PDA

View Full Version : Creo Calibration Slide-Is this a fair price?

wmdyer1
13-Jul-2008, 16:32
Hi folks! I've been looking for a calibration slide for my Creo Scitex Jazz+ scanner. I've had an offer from Genesis Equipment to sell me the calibration slide for $250. Is this a reasonable price? I'm new to the pro level scanner game and what things cost.
Thanks,
Bill

Kirk Gittings
13-Jul-2008, 16:36
I believe, Sandy may know some about this too, that the price is about half of new? As you know these are critical, you can't work without them. If you don't mind I will change the title of this thread so he will see it.

wmdyer1
13-Jul-2008, 16:40
Please feel free to change the title.
Bill

adrian tyler
14-Jul-2008, 06:14
that is a rip off, its just a little bit of film output on an imagesetter, should cost about $6.00 max? i beleive that there is a file of this "slide" which you can output included with the oxygen bundle... i'd check around for a file first...

sanking
14-Jul-2008, 06:25
Hi folks! I've been looking for a calibration slide for my Creo Scitex Jazz+ scanner. I've had an offer from Genesis Equipment to sell me the calibration slide for $250. Is this a reasonable price? I'm new to the pro level scanner game and what things cost.
Thanks,
Bill

If the slide is in good condition $250 is a lot less than a new one from Creo/Kodak. You should call Kodak to check their price but my recollection is that they charge somewhere in the $400-500 range. The calibration slide is pretty much essential for operation of an EverSmart scanner so there is no other good alterative for calibrating the scanner so far as I know.

I bought my slide used from a fellow in Vancouver and paid about the same.

Sandy King

George Stewart
14-Jul-2008, 06:28
Check with Marc Jacques (Kodak Inside Sales)

(800)929-9209
(603)973-4397

He is the Creo guy and should have knowledge about the calibration slide. I think that the price sounds reasonable given the high-end nature of your scanner. Also, I think that your scanner should have come with one.

wmdyer1
14-Jul-2008, 07:14
Thank you all for your replies! I bought the scanner on e-*** and it came with a SCSI-Firewire adapter, the Full Oxygen software, most recent edition. But it lacked the film masks and of course, the Calibration Slide, which is essential. So, all in all this is costing me a fair amount of cash, but I suspect that once I get the Calibration Slide and find or make some film masks, I'll be happy with the resolution for 4X5 and 6X7 cm scans.
Thanks again for your input!
Bill D.

George Kara
14-Jul-2008, 07:47
Hi Bill

I have an eversmart pro and the calibration slide is the full size of the scanner. It takes a good 45 minutes or so to calibrate if I remember correctly. Im in AZ and purchased my scanner direct from Genesis. They are honest and fair from my experience.

You may want to consider purchasing the masks as well.

George

SergeyT
14-Jul-2008, 14:54
Bill ,

I do not think that you will need the masks to do the scanning. They make the "dry" mounting of the film somewhat more convenient and allow to do the pre-scan in a more straight forward way (you simply click the area on the mask to scan with the mouse on the preview screen).
But you can do the same things with no masks by either specifying the film area on the glass at the beginning (have to remember the numbers once you mounted the film on the glass) or by pre-scanning an approximate location of the film on the glass and then making precise crops of the areas with the film on it.

Masks are absolutely useless if you are after fluid mounting in my opinion.

Once you have set your Jazz+ up and running could you please confirm that the "Full Oxygen software" actually works with the Jazz+?

Thank you,
SergeyT.

Kirk Gittings
14-Jul-2008, 14:58
Once you have set your Jazz+ up and running could you please confirm that the "Full Oxygen software" actually works with the Jazz+?

I am curious about that too. It is an expensive upgrade with the firewire adapter I believe.

SergeyT
14-Jul-2008, 15:13
According to the data I have found on Kodak.com during my search for the Jazz+ software, the latest software that works with Jazz and Jazz+ is the EverSmart Scan version 3.5.x.x (which is also part of the FireWire Connectivity Kit (Creo P/N: 015-00719A)).

Ppl at Kodak (at least those answering the technical support numbers) do not want to hear about Jazz(+) anymore so I could not find a way to check on how to get that kit and its price.
Still will be interested to know whether the OXYgen worked for Bill.

SergeyT

Evanjoe610
14-Jul-2008, 21:08
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I have post some questions prior to buying my Scitex Eversmart Jazz+ scanner. I too am missing the calibration slide and the scanning Reflective/Transparency mask plus 35mm filmholders.

I guess that the 35mm slide filmholders are only available from Kodak. This question is for Sandy, do you have a company that you dealt with, that could fabricate a complete set of blank masks if the request is there? Is there a "magic" amount that could help lower the cost for these masks?

Regarding the OSX Oxygen Upgrade, I too would be most interested in upgrading my Eversmart Jazz+. Please keep all updated information posted here.

Thanks,

Evan Dong

sanking
15-Jul-2008, 07:47
Evan,

No, I don't know of a company that would fabricate the masks. When I purchased my EverSmart Pro it came with quite a number of masks so I have not had any need to pursue this. However, I did post in the file section of Scan Hi-End a file that could serve as a template for someone who wanted to have some of these masks punched. It would not be difficult at all to make a few by hand. Basically the mask is just a piece of thin plastic with pin holes punched in three spots that goes over the scan bed. You cut frames to support whatever format in in use. The masks provided by Creo were made with 35mm frames as well as frames for other common formats and would be useful for production purpose. But for scanning just a few negatives of one format you would not need anything that complicated as the major use of the masks, in addition to positioning multiple negatives, is simply to eliminate light reflections.

Sandy King

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I have post some questions prior to buying my Scitex Eversmart Jazz+ scanner. I too am missing the calibration slide and the scanning Reflective/Transparency mask plus 35mm filmholders.

I guess that the 35mm slide filmholders are only available from Kodak. This question is for Sandy, do you have a company that you dealt with, that could fabricate a complete set of blank masks if the request is there? Is there a "magic" amount that could help lower the cost for these masks?

Regarding the OSX Oxygen Upgrade, I too would be most interested in upgrading my Eversmart Jazz+. Please keep all updated information posted here.

Thanks,

Evan Dong

wmdyer1
15-Jul-2008, 10:04
I have ordered the calibration slide from Genesis. As soon as I get it and have the scanner working properly I'll give you feedback. I'll check tonight and give the version of Oxygen I received with the scanner. I'm told the scanner came from a university in Utah, and it came with the Firewire adapter and the software. My attempts to get ANY help from Kodak have thus far been rebuffed by either people who meant well, but couldn't even log onto the proper Kodak site to check what I was talking about (and I gave him the web address!), or simply refused to even check to see if they had any of the supplies I needed, because, "We stopped supporting that model 6 months ago." OK, but given that I have the catalogue number can you see if you have anything left? "No". Sheesh.
Again, thank you all for your information and feedback. I hope to soon have information that may be helpful to you all.
Bill D.

sanking
15-Jul-2008, 11:08
A warm welcome to Creo/Kodak's customer relation/service cesspool for older Creo and Scitex scanners.

Sandy King

I My attempts to get ANY help from Kodak have thus far been rebuffed by either people who meant well, but couldn't even log onto the proper Kodak site to check what I was talking about (and I gave him the web address!), or simply refused to even check to see if they had any of the supplies I needed, because, "We stopped supporting that model 6 months ago." OK, but given that I have the catalogue number can you see if you have anything left? "No". Sheesh.
Again, thank you all for your information and feedback. I hope to soon have information that may be helpful to you all.
Bill D.

wmdyer1
15-Jul-2008, 19:36
Well, I finally made it home from work. The Oxygen version I received with the Jazz+ scanner is version 3.5.0.1 My G5 Mac does open the software and recognizes the scanner (provided I'd started the scanner first, as with all SCSI products). I am now waiting on the Calibration Slide to arrive from Genesis.
Whether it would be worth it to buy the SCSI to Firewire adapter from Kodak separately is another question. I'm glad I've got it, but I wonder if just buying a SCSI card might be less expensive for those who have a Jazz+ but no Firewire adapter.

Evanjoe610
16-Jul-2008, 20:43
I am re-posting my message posted on another forum. I am trying to determine the correct calibration slide part no# and spare bulb for my new to come Jazz+.

I guess that I would most probably share the same stories that I read here regarding possible problems to face once I have the scanner in my hand.

For those individuals that had the complete software and hardware when
you purchased your scanner, regardless if it was a Supreme, Eversmart
Pro & II, Jazz Jazz+, IQsmart series......

Did you recieved the original Calibration slide with it and if so,
what was written on the slide as being the correct Part No.# for it?
I understand that there were Type I and Type II.

Type I Part No.# 509D1LO14 (Understand that its not for Eversmart
Supreme)

Type II Part No.# 509D1L014A (For later Creo IQ Smart Series?)

Which is the correct calibration slide for the Jazz+ and could one use
either one of them for the calibration of their scanner?

Scanner Lamp Bulb: It was brought to my attention that there were 2
different type of lamp bulbs used on the Scitex/Creo/Kodak scanners.
The visual different based on my observation was the width and depth
of the position of the open lamp area on the bulb. I would guess that
only one would work correct for the Jazz+, while the other will work
on certain models. Can someone explain the difference and which
scanner takes which bulb and calibration slide.

Thanks in advance,

Evan Dong

wmdyer1
17-Jul-2008, 10:16
Evan,
I'm getting my calibration slide for my Jazz+ from Genesis Equipment. They've been very helpful and responsive. The web address for the company is:

http://www.genesis-equipment.com/productslink_Refurbished-CreoScitex-Scanners_6_53.aspx

Send them an e-mail about what you need. They will probably be able to help you.
Bill

sanking
17-Jul-2008, 10:32
The issue of the calibration slide has come up before on the Scan Hi-End forum on Yahoo. My understanding is that a callibration slide will work with any EverSmart scanner, from the EverSmart to the EverSmart Supreme. These scanners were sold new with a calibration slide with parameters that were included on a floppy disk that you could use to re-load the calibration information without running the calibration routine with the slide. However, in many cases the used scanners that you find for sale do not have either a calibration slide or the floppy, but in this case you can calibrate the scanner with any slide. Just make sure that you give your scanner (glass top and bottom, bulbs, etc.) a good cleaning before attempting to run the calibration program. The routine is very precise and any dirt or debris on the glass in the calibration area can interfere with the routine.

Genesis would be a good place to buy a used calibration slide. Although I have never purchased anything from them they have been very generous in answering questions, in contrast to the dark hole that is Kodak service.

EverSmart scanners, all of them, are incredibly sharp scanners and very well made. If you look at the prices on Genesis you will see that they sell for a lot more than most other professional level scanners with similar specifications, in some cases more than drum scanners with even higher stated performance. There is a reason for this as they deliver results on a level very close to that of drum scanners with the same optical resolution and they are more versatile in that they allow scans of both reflected and transparent materials, rigid or flexible, up to 12X17" in size. All of the EverSmart scanners give full resolution anywhere on the bed, and all over the bed, due to the proprietary software that allows XY stitching. They are, as Lenny Eiger mentioned, "lawnmower" type scanners in that they scan in small strips and then stitch the files together.

Sandy King

I am re-posting my message posted on another forum. I am trying to determine the correct calibration slide part no# and spare bulb for my new to come Jazz+.

I guess that I would most probably share the same stories that I read here regarding possible problems to face once I have the scanner in my hand.

For those individuals that had the complete software and hardware when
you purchased your scanner, regardless if it was a Supreme, Eversmart
Pro & II, Jazz Jazz+, IQsmart series......

Did you recieved the original Calibration slide with it and if so,
what was written on the slide as being the correct Part No.# for it?
I understand that there were Type I and Type II.

Type I Part No.# 509D1LO14 (Understand that its not for Eversmart
Supreme)

Type II Part No.# 509D1L014A (For later Creo IQ Smart Series?)

Which is the correct calibration slide for the Jazz+ and could one use
either one of them for the calibration of their scanner?

Scanner Lamp Bulb: It was brought to my attention that there were 2
different type of lamp bulbs used on the Scitex/Creo/Kodak scanners.
The visual different based on my observation was the width and depth
of the position of the open lamp area on the bulb. I would guess that
only one would work correct for the Jazz+, while the other will work
on certain models. Can someone explain the difference and which
scanner takes which bulb and calibration slide.

Thanks in advance,

Evan Dong

philoumg
18-Jul-2008, 03:17
Hi,

I have type II coming with my eversmart supreme (with my serial
number write on it).
There is a second coming with my scanner (from eversmart pro that
seller have before supreme if i well understand).
I try it with my supreme but pins are different. It is
naming "Calibration target Cat N° 274A38549 type 3".

Thanks
Philippe

Evanjoe610
18-Jul-2008, 05:10
Sandy and Philippe,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Based on what I read in the Jazz & Jazz+ manual (PDF), Type II calibration slide target is the correct one.
I will be picking up my scanner tomorrow and was hopig to "borrow" a company's calibration slide target in ther meantime, while I search one out for myself.

The version he has is the type I. I wasn't sure if it was going towork on it, but I will try it tomorrow and get back to all. I was hoping that someone might had some experience using the Type I for calibrating their Jazz+.

As to the bulb, if the scanner passes the calibration test, was going ot try to locate the transparency and reflective bulb. I understand that it would be one of the two type I mentioned.

Software version would be 2.5 Version. Which version are you folks using and which one should I go for?

Thanks,

Evan

sanking
18-Jul-2008, 09:39
The calibration slide that I use with the EverSmart Pro is a Type 2, Catalog No. 509d1L014A. That number is a Scitex number and may or may not correspond to current Kodak catalog number.

The slide has a serial number, but that number is not the same as the serial number of my scanner.

Sandy King

Sandy and Philippe,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

Based on what I read in the Jazz & Jazz+ manual (PDF), Type II calibration slide target is the correct one.
I will be picking up my scanner tomorrow and was hopig to "borrow" a company's calibration slide target in ther meantime, while I search one out for myself.

The version he has is the type I. I wasn't sure if it was going towork on it, but I will try it tomorrow and get back to all. I was hoping that someone might had some experience using the Type I for calibrating their Jazz+.

As to the bulb, if the scanner passes the calibration test, was going ot try to locate the transparency and reflective bulb. I understand that it would be one of the two type I mentioned.

Software version would be 2.5 Version. Which version are you folks using and which one should I go for?

Thanks,

Evan

Evanjoe610
22-Jul-2008, 02:47
Hey Folks,

My Scitex Eversmart Jazz+ scanner was unable to past the Optics Test in the "Installation & Utilities" software loading. That included testing both calibration
target slides, so these two targets appear to be fine. I borrowed for
the weekend from friend,a Type 1 & Type 2 calibration slide. I went
ahead and generated the scanner table to test 3 chromes that I had.
ALthough I know that the scaner LUT tables are incomplete, I wantedto
test my scanner before the 7 day period is over.

The test chromes were a B/W negative 4 X 5, a color 4 X 5 chrome and a
8 X 10 chrome. I scan it in at 303.80 DPI or RES 12, and at 150%
strictly for testing purposes.

My scanner software is Version 2.51. Not great and I wish that I had
the Oxygen software with the updated color Lookup Tables.

Anyway what failed in the Optic Test was Station 2 & 3 (G & B
respectively). Message I received was "Out of Tolerance"

Station 2 Results:

Lens Pos -0.02

Head Turn -0.31

Head Tilt -1.18 OUT OF RANGE

NOTE: Range should be -1.0 (-1.2) <==> +1.0 (+1.2)

Station 3 Results:

Lens Pos 0.09

Head Turn -2.29

Head Tilt -1.56 OUT OF RANGE

NOTE: Range should be -1.0 (-1.2) <==> +1.0 (+1.2)

-----------------

Short of this message, I believe that the scanner is okay, but I will
have to ask Bill about it.

Did anyone here had a similar problem and were you able to fix it
yourself? If so, how do I go about fixing it? If its not within the
average person to fix it, I guess that I would have to make a service
call? Is that correct? Does anyone have a technican in the New Jersey
area for this fix?

BTW, my supplied software is Version 2.51. I guess that its an older
version. Does anyone here have an more later version that would work
on OS9.2? Is there a download for any of the version of software? If
so, I guess that it would have to come from Kodak?

Thanks,

Evan

George Kara
22-Jul-2008, 08:29
A warm welcome to Creo/Kodak's customer relation/service cesspool for older Creo and Scitex scanners.

Sandy King

Not quite as bad as this. Try getting parts from Ford for a 65 Mustang and you will get the same blank stare.

Parts for these long discontinued models are only available through aftermarket sales and support.

Like going to the junkyard I guess :)

George Kara
22-Jul-2008, 08:31
Call Genesis and ask them to assist you. You may have to pay a fee for their time via credit card.

sanking
22-Jul-2008, 10:25
George,

To put things in perspective, the EverSmart model I own was produced less than ten years ago, not in 1965.

Sandy King

Not quite as bad as this. Try getting parts from Ford for a 65 Mustang and you will get the same blank stare.

Parts for these long discontinued models are only available through aftermarket sales and support.

Like going to the junkyard I guess :)

Vertex Ninja
13-Mar-2009, 06:54
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a few similar questions.

I'm looking at purchasing a Jazz+ with the firewire upgrade. There is an included G4 with OSX and the latest version of the software for the Jazz(3.5.something or other). All software is included but no manual. There is also a calibration slide. The scanner is in very good shape and operational, but I won't be able to test it myself until I go to pick it up(~200 miles away). The current owner doesn't know how to use the calibration slide(nor do I); could someone walk me through this or provide me a link to the manual for download or purchase?

sanking
13-Mar-2009, 08:10
Send me by PM your email address and I will send you two .pdf files, one is an Installation and Maintenance Manual, the other is a Manual for your software. These are very large files, a couple of hundred pages each, and will answer all of your questions about setting up and using your Jazz scanner.

Sandy King

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a few similar questions.

I'm looking at purchasing a Jazz+ with the firewire upgrade. There is an included G4 with OSX and the latest version of the software for the Jazz(3.5.something or other). All software is included but no manual. There is also a calibration slide. The scanner is in very good shape and operational, but I won't be able to test it myself until I go to pick it up(~200 miles away). The current owner doesn't know how to use the calibration slide(nor do I); could someone walk me through this or provide me a link to the manual for download or purchase?

Vertex Ninja
13-Mar-2009, 08:18
PM sent, thank you!

Vertex Ninja
14-Mar-2009, 09:57
Jazz+ calibration:

The owner has ran the calibration for me. At the automatic diagnostics check, the optics test returns "failed". It then continues on and passes all the tests with 0 "out of tolerance" messages and finishes the calibration procedure. Has anyone else had a similar experience? The scanner scans fine and he says the results look great and very sharp, but there seems to be very faint banding in the shadows on some scans. There was an initial "bulb(trans.) replacement" warning, but that has not repeated. Could a dying bulb cause banding and the "failed" optics test? Any other ideas why it would fail the initial optics test, but pass all the following ones, create the tables, and complete the calibration?

Sorry if what I'm saying is a little vague, I'm kinda playing the telephone game because the owner and scanner are in another state; I can only pass on what I'm told. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

sanking
14-Mar-2009, 10:18
The reason that the diagnostics returned a "failed" for the optics test is not clear. This could result from a number of things, including a weak tube, dust or debris particles on the tube, or dust or debris on the scanner glass, either on the bed or the top piece. Or even on the CCD or mirror, both of which also can be cleaned but the process is somewhat delicate. When I first ran the diagnostics test on my EverSmart Pro scanner the first time the optics test passed. I had to run it again for some reason and the second time it failed. I cleaned the glass and tubes and ran the diagnostics a third time and it passed.

The fact that there is some banding suggests the need for cleaning something. Hopefully cleaning the glass on the bed and above and wiping off the tubes will clear up the problem.

Sandy King

Jazz+ calibration:

The owner has ran the calibration for me. At the automatic diagnostics check, the optics test returns "failed". It then continues on and passes all the tests with 0 "out of tolerance" messages and finishes the calibration procedure. Has anyone else had a similar experience? The scanner scans fine and he says the results look great and very sharp, but there seems to be very faint banding in the shadows on some scans. There was an initial "bulb(trans.) replacement" warning, but that has not repeated. Could a dying bulb cause banding and the "failed" optics test? Any other ideas why it would fail the initial optics test, but pass all the following ones, create the tables, and complete the calibration?

Sorry if what I'm saying is a little vague, I'm kinda playing the telephone game because the owner and scanner are in another state; I can only pass on what I'm told. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Vertex Ninja
14-Mar-2009, 14:20
Thank you Sandy, I'll pass your thoughts on to him.