PDA

View Full Version : Agitation timing in the dark

luxikon
18-Jul-2008, 02:16
Hi,

where do I get or how can I build a timer that gives me a signal every minute, so I can manage exact agitation in the dark?
How do you solve the problem?

luxikon

erie patsellis
18-Jul-2008, 04:52
I use a cheap mp3 player, use cooledit or similar audio editing program to add a short tone every 30 secs or whatever interval you use

Louie Powell
18-Jul-2008, 04:54
I use a Gralab 300 timer with phosphorescent hands that glow in the dark.

Ansel Adams claimed to use a metronome.

There is a PDA application called Foto Timer that will do it electronically - http://www.jan-exner.de/software/

luxikon
18-Jul-2008, 06:22
Thanks for the answers.
The MP3 Player version pleases me.

Gary L. Quay
18-Jul-2008, 20:57
I found an old, small tape recorder. It's one of the ones that lay flat with the buttons at the front. I got an unused tape from my junk drawer, and my wrist watch, and counted off twenty minutes, giving the time every 15 seconds. After four years in the darkroom, my total expenditure has been 6 dollars.

--Gary

Jim Ewins
19-Jul-2008, 22:01
I use a tape recorder and tape my favorite music as background and then announce minutes and 15 second intervals. I start out with minus 15 seconds, minus 10 etc countdown thru 20 minutes.

Anupam
19-Jul-2008, 22:09
I made a timer track that I put on my phone. It goes something like "30 secs to start ... start ... 15 secs ... 30 secs ...." and so forth. It was tedious to make but once done, it's really useful.

Bruce Barlow
20-Jul-2008, 03:08
I use a Gralab 300 timer with phosphorescent hands that glow in the dark.

Ansel Adams claimed to use a metronome.

There is a PDA application called Foto Timer that will do it electronically - http://www.jan-exner.de/software/

Put your Gralab far enough away, or in such a place that it can't fog the film, which it will. How do I know this???

David Schaller
21-Jul-2008, 14:14
I used to use my digital watch set on a timer for 30 seconds. Then the new one flashed the Indiglo light at the same time. So I went to the Gralab timer. But maybe your digital watch will work.
Dave

Hector.Navarro
21-Jul-2008, 14:45
I use a couple of kitchen timers (digital) that I have found at Kmart and Ross. I did not pay more than 15 for both. they beep at the end of countdown and can be set to time upwards.

Carioca
21-Jul-2008, 15:28
I have a 'talking' count-down timer, that tells me the remaining time in minutes, my 30sec interval movements I use, I estimate by feeling.
Available in places that sell items for vision disabled people, or like us, darkroom fanatics.

Jim Noel
26-Jul-2008, 07:55
I have never had film fogged by a Gralab timer. Admittedly I do not have it within 2 or 3 feet of the developing tray but why would I want anything electric any closer?
One of my electronic Gralabs can be set to give a signal every 30 seconds. I don't remember the model number right now and the darkroom is in another part of the house.