10's, but it's only a few mm difference at the most, from what I've seen.

So far I've just been visually composing with out actually blocking out 1/2 of the ground glass, but I think I'm going to start covering up 1/2 of the glass with something, as I seem to be doing more 4x10 compositions. Maybe I'll rig up some velcro system so that I can cover up either the top 1/2, or the bottom 1/2

Kirk Fry
21-Jul-2008, 23:20
If you have a large enough lens board you could off set your lens by 2 inches up or down. (Flip over the board depending on which half you are using assuming a square board). Just a thought. K

Seems to me if you are going to do color, you are stuck processing it yourself in 4X10.

tim810
22-Jul-2008, 06:14
I do 4x10's on 8x10 sheets with a cut dark slide (B&W), it seems to work pretty good! Sometimes, depending on how much front rise you have, you'll get slightly more or slightly less space inbetween both of the 4x10's, but it's only a few mm difference at the most, from what I've seen.

So far I've just been visually composing with out actually blocking out 1/2 of the ground glass, but I think I'm going to start covering up 1/2 of the glass with something, as I seem to be doing more 4x10 compositions. Maybe I'll rig up some velcro system so that I can cover up either the top 1/2, or the bottom 1/2

Daniel,
I have been using this method for a while now even in 3x2.25x10. I just use the leftover pieces from the cut dark slide to block out the ground glass. I just do a little trimming to make it fit. This does help a lot in composition.

Also,
since I am doing two of the same image on each sheet with just some mods to exposure, I have found that just reversing the rotating back on my camera works best. I end up with two identical images on the one sheet.

Enjoy

reellis67
22-Jul-2008, 07:04
I don't, or at least not yet. I cut the holder such that the cut-out leaves a full width of the darkslide where it rests inside the holder. In other words, the cut stops where the holder begins to allow light to reach the film, it looks kind of like an L. This also helps to keep the cut darkslide from getting out of alignment and masking off part of the area that would otherwise be exposed at the far end of the holder.

- Randy

bwchrome
18-Sep-2008, 12:31
luis;

we can do this format E6.

regards

dw

www.dr5.com

Thanks Luis