PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to eBay

m.bruehl
18-Jul-2008, 18:13
Dear all,

are there other online auction platforms or marketplaces that can be recommended?

Perhaps we can start a collection, like done with online shops?

For Europe, I can throw in

www.ricardo.ch (only German or French language)

Regards

Michael

John Kasaian
18-Jul-2008, 20:41
The "for sale" section here is an excellent resource.

Also Craig's List yields a surprising amount of darkroom stuff----4x5 enlargers and dry mount presses at cheap or even haul it off the place deals.

Carsten Wolff
20-Jul-2008, 03:35
The New Zealand auction site www.trademe.co.nz is ok, but usually has very few, if any LF items.

In your neck of the woods is, as you probably know, a German LF forum: www.gffoto.de (nowhere near the equivalent quality of this forum, by the way, as strangely - and despite being speckled with some talent -, the ability to read original questions is often being overridden by a "wealth" of ego ;) ). But it does have an ok buy/sell section.

I second John's comment.

m.bruehl
20-Jul-2008, 05:46
Thanks John, thanks Carsten,

I didn't want to just get adresses where to buy LF stuff. As the header said: I've been looking for alternatives to ebay.

From the immense:D feedback and your two answers I have the proof for what I suspected and have been afraid of:

There are no real alternatives. Not "US only" or "Asia only". Perhaps some very small or local platforms. But no real alternative.

That's double annoying, because the politics of ebay more and more move from "flea market / garage sale" to "professional trading" (at higher prices than you find by product research out of ebay).

@ Carsten: German LF forum - I am also registered there, as some others in this forum, too. Different style there.

So - let's forget about the issue and go back to business: taking photos.

Kind regards

Michael

Ken Lee
20-Jul-2008, 07:09
I don't like auctions, even when I am the seller.

I much prefer the refined civility of a listed price, or as they call it on eBay..."BuyItNow".

Bryan Lemasters
20-Jul-2008, 07:54
I wish there were comparable alternatives - ebay needs some competition.

Michael Graves
20-Jul-2008, 09:07
I don't like auctions, even when I am the seller.

I much prefer the refined civility of a listed price, or as they call it on eBay..."BuyItNow".

Same here. If I'm selling something, I start here. Only if nobody on LFF wants it do I resort to ebay. Then again, I'm no professional...just an equipment junkie.

m.bruehl
20-Jul-2008, 11:08
I wish there were comparable alternatives - ebay needs some competition.

You hit the nail on the head. And that's what I wanted to check.

Regards

Michael

Kuzano
20-Jul-2008, 13:40
And not likely to be. Most peoples attitudes about eBay, and the "getting caught up" in the politics are counterproductive to the one main factor ebay offers in the marketplace.

The venue provides the most worldwide exposure to a buying and selling public for the lowest cost possible. The fact that no one comes close to the success of eBay totally disputes the comments that they need "competition".

I pay no attention to the politics and/or constantly changing procedures of eBay. I expect absolutely no protection in my buying and selling through them. Their feedback system surpasses any method of engaging sellers, or buyer, and even then I consider it a modest effort at protection.

Having been in Banking, Marketing and Management for close to 40 years, I marvel at the model that eBay offers for putting buyers and sellers together in some reasonable fashion, including the payment vehicle offered.

I don't think we are going to see a competitive venture come close to eBay in the foreseeable future. In the meantime, I continue to use it to my advantage. I expect nothing more from eBay than the opportunity to present my goods to a world market for a reasonable price, and the ability to sell my goods to a world market for a minimal listing and commission fee.

Sorry, but I like eBay. Splitting the pie with other auctions sites simply means that the exposure to sell and opportunity to buy simply gets smaller.

Ben Syverson
20-Jul-2008, 15:06
I have to agree with Kuzano... eBay IS the market for many goods. Sellers may complain about fees or whatever, but if they move to a different site, their market shrinks to almost nothing, and suddenly they can't find buyers (or at least command the same prices). Buyers may complain about fraud, but when you need that 348mm Sexygon-G, you'll be 1000 times more likely to find it on eBay than some tiny upstart. Thus, the upstart will never be able to collect a critical mass. The only hope for a competitor is that eBay a) is broken up by antitrust laws or b) makes some fatal misstep (increases fees too much) and loses a majority of their professional sellers. Both are equally improbable.

I think you will, however, see the rise of smaller, specialized markets though. For instance, the for sale section here. There's some built-in trust (both ways), the seller usually knows what he/she is talking about, and you're likely to get a better deal, since the seller knows who it's going to. Same with rangefinderforum, and all those specialized sites...

Ash
20-Jul-2008, 15:20
I used to love Yahoo Auctions. In the west it's been bought out by ebay. It has taken *much* longer to take over Yahoo's share in Asia, however. See here - http://auctions.yahoo.com/

I believe S Gandy of cameraquest has attempted to set up a camera auction site. I've no idea of its success or longevity.

Much like Google for search engines, the bay has stolen away the auction market from all competitors and has destroyed the joy for most. I despise it. In fact my most recent listing I pulled since I couldn't bear the terms and conditions, and that because I rarely used it I was forced to offer paypal as an option to buyers, even though it was UK only.

Classifieds are the only places to find 'deals' or trustworthy sales from non-ebay sources. Some dealers have marked their prices competitively. For example a good condition 1980's Hasselblad SWC from a dealer is costing me £900; there was a 1950's one on ebay, I was interested - the seller did not have a bid meet his reserve of £800. I offered to buy it, this offer was refused. He put it back up for auction with a lower reserve and it went for £750. I got the security of a reputable dealer, and a more modern version for £150 more. On ebay similar 1980's models are available for no less than £1200.

John Kasaian
20-Jul-2008, 19:09
FWIW I think some of the best alternatives to ebay (in addition to the sales areas here and APUG and through Craig's List) are places like Midwest Photo, Badger Graphic, Igor and Equinox.

Ben Syverson
21-Jul-2008, 09:31
...and KEH

Dave Parker
21-Jul-2008, 17:51
My confirmed paypal and ebay address is a PO Box, I have never had any difficulty at all with them, as far as their fee's for a small business man, they make much more sense than me paying for a card swipe machine, as well as a monthly statement fee, and various other charges that normal merchant accounts require, which they also require a per transaction charge, all credit card services do, and when your an internet based business, most banks charge an extra fee for being an internet business.

I have not sold on ebay for a few years now, due to the ever increasing fee structure, when I want to sell something, I normally just list it on here.

Dave

mdd99
16-Aug-2008, 13:24
I try to avoid Ebay. I prefer our site and photo.net, along with KEH, Midwest, and Badger.

Stephen Fritz
16-Aug-2008, 15:26
You might keep an eye on this:

http://www.ecommerce-guide.com/news/article.php/3743561

http://www.wigix.com/index.php/wigix

Interesting to see what happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Vlad Soare
18-Aug-2008, 05:57
There is a way around eBays PayPal requirement. I offer it because they say I have to. I put in the auction that any PayPal users must send a cash deposit 10 times the amount of the winning bid before paying by PayPal.
What do you mean you have to? I have seen a lot of auctions where PayPal was not offered as a payment option.
Anyway, while I understand why sellers may not like PayPal, as a buyer living outside US I find it a real blessing. I can pay quickly and easily with just a few mouse clicks. All other alternatives are so expensive, insecure and troublesome that I don't even bother taking them into account (unless the seller accepts credit cards directly, which is usually not the case). As far as I'm concerned, if a seller doesn't offer PayPal I don't bid. It's that simple: no PayPal, no bid - no exceptions. :)

claudiocambon
18-Aug-2008, 11:24
I am a huge Ebay fan, although I am concerned about several changes I have seen:

1. the fees, as others have already noted, which are becoming alarmingly steep;

2. the near monopoly that some large buyers risk acquiring over certain kinds of equipment; there is a guy, for example, who seems to be cornering the market for Hasselblad whose prices are too high, descriptions too vague or conflated, but who risks being able to get away with this because of his market share, sort of the way Microsoft can make billions making inferior software simply by dominating the market;

3. the disappearance of buyer feedback. To witness, I have a flake on my hands right now who won an auction, but who isn't coming to life about paying at all. Sure, I can register an unpaid item complaint, but I bet this lack of accountability (compared to sellers) will generate buyer impunity.

And I love the for sale stuff here. This is a great venue.

John Kasaian
1-Sep-2008, 20:05
A very good friend just told me about www.shopgoodwill.com
The photo gear is an eclectic mix---no LF stuff at present but there are quite a few old folders and you never know what's going to turn up. Apparently all the Goodwill thrift stores are players at this auction site.

JW Dewdney
1-Sep-2008, 20:15
And not likely to be. Most peoples attitudes about eBay, and the "getting caught up" in the politics are counterproductive to the one main factor ebay offers in the marketplace.

The venue provides the most worldwide exposure to a buying and selling public for the lowest cost possible. The fact that no one comes close to the success of eBay totally disputes the comments that they need "competition".

Actually not. The only reason ebay has the 'exposure' is because of their anticompetitive monopolistic practices - kind of like scientology or the mafia...!! - it's more due to their unscrupulous and very nasty 'ethics' that keeps the competition out. All you have to do is google 'bidpay' vs paypal to see the kind of thing that goes on.

I got screwed myself by paypal/ebay - they still owe me over $2K. I VOW never to use them again.

Merg Ross
1-Sep-2008, 20:28
John, eclectic for sure. I enjoyed the trip down Memory Lane! Thanks for the tip.

Phil
2-Sep-2008, 09:19
FWIW - I noticed this on a dagor77 auction on ebay:

"In the next few weeks there is a great likelihood that I and a few other LF sellers will be joining together to form a website to sell assorted and tasty photo goodies. I'll slowly stop selling on Ebay and sell on the website only, address to follow in case you want to check it out."

Pat Hilander
2-Sep-2008, 10:12
What do you mean you have to? I have seen a lot of auctions where PayPal was not offered as a payment option.
Anyway, while I understand why sellers may not like PayPal, as a buyer living outside US I find it a real blessing. I can pay quickly and easily with just a few mouse clicks. All other alternatives are so expensive, insecure and troublesome that I don't even bother taking them into account (unless the seller accepts credit cards directly, which is usually not the case). As far as I'm concerned, if a seller doesn't offer PayPal I don't bid. It's that simple: no PayPal, no bid - no exceptions. :)

Starting in October Ebay will now only take Paypal as the payment method. No more personal checks or money orders. This is off the ebay seller announcement:

Beginning late October 2008, all items listed on eBay.com must be paid for using one of the following approved payment options:

* Direct credit or debit card payment via a merchant credit card account
* PayPal
* ProPay
* Payment on pick-up