PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes! I need help!

ViewIIguy
15-Jul-2008, 14:44
Well, I got myself a lens like I wanted, but not the one I showed you all last week. It's another B&L Rapid Rectilinear with a UNicum shutter. This one, however, has a loose rear element! I shot some pictures to show you, hopefully you'll be able to make it out, and possibly help me with just what I should do to remedy this.

Thanks so much, and perhaps some one can help! Just ask if you need me to take more pictures, these didn't turn out great, but I'm at work at was rushed.

-Will

ViewIIguy
15-Jul-2008, 14:47
I'm an idiot and forgot to attach the files!

Ash
15-Jul-2008, 14:56
If you remove the rear piece, is there a loose or missing retaining ring?

Any way of attaching it to the rear metal piece? How about use the non-permanent glue-gun method some recommend to attach lenses to lens boards?

ViewIIguy
15-Jul-2008, 14:59
If you remove the rear piece, is there a loose or missing retaining ring?

Any way of attaching it to the rear metal piece? How about use the non-permanent glue-gun method some recommend to attach lenses to lens boards?

Bear with me as I'm just getting into this, and a lot of the nomenclature eludes me. If, as I understand, the retaining ring is what holds the lens to lens board - then it is missing. I can remove the back piece I imagine by way of the screws, but I was worried about messing it up. I'll try and get another picture in just a few moments as I'm about to close up the shop and hopefully it will help you see what is going on in there!

-Will

lenser
15-Jul-2008, 15:00
Do you mean that it unscrews, or that it's rattling around in it's mount?

If it unscrews just screw it back in as all large format lens cells are in groups like this and are screwed into either a shutter or a barrel. If it's rattling around, unscrew the entire back section and see if there is a retaining ring on the front side of that group that has begun to get loose. If so, you should be able to screw it down and secure it. If that doesn't work, you may need to send it to someone like S.K. Grimes for other work.

Good luck.

ViewIIguy
15-Jul-2008, 15:24
It rattles, like the glass is loose and moving around. I took some more pictures, hopefully this will help more.

-Will

lenser
15-Jul-2008, 15:37
OK, Will.

Unscrew the back group from the shutter. Be careful when you get to the end of the threads as it's possible that the glass is totally ready to fall out on the floor. Hold the whole thing with the back of the lens down. This will make sure nothing falls out and breaks and also will keep the glass cell in the right orientation if it is totally loose. (If it's in there the wrong way it will screw up the focusing ability.)

When you get that rear section out, you will have the lens group in your hands, so set aside the shutter and see if the retaining ring that is in the front of this group of cells is loose or missing. If it's missing, look inside the shutter to see if it fell out in there.

If it is loose, just tighten it down and see if that locks the cell in place. If it has fallen off but is there, just screw it back on.

If none of this helps, send it off the Grimes because there is almost certainly a spacer ring that should be inside the group that has come up missing and only a pro can make and seat one of these for you to be sure the lens will function correctly.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tim

Paul Fitzgerald
15-Jul-2008, 15:42
Will,

if it's missing, you can make a retainer from 1/16" brass wire from Ace Hardware. Just form it around the outside of the cell, trim it off so the ends will not touch when installed and set it into place with finger pressure.

Good luck with it.

ViewIIguy
15-Jul-2008, 15:47
OK, Will.

Unscrew the back group from the shutter. Be careful when you get to the end of the threads as it's possible that the glass is totally ready to fall out on the floor. Hold the whole thing with the back of the lens down. This will make sure nothing falls out and breaks and also will keep the glass cell in the right orientation if it is totally loose. (If it's in there the wrong way it will screw up the focusing ability.)

When you get that rear section out, you will have the lens group in your hands, so set aside the shutter and see if the retaining ring that is in the front of this group of cells is loose or missing. If it's missing, look inside the shutter to see if it fell out in there.

If it is loose, just tighten it down and see if that locks the cell in place. If it has fallen off but is there, just screw it back on.

If none of this helps, send it off the Grimes because there is almost certainly a spacer ring that should be inside the group that has come up missing and only a pro can make and seat one of these for you to be sure the lens will function correctly.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tim

Well buddy, you just fixed me right up! The lens is now in place, and good to go. Best of all, the shutter seems to work perfect at all speeds, WOO!

Thank you so much, Tim, and I owe ya.

-Will

lenser
15-Jul-2008, 17:01
Good deal!!! Glad it was that simple. Hey, you can thank me by posting some of your images from this little baby. I'm sure we'll all enjoy seeing them.

Tim