PDA

View Full Version : Epson 3800 printer paper

ignatiusjk
11-Jul-2008, 16:09
Well I finally made the big move and got a Epson 3800 printer.I'm still getting use to it. My main question is where can I get 16x20 paper that is good stuff.I checked the Epson site and they want 177.00 for 25 sheets.Is there anybody else to go with? I want a display quality paper,fiber base, in short museum quality paper.By the way I'm not sure this printer is all that.I'm new to the whole digital thing.

Donald Miller
11-Jul-2008, 17:30
The question that needs to be answered is one that is highly subjective. I would recommend buying small sheets and small quantities of some of the more widely used papers and then making your own decision of which paper you want to use.

Some papers that I use are Hahnemuhle Photo Rag (matte), Harman (matte), Harman Gloss FB, Hahnemuhle Bamboo, Ilford Gold Silk. I am sure that others will have recommendations or suggest papers to try.

Ron Marshall
11-Jul-2008, 19:25
Inkjetart, and other dealers sell 5 sheet 8.5x11 trial packs of paper, or assortments of papers, so you can economically sample a few different papers.

I recommend you start with a matt paper and use ABW mode.

I second Hahnemuhle Photo Rag for a matt paper and Gold Fiber Silk for a glossy.

If you can't get the look you are after with the Epson inks then you might want to consider another inkset such as the Cone septone inks. But give it some time to get used to the workflow.

Brian Ellis
12-Jul-2008, 09:59
Digital printing paper isn't generally sold in 16x20 size, the paper size you'd normally order to make a 16x20 print is 17x22 paper. Also, digital printing paper is usually listed in terms of its surface (matte, semi-gloss, luster, etc.) rather than as "fiber" or something else.

You can get many different types of Epson paper in boxes of 25 (or even 50) sheets for a whole lot less than $177 and since you say you're just starting out I'd suggest that you not be too concerned at this point with using "museum quality" paper on which to learn. Instead, start with a good paper but one that doesn't cost anything like $177 for 25 sheets. For example, a 50 sheet box of 17x22 Epson Enhanced Matte paper costs about $50 in the U.S. and about $20 in 8 1/2 x 11. You could start learning with something of that size and cost, then when you're capable of making "museum quality" prints buy something larger and perhaps more "archival" (EEM is a good paper if you like matte papers, its only downside is that it tends to yellow a little with age).

I'd also suggest buying from some place other than the Epson store, you can find the same paper for less at other places. If you're in the U.S. Atlantic Exchange has the best paper prices and service I've found. And finally, your printer won't accept roll paper so don't buy any samples in rolls.

Preston
12-Jul-2008, 11:17
Here's the link to Atlantic Exchange...

http://www.atlex.com/

I haven't shopped here, but I've heard good things.

-P

Michael T. Murphy
12-Jul-2008, 17:27
I recommend you start with a matt paper and use ABW mode.

Which brings up a question for the OP: Are you printing in color or B&W?

Ron assumed B&W here.

Overall, have a look at Eric Chan's web site on the 3800. Great advice om papers, some profiles, etc.

Richard Jernigan
20-Sep-2008, 06:58
I agree with Brian that Epson Enhanced Matte paper (also called Premium Presentation) is a good way to go for high quality experimentation. Red River Paper in Dallas http://www.redriverpaper.com/ has been recommended for quality paper and they have a sample pack.

Richard
www.360pov.com

D. Bryant
20-Sep-2008, 07:32
Here's the link to Atlantic Exchange...

http://www.atlex.com/

I haven't shopped here, but I've heard good things.

-P
Atlex.com, has a good deal on sample packs of the new baryta coated papers. I would reccomend buying two or three of those to start.

Don Bryant

Lenny Eiger
21-Sep-2008, 12:18
My favorite supplier is Jimmy Doyle at Shades of Paper. www.shadesofpaper.com Many of the top printers get their paper from him. He's a great guy, and is straight with you about all sorts of things...

Lenny