PDA

View Full Version : Another landscape thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Daniel_Buck
9-Sep-2008, 00:12
I tried seeing what I could do with the branches in the foreground, seeing if I could do something nice with them around the chimney. I like most of the image, accept for the arrangement of the branches.

90mm from this weekend

http://www.buckshotsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/rileys_01.jpg

Steve M Hostetter
9-Sep-2008, 16:08
Hello,,, This was shot on overcast day w/ 4x5 Sinar P 90mm 5.6XL

Steve M Hostetter
9-Sep-2008, 16:14
PS... This was shot on Michigan City IN beach with lake Michigan in background in case you wondered

jim kitchen
9-Sep-2008, 21:31
Jim,

I appreciate your photos of Alberta. In 1998 my son and I camped in Kananaskis for 4 days, while on a motorcycle trip, and it is truly beautiful. Of course it rained 7 out of 10 days while in Canada, that's what waterproof stuff is for.

Dear Steve,

Thank you...

This part of the world is rather breath taking sometimes, and I hope you and your son had as much fun, as my son, and I do when we are together exploring. :)

jim k

jim kitchen
9-Sep-2008, 21:51
For Steve and his son... :)

I could not resist this image opportunity, while out and about with Alex last month, but unfortunately this jpeg does not show all the fabulous detail in the meadow's shaded trees or the mountain's shaded rock face. That said, we plan to hike to the top of the open meadow on our next outing, which should be shortly, but the weather may change just too quickly for both of us at the higher elevations, during the next few weeks. This should be totally adventurous for both of us.

jim k

August Squall, South Southeast of Little Highwood Pass, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/southSoutheastLittleHighwoodPass_AB.jpg

Jiri Vasina
9-Sep-2008, 22:35
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p5x8-014_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Eugene van der Merwe
12-Sep-2008, 00:07

I could not resist this image opportunity, while out and about with Alex last month, but unfortunately this jpeg does not show all the fabulous detail in the meadow's shaded trees or the mountain's shaded rock face. That said, we plan to hike to the top of the open meadow on our next outing, which should be shortly, but the weather may change just too quickly for both of us at the higher elevations, during the next few weeks. This should be totally adventurous for both of us.

jim k

August Squall, South Southeast of Little Highwood Pass, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada.

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/southSoutheastLittleHighwoodPass_AB.jpg

Stunnning image Jim, post a couple more like it and i'm sure my inspiration levels will run high enough to go out and actually shoot some Black and Whites myself!

jim kitchen
12-Sep-2008, 06:46
Stunnning image Jim, post a couple more like it and i'm sure my inspiration levels will run high enough to go out and actually shoot some Black and Whites myself!

Dear Eugene,

Thank you kind sir for your comments...

I would believe you must have scenery that is wondrous a few kilometres to your northeast, and to the south and southwest along the Capetown coast. I eagerly await any examples that you may show from your area.

My son Alex became inspired too, during our outings this past summer, and his favourite quote at the moment happens to be, "Black and white rules, colour drools..." :)

jim k

jim kitchen
12-Sep-2008, 06:52
http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p5x8-014_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Schneider Xenar 210mm, Rodinal.

Dear Jiri,

I really do like the consistency of your work. Well done... :)

jim k

Ken Lee
12-Sep-2008, 07:51
Dunno if this one qualifies as a portrait, or a landscape. I confess, it was made hand-held with a 6x9 Agfa Record folding camera.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/img326.jpg
Ogunquit, Maine, USA
105mm Apotar, TMY, Pyrocat MC

Jiri Vasina
12-Sep-2008, 09:01
Ken, what about a new category, a landscape portrait :) The atmosphere is great, I can very well imagine myself sitting in their position (the sea closest to me is over 700km and it's almost 10 months since I have seen any. And I miss it greatly). Yeah, the atmosphere is wonderful...

And, Jim, thanks for the words, but they could be used the other way round too (addressed to you ;) ).

SamReeves
13-Sep-2008, 21:46
A late August afternoon image, while on my way to Longview, Alberta to share a hearty dinner with my son Alex... :)

jim k

About 6:00pm, Ranchland, Kananaskis Country, Alberta, Canada

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/afternoonSunRanchland_AB.jpg

jim k

Outstanding stuff there. It makes me want to run up to the Canadian Rockies right now!

Edwin Beckenbach
13-Sep-2008, 23:41
45SU, 150mm Sironar-S, RVP100, f22 15", 0.6 NDG +81A

Eric James
13-Sep-2008, 23:53
Beautiful Edwin!

Edwin Beckenbach
14-Sep-2008, 00:09
Beautiful Edwin!

Thanks,

I actually found that yesterday buried in an old reject pile. I wonder what I was thinking.

jim kitchen
14-Sep-2008, 19:03
Outstanding stuff there. It makes me want to run up to the Canadian Rockies right now!

Merci...

Winter is just around the corner, and our door is always open. :)

jim k

stehei
15-Sep-2008, 14:47
Ok, a little nervous, since this is my first try to make
a real 'landscape', so don't be to harsh on me ;)

This is the southern part of the netherlands where
I grew up (no, the dutch land is not completely
flat),

Unsharp etc? Indeed, ektar aero on a graflex,

Preston
15-Sep-2008, 17:52
Alders on Basin Creek, Tuolumne County, CA 1980

http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/LF_Forum/Alders-BoulderBW-1web.jpg

OmegaView 45E
210 Schneider-Xenar
#8 Filter
Tri-X

I am finally getting around to scanning some old B&W negs that have been taunting me. It's really fun to work in B&W again!

-Preston

Edwin Beckenbach
19-Sep-2008, 17:09
September 12th, Santa Ynez Mountains
45SU, E100VS, 300mm Fujinon-C, 0.9 NDG, f16 1/15", Process +1

I normally wouldn't want to push the film in this situation but the wind was uncooperative. I actually metered at +2 but couldn't hold the sun on the test exposure. So I ended up processing +1 and then brought up the foreground clouds in post.

jim kitchen
19-Sep-2008, 18:20
Ok, a little nervous, since this is my first try to make
a real 'landscape', so don't be to harsh on me ;)

This is the southern part of the netherlands where
I grew up (no, the dutch land is not completely
flat),

Unsharp etc? Indeed, ektar aero on a graflex,

Great composition... :)

jim k

Joe O'Hara
22-Sep-2008, 10:42
I finally have my B/W process up, and it's really great to be working with it again. This is a recent shot from Wharton SF the morning after the remnants of the tropical storm went through. 210 Symmar-s, Tmax.

ljsegil
22-Sep-2008, 10:57
Well, it is a landscape, though earlier it had been a sunrise. Wehman 8x10, Fuji A 360mm, Kodak E100VS, converted to B&W (cloud colors were just garish) and then split toning (overdone perhaps) in PS. Honest, I'm trying, maybe someday.
LJS

Daniel_Buck
22-Sep-2008, 11:10
September 12th, Santa Ynez Mountains
45SU, E100VS, 300mm Fujinon-C, 0.9 NDG, f16 1/15", Process +1

Edwin, that is beautiful, I love the clouds below!

ljsegil
22-Sep-2008, 12:08
Original color version, no PS, E100VS.
LJS

Brian_A
22-Sep-2008, 13:21
Mr. S,

I have to say that I like the b&w version much more. It's nice to see both versions to compare, though.

-Brian

ljsegil
22-Sep-2008, 14:09
Thanks Brian, I agree. Wouldn't have been able to do it without photoshop, much as it may offend my (very) limited sense of purity.
LJS

Alex Hawley
22-Sep-2008, 20:16
Another day in the Kansas Flint Hills with the 7x17.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3158/2851520985_e6f856ccd5_o.jpg

belle
23-Sep-2008, 11:22
Stars & Stripe Barn, Central California - Shot with 8x10 Deardorff, 240mm Rodenstock, f/45 @ 1/15 sec, ISO 100.

jim kitchen
27-Sep-2008, 00:32
Great images folks... :)

This image is a new image from August, 2008.

A cattle rancher and his wife befriended me earlier this spring, while taking a dinner break at a local watering hole in Southwest Alberta, and during our discussion they kindly invited me back this summer to see their free range cattle ranch on horseback, so I could not resist...

Their ranch is just over 10K acres, where they are extremely proud of their property, along with their Black Angus cattle. I quickly discovered, while riding and discussing life in the country with them, that a great rivalry exists among the southwest Alberta ranchers, regarding the size of their ranch, the value of the land, and their prized cattle. I thoroughly enjoyed their western hospitality, their company, and the day immensely, but I did not enjoy my sore butt the next morning. I am such a green horn.

By chance, I captured a Chinook Arch forming over the foothills near the base of the mountains, while riding down one of the ranch's wide valleys in the late afternoon.

jim k

Free Range, Junction 533, Willow Valley, Alberta, Canada, 2008

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/freeRange_AB.jpg

Jiri Vasina
1-Oct-2008, 23:03
Grove.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p5x8-022_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", Schneider Repro-Claron 305mm, 5×8" Adox CHS 25, Rodinal.

Steve M Hostetter
8-Oct-2008, 18:14
Sand Beach, Acadia N.P. Maine: Sinar P 4x5 90mm 5.6XL SA

Steve M Hostetter
8-Oct-2008, 18:42
Lassen Volcano: Sinar P 8x10 210mm 5.6XL SS

jim kitchen
10-Oct-2008, 13:38
This will be my last image for a while, since I am about to become very busy within the oil and gas sector, doing my real world tasks this fall and winter, and where I will keep the image here for a very short period of time, due to issues mentioned previously...

Anyway I digress. I captured this image in late July, where the approaching southwest squall happened to be a very powerful and forceful brute that surprisingly ripped past my viewing location in a heartbeat, roaring over the foreground hills, which caused me to quickly run for cover inside my truck. Unfortunately my high school athletic ability was nowhere to be found, and I got thoroughly soaked, buffeted about, and lost my notes as the wind tore my notebook out of my hand, during that one hundred meter race to the truck.

Again, the things we must endure... :)

jim k

End of July Squall, Saddle Mountain Road, Willow Valley Area, Alberta, Canada, 2008

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/summerSquall_SaddleMountainRoad_AB.jpg

Monty McCutchen
10-Oct-2008, 14:13
It was worth it Jim!! ANOTHER superb image. I am especially fond of the stories of your travels with your son that accompany the images. Time well spent--the great images merely a bonus!

well done

Monty

mikebarger
10-Oct-2008, 16:10
Truely outstanding!

Mike

Allen in Montreal
10-Oct-2008, 19:28
Another stunning image Jim,
and if we must endure an absence of any more for a while,
it is worth repeating!!

Allen

This will be my last image for a while, since I am about to become very busy.......

...the things we must endure...

End of July Squall, Saddle Mountain Road, Willow Valley Area, Alberta, Canada, 2008

http://largeformatgroupimages.jimkitchen.ca/images/summerSquall_SaddleMountainRoad_AB.jpg

jim kitchen
10-Oct-2008, 20:43
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments...

It is my pleasure to show you a few of the images that I captured this past summer with my son.

The summer of 2008 was a great experience with my son Alex, as we hiked and camped within the foothills of southwestern Alberta, where I had the opportunity to pass a few survival skills along to Alex, while hiking in the open foothills, and the tightly congested trails within the Rocky Mountains. Alex just happens to be twelve years old, and at that age where his character will be influenced again by everything that I teach him, especially my on going demeanour, and where his experience with me will be reinforced between now and his eighteenth birthday, by doing this again, and again.

I am about to ramble for a moment, so please excuse me...

As side note, recent University of British Columbia studies indicates that a young man is extremely influenced by his father between the age of twelve and fourteen, and significantly influenced again at the age of eighteen, regarding his career and character, because there are two unique growth spurts in a young man's brain, compared to a young girl. University studies indicate that a young girl will develop her character, and solidify her career mindset when she is close to her twelfth birthday, and the young lady requires very little encouragement going forward. This study is a corollary to a study comparing a young boy and girl, born around December, where they are both pressed forward into school early, because of their cusp birthdays. The study indicates that the girl will succeed, and the boy could possibly fail when he is fourteen, but if the boy is retained one year to become the oldest in the class, he becomes more successful in life, because he is encouraged to become a leader, and a teacher to the younger children in his class. Such is the case with my son...

Alex is very accustomed to my long arduous hikes, carrying a few pieces of my equipment, camping in the middle of nowhere, listening to my rambling dialog about his money pit mother, and where Alex did not mind taking the odd break to go fishing in the late evening, since he is an avid fly fisherman, and a great fly tying expert for his age. Alex seems to always catch the largest fish, where Alex constantly reminds his father that his fly was the reason for his success. I believe he gave me a fly that would only catch a fish in the Pacific to begin with...

Alberta and British Columbia are kind to us by providing wondrous scenery, numerous great fishing holes and several well stock streams, but they happen to be buried deep within the wilderness...

For those of you that have young children, I could only suggest that you include your young ones, be it your sons, or daughters, to accompany you in your quest for gathering a few images to get them involved early in their life. I cannot begin to describe the quality time and all the inquisitive moments that you experience with your captive and, or charmed children, while you have them within an arm's length for an entire week, or even one day, deep within the wilderness. Alex will soon be the proud owner of my former Linhof 4X5 upon his thirteenth birthday in December, where he will be able to create his own images going forward, instead of asking for my Ebony 8X10.

To me, that will be a great memorable moment in my life...

The next memorable moment will be when I hand the vehicle fuel bill to my other half, and she opens her purse... :)

jim k

Monty McCutchen
11-Oct-2008, 02:36
Fantastic ramble!!!!!

Monty

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your comments...

It is my pleasure to show you a few of the images that I captured this past summer with my son.

The summer of 2008 was a great experience with my son Alex, as we hiked and camped within the foothills of southwestern Alberta, where I had the opportunity to pass a few survival skills along to Alex, while hiking in the open foothills, and the tightly congested trails within the Rocky Mountains. Alex just happens to be twelve years old, and at that age where his character will be influenced again by everything that I teach him, especially my on going demeanour, and where his experience with me will be reinforced between now and his eighteenth birthday, by doing this again, and again.

I am about to ramble for a moment, so please excuse me...

As side note, recent University of British Columbia studies indicates that a young man is extremely influenced by his father between the age of twelve and fourteen, and significantly influenced again at the age of eighteen, regarding his career and character, because there are two unique growth spurts in a young man's brain, compared to a young girl. University studies indicate that a young girl will develop her character, and solidify her career mindset when she is close to her twelfth birthday, and the young lady requires very little encouragement going forward. This study is a corollary to a study comparing a young boy and girl, born around December, where they are both pressed forward into school early, because of their cusp birthdays. The study indicates that the girl will succeed, and the boy could possibly fail when he is fourteen, but if the boy is retained one year to become the oldest in the class, he becomes more successful in life, because he is encouraged to become a leader, and a teacher to the younger children in his class. Such is the case with my son...

Alex is very accustomed to my long arduous hikes, carrying a few pieces of my equipment, camping in the middle of nowhere, listening to my rambling dialog about his money pit mother, and where Alex did not mind taking the odd break to go fishing in the late evening, since he is an avid fly fisherman, and a great fly tying expert for his age. Alex seems to always catch the largest fish, where Alex constantly reminds his father that his fly was the reason for his success. I believe he gave me a fly that would only catch a fish in the Pacific to begin with...

Alberta and British Columbia are kind to us by providing wondrous scenery, numerous great fishing holes and several well stock streams, but they happen to be buried deep within the wilderness...

For those of you that have young children, I could only suggest that you include your young ones, be it your sons, or daughters, to accompany you in your quest for gathering a few images to get them involved early in their life. I cannot begin to describe the quality time and all the inquisitive moments that you experience with your captive and, or charmed children, while you have them within an arm's length for an entire week, or even one day, deep within the wilderness. Alex will soon be the proud owner of my former Linhof 4X5 upon his thirteenth birthday in December, where he will be able to create his own images going forward, instead of asking for my Ebony 8X10.

To me, that will be a great memorable moment in my life...

The next memorable moment will be when I hand the vehicle fuel bill to my other half, and she opens her purse... :)

jim k

Brian Bullen
11-Oct-2008, 08:18
Jim,
Thanks for the information about a boys development in relation to his father's influence. I'm interested in reading more about the study as I have a five year old son who's birthday is on the school year cusp. We've held him back a year for the same reasons you've listed.
I enjoy reading your posts about the time spent out with your son and camera, I look forward to sharing similar experiences with my son. Thanks also for posting such beautiful images. So please keep posting photos and rambling!

Jiri Vasina
12-Oct-2008, 22:19
Another one in the "Calm Landscape" portfolio (http://www.vasina.net/?page_id=466).

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/leto/p4x6-003_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", Schneider G-Claron 150mm, 4¾×6½” (Half-Plate) Wephota NP 15, Rodinal.

Again too much rise with the Claron, causing vigneting on the top left corner. So I cropped the image to the 5x8" format ratio.

Greg Lockrey
12-Oct-2008, 22:44
I like your approach, Jiri. ;) ;)

matthew050204
13-Oct-2008, 15:14
I think large format is especially useful for landscapes, I just love the effect it creates. Tim, I reaaly love the photos that you posted, I love how you make the colors work and bring out the most in them. My absolute favorite is the fist one, the one at Easdale, Scotland. At first I thought it was maybe Iceland, because it looked so much like there was steam everywhere. I need to go to Scotland someday. These are absolutely amazing!

D. Bryant
13-Oct-2008, 15:41
A recent shot of Shiprock.

Don Beyant

Andrew ren
13-Oct-2008, 20:12
Just took a 28f with me on trip to China.MF work.

D. Bryant
13-Oct-2008, 20:32
Nice work Andrew but MF isn't LF.

Don Bryant

Greg Lockrey
13-Oct-2008, 20:37
But you do have some nice minimalist type work on your site, Andrew. :)

D. Bryant
13-Oct-2008, 21:55
But you do have some nice minimalist type work on your site, Andrew. :)
Ditto what Greg said!

Don Bryant

SadChi
13-Oct-2008, 22:54

Andrew,

Indeed, nice pictures. How do you achieve such creamy highlights?

Regards.

al olson
14-Oct-2008, 07:03
Beautiful images, Andrew!

The composition, the lighting, the texture, ... everything works.

You must be using a very expensive camera.;)

Ken Lee
14-Oct-2008, 07:10
What is a 28f ? My Google search provided some intriguing, but unlikely suggestions.

Ken Lee
14-Oct-2008, 07:19
"How do you achieve such creamy highlights?"

I don't mean to sound like a wise guy, but in looking at a lot of lovely photos, one often sees that they get creamy high values, by shooting subjects that already have creamy high values.

Or better yest, they appear creamy because of the juxstaposition of tones in the subject: next to a dark tone, a lighter set of tones takes on the appearance of greater local contrast, and looks lighter than it might otherwise appear. This isn't a matter of sensitometry, of of human perception.

The same thing happens in music, once you add a base line. It gives a sense of depth, and makes the normal tones sound higher and richer.

This is an oversimplification of course, but composition is largely about... composing, or bringing things together skillfully.

Louie Powell
14-Oct-2008, 08:49
[COLOR="Blue"][I]The same thing happens in music, once you add a base line. It gives a sense of depth, and makes the normal tones sound higher and richer. .

It's interesting that we so often gravitate to the same terminology to discuss both photography and music.

Could that the basis for a PhD dissertation?

Andrew ren
14-Oct-2008, 11:21
Thanks Don and Greg.
Don, actually I thought about that as I was uploading the images. end up put them up here to share with you guys, Hope you don't mind. Otherwise I could take them off line.

SadChi, I think it might because the light I always take photos with. I felt very comfortable under those kind of soft light. and the long-exposure might add its power on it too.

Thanks al and Ken. Actually it is an expensive camera, at least it use to be. :-) and sorry for the confusing, Ken. It's a Rollei 2.8f with Planar lens. I didn't take the 5x7 with me on this trip, as I want to control the weight of my photo gear; for a trip like this. I prefer my gear under 2kgs.. and this is my setup..

dynamo
14-Oct-2008, 14:21
http://www.digital-silence.de/largeformat/bahngelaende_03.jpg

Heidelberg, former depot (Sinar 13x18, 5,6/90 SA, APX100)

kev curry
14-Oct-2008, 14:29
Dynamo that's great
Love it.....

Allen in Montreal
14-Oct-2008, 16:14
Heidelberg, former depot (Sinar 13x18, 5,6/90 SA, APX100)

Very Nice!

Ken Lee
15-Oct-2008, 07:07
It's interesting that we so often gravitate to the same terminology to discuss both photography and music.

Could that the basis for a PhD dissertation?

Definitely... for those who like that sort of thing.

Personally, I would prefer to compose a nice composition, than a dissertation about someone else's composition. :rolleyes:

al olson
15-Oct-2008, 17:52
It would be interesting to know how many photographers, and in particular LF practitioners, are also musicians, amateur or professional. But please let's not start an unwieldy thread to find out.

John Kasaian
16-Oct-2008, 16:03
It would be interesting to know how many photographers, and in particular LF practitioners, are also musicians, amateur or professional. But please let's not start an unwieldy thread to find out.

Hmm...how about "Saxophones in the Landscape":D

JasonT
16-Oct-2008, 17:18
I've seen some great landscapes. Here's several of my first LF shots.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2351/2269091656_fba11dc5f2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonthomas/2269091656/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2035/2269090498_7994c26e3d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonthomas/2269090498/in/photostream/)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2289/2269090288_87128f4467.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonthomas/2269090288/in/photostream/)

Paul Fitzgerald
16-Oct-2008, 21:30
Andrew ren,

you're second and forth pictures, is that where they shot 'Mission Impossible III', the running scene?

Struan Gray
17-Oct-2008, 00:29
Jason, I love the echo in the Stone Mountain pic. Excellent seeing.

Andrew ren
17-Oct-2008, 02:28
Jason, I like the rich tonality. good work.

Paul, I believe the 4th is the "running pace" for sure. the 2nd one is just 69 ft away.

Andrew

PaulRicciardi
17-Oct-2008, 23:53
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2950295012_db64c79988.jpg

Taken this morning

Efke 25, exposed at F/45 for 34 seconds. Developed in Rodinal 1:100, stand develop for 1 hour

Rodney Polden
18-Oct-2008, 01:49
I really liked your pano of Shiprock, Don. What a great rock formation that is. What format was it - 4x10?

JasonT
18-Oct-2008, 05:02
Thanks Stuan and Andrew.

Jiri Vasina
19-Oct-2008, 22:39
Morning light. Latest addition to my "Serene Landscape" (http://www.vasina.net/?page_id=466) portfolio.

http://www.vasina.net/wp-content/gallery/podzim/p13x18-167_web.jpg

Chamonix 5×8", Schneider Repro-Claron 305mm, 13×18cm Fomapan 100, Rodinal.

(since I developed the image, I thought it was shot with the Xenar 210mm. Especially after I scanned it and saw all the glowing highlights. What was my surprise, when I looked up my notes and discovered how wrong I was. Even the Repro-Claron is capable of producing such a dreamy image - at least to me...)

Jiri

gevalia
28-Oct-2008, 06:51
Well,

Here's one of my 1st scans from out in southern Utah. The cottonwoods were blazing yellow and the wind wasn't helping much. I love desert varnish. I'm verrrrrry new to LF and film so be kind.

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/404438455_Fab9t-L.jpg

TMAX400 in Precsysol EF.

monsta
28-Oct-2008, 07:20
with my new 7 quid projection lens.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3184/2980440099_41a4e3ff3f_o.jpg

Jeremy Moore
28-Oct-2008, 08:28
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2976272543_9d3ec7b77f.jpg

Colin Graham
1-Nov-2008, 12:22
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2991207460_f7ed8448b5.jpg

More high-key flarey stuff.

Allen in Montreal
1-Nov-2008, 12:40
Some nice pictures everyone.

I like this Colin, it must be nice as a final print.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2991207460_f7ed8448b5.jpg

Preston
1-Nov-2008, 15:34
http://www.gildedmoon.com/images/canp/480-1Web.jpg

On the North Fork of Bishop Creek, 10/08/08, Sierra Nevada, CA.
Tachihara 4x5
Fujinon 180mm
Astia 100F

There is some truly excellent work displayed in this thread. Beautiful!

-P

Ken Lee
1-Nov-2008, 19:29
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/l2.jpg
Sinar P 360mm Nikor Process Lens
4x5 TMY in Pyrocat HD

monsta
2-Nov-2008, 05:41
another from nunhead, london.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2982728490_6902f661fd_o.jpg

Colin Graham
2-Nov-2008, 08:12
Many thanks Allen.

Jeremy Moore
2-Nov-2008, 20:03
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3227/2998052440_2040c58669_o.jpg

Near Los Alamos, NM

Brian Bullen
2-Nov-2008, 20:06
Colin, it's always a pleasure to view your work.

gevalia
3-Nov-2008, 08:22
Hiking into Bryce the back way - from Tropic.

TMAX400 in Prescysol EF.

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/407559352_fC6sZ-L.jpg

GSX4
3-Nov-2008, 08:54
Lovely image indeed. What petzval lens is this and what format.... Love the look and feel of this!

another from nunhead, london.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2982728490_6902f661fd_o.jpg

monsta
3-Nov-2008, 09:30
hiya andrew

it's shot on a chamonix 4x5 and the lens is a Newton & Co, london, projection lens. I got it on ebay and can find no information about it on the net. i took a punt on it and think i got a bit of a bargain for £7. it's a smallish lens in a chrome barrel with a brass sort of focussing thing, very simple.

cheers

john

gevalia
4-Nov-2008, 08:26
Bentonite hills in UT off Rt. 12 (or was it 24?).

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/409410271_SbcVL-L.jpg

mrladewig
4-Nov-2008, 09:02
Gevalia,

I can't say for certain, but I suspect that was shot along US 24 in UT. There are alot of bentonite areas between I-70 and Capitol Reef on US 24, but not so many once you head south on Rt 12 from Torrey Pines. At least not right along side the highway.

Regardless, you've done a very nice job of separating the layers and bringing out the shapes.

gevalia
4-Nov-2008, 13:47
Thanks mrladewig,

This years vacation to the area is just a blur. Logged about 40 miles of hiking and the water in the Escalante river was a little higher then I expected. That killed a few treks since I was not about to go swimming with a 50 lb backpack on.

Matt Magruder
4-Nov-2008, 14:27
http://www.matthewmagruder.com/files/gimgs/6_12x20ptpdgrsp1.jpg

Guadalupe River State Park near Boerne, TX
12x20 platinum/palladium print

venchka
4-Nov-2008, 14:36
Nice Matt! I wish I could have met y'all at the park. I hate when work gets in the way of fun.

Wayne

Shutter
4-Nov-2008, 15:01
I really have to start saving for a real field camera now, it was really hard to carry that thing on my back all day long...not to mention the locations I wasn't able to reach because of the heavy gear :(

Sinar F2 (4x5)
Symmar 150mm
Provia 100F

Alex Wei
4-Nov-2008, 21:30
I really enjoy reading this thread. A lot of wonderful works here.

Somewhere in the white mountains......

4X5 with 150mm lens, Tri-X souped in pyro developer.
http://www.pbase.com/image/105521051.jpg

Monty McCutchen
4-Nov-2008, 23:08
Alex,

that is very well done.

Monty

mrladewig
5-Nov-2008, 09:30
I really have to start saving for a real field camera now, it was really hard to carry that thing on my back all day long...not to mention the locations I wasn't able to reach because of the heavy gear :(

Sinar F2 (4x5)
Symmar 150mm
Provia 100F

I can sympathize. I got into 4X5 last year with a Calumet C-402. I bought a field camera as soon as I could afford it.

I have to say that you've captured some beautiful color for your hard work. The second is especially nice.

Mel-

Alex Wei
5-Nov-2008, 12:09
Alex,

that is very well done.

Monty

Thanks Monty.

jchesky
5-Nov-2008, 12:27
Brain, this is my first visit to this thread. Wonderful shot.

Paul H
6-Nov-2008, 01:57
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2970867078_3a66a6107a.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2970867078_c7839e04ee_o.jpg)

Orongorongo River, near Wellington, New Zealand.

Efke 25 (9x12cm) in an MPP Microtechnical.

mrladewig
6-Nov-2008, 09:16
I've just started to shoot E100G, but I really like it so far. This is from the first slides I've scanned with the film and I'm not exactly where I want to be on the scanning, but I'll get there.

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1485-1/NCC_45_100G_20081105_01.jpg

http://www.ladewigs.com/Gallery/d/1487-1/NCC_45_100G_20081105_02.jpg

JPlomley
8-Nov-2008, 08:10
Yoho NP
Arca Swiss 4x5
Rodenstock 135mm APO Sironar-S
Kodak E100VS

RmFrase
9-Nov-2008, 08:23
Still new to Large Format - here are some of my 1st landscape shots. Shen-Hao 4x5 with Velvia 100. Canyonlands National Park, Utah.

RmFrase
9-Nov-2008, 08:35
Still new to Large Format - here are some of my 1st landscape shots. Shen-Hao 4x5 with Velvia 100. Canyonlands National Park, Utah.

Mike Hansen
9-Nov-2008, 14:27
This is my first time posting a picture, and I hope I did it right.

1-Cathedral Gorge State Park, Nevada-- Fuji 125 W--Velvia 100F
2-Last saturday along the Virgin river, Utah--Nikon 210--KR6 Filter--E100VS
3-South of Rockville, Utah two weeks ago--Fuji 450--Velvia 100F

Mike Hansen

C. D. Keth
9-Nov-2008, 14:36

Pretty nice for first trips out. It looks like you're underexposing them a bit much, to me. I've found that underexposing chromes 1/4 to 1/3 stop is about right to help out the density.

Eugene van der Merwe
10-Nov-2008, 06:35
JPlomley, I want to go photograph there!! Lovely scenery, i like the subtle colour, especially in the river. Nicely done.

cobalt
10-Nov-2008, 06:58
:-0 Ken, we all watching you!

Beautiful work.

JPlomley
10-Nov-2008, 10:02
Eugene, thank-you for your kind comments. It is a frigid area of the world, located in Alberta. It was -40 centigrade the day I recorded this image.

Cheers,
Jeff

Vaughn
10-Nov-2008, 12:28
1-Cathedral Gorge State Park, Nevada-- Fuji 125 W--Velvia 100F
2-Last saturday along the Virgin river, Utah--Nikon 210--KR6 Filter--E100VS
3-South of Rockville, Utah two weeks ago--Fuji 450--Velvia 100F

Mike Hansen

Hello Mike, The images look good -- perhaps the second two a little undersatuated. How do the on-line images compare to the real thing?

Cathedral Gorge is a fun place. I know the scale of the place (and the particular formation, too)-- but your image does make one wonder what the actual scale is. Of the three, that one works the best for me.

Vaughn

Heroique
10-Nov-2008, 13:03
This summer, I drove 5,000 ft. up into the Pioneer Mountains (SW Montana) – me and my Tachi 4x5 got lost for a week.

July’s daily thunderstorms were ferocious – we thought we were going to die! :eek:

The trees up here live a tough life, but I think they’ve learned to thrive in such a hostile place, even if it means growing up gnarled and misshapen.

Most of the rocks, like this one in the center foreground, seem to be quartzite – that is, left-over pieces of metamorphosized sandstone that formed under Montana’s ancient shallow seas. All the rocks sported multi-colored lichen.

BTW, Can anybody tell what species tree this is?

Tachi 4x5
Schneider 110XL/5.6
Velvia 100F QuickLoad
1 sec. @ f/22 (slight wind :( )
Leveled camera, w/ 20mm front rise

Mike Hansen
10-Nov-2008, 14:08
Thanks Vaughn, The Second image is less saturated than the Real Thing. The third image is about the same as the Real Thing.

These are compressed files that I used to make prints, and they look good on paper.
If i'm going to post pictures I will have to do some research and learn the best way.

Mike

Heroique
10-Nov-2008, 14:27
Wow, this thread has hypnotized me, all day long. The shots are quite beautiful.

Heck, here’s another quick 4990 scan…

I paid a price for this perspective – setting up in ankle deep water. Lucky me, I had water-proofed my tall boots. But my feet still got wet and icy cold. I even lost a sheet of QuickLoad – I dropped it, watched it float away, & splashed down-stream to get it. Don’t like to litter! :rolleyes:

This is high-up on Pinegrass Ridge – an area SE of Mount Rainier in Washington State. Lots of black bear, porcupines, and owls. By May, the spring warmth melts the snow and short-lived streams gurgle and wander under forest cover..

By early July, no trace of the streams remain – well, unless you look really hard… :cool:

Tachi 4x5
Fuji A 240mm/9
Astia 100F QuickLoad
2 sec. @ f/32
Leveled camera, 5mm front fall, slight lens forward tilt.

h2oman
10-Nov-2008, 14:43
Heroique,

Without some detail of the needles, it is hard to tell what your tree is. I would guess, however, that it is either a whitebark pine or a limber pine. I'll have to do a bit of research to see what the range of whitebarks is - we get ones that look like your tree in the higher elevations here in the southern Cascades.

Heroique
10-Nov-2008, 14:47
Heroique,

Without some detail of the needles, it is hard to tell what your tree is. I would guess, however, that it is either a whitebark pine or a limber pine. I'll have to do a bit of research to see what the range of whitebarks is - we get ones that look like your tree in the higher elevations here in the southern Cascades.

Thanks, that's really kind! Wish I had some needles with me to help out.

Seems that LF people usually know a lot about trees. ;)

h2oman
11-Nov-2008, 14:28
I found my tree book, and this is what it has to say: "Whitebark pine grows at treeline throughout the Cascades and in the northern Rockies, clinging to the harshest sites that trees can endure." It also says the bark is "thin, scaly, and grayish througout its life." Finally, it is usually "distorted and bush-like." I'd say your specimen is certainly distorted. Without seeing the actual tree, this is where I'd put my money!

Heroique
11-Nov-2008, 23:51
I found my tree book, and this is what it has to say: "Whitebark pine grows at treeline throughout the Cascades and in the northern Rockies, clinging to the harshest sites that trees can endure." It also says the bark is "thin, scaly, and grayish througout its life." Finally, it is usually "distorted and bush-like." I'd say your specimen is certainly distorted. Without seeing the actual tree, this is where I'd put my money!

And it was indeed near the tree line. No other tree dared venture higher than this one!

My friend Arthur Lee Jacobson (the famous Seattle-based tree expert) took a look at the photo, too -- and confirmed your ID. Either a White Bark or Limber Pine, and he was inclined toward the former. (And he said only one White Bark grows in Seattle, as far as he knows, in Acacia Cemetery.)

Thanks for the ID help, it's nice to name trees in my photos! :D

Steve M Hostetter
12-Nov-2008, 09:24
Taken with an old brass Lantern lens on 8x10 film

Steve M Hostetter
12-Nov-2008, 09:34
This is a fine example of a Savannah ... Taken near Purdue University on Wildcat Creek.. 8x10" 210mm Sch lens

Vaughn
12-Nov-2008, 10:19
A neg from this year, printed a couple nights ago.

Tree, Falls, Yosemite National Park, 2008
8x10, Ilford FP4+ at 125 ASA
f90 @ 1 second
Developed in Ilford Universal PQ Developer
Scanned Platinum/palladium print

David Hedley
16-Nov-2008, 00:51
Ontake-san and Nishino-gawa, from Jizontogo pass, Kaida-mura (Honshu, Japan)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/3032314593_606681dfa9_b.jpg

Toyo 4x5, 300mm Nikkor, Astia

gevalia
16-Nov-2008, 04:41
Lower Calf Creek Falls

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/417829373_fN2jX-L.jpg

David Hedley
16-Nov-2008, 06:39
The Epson V700 can do 6x17!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/3034513148_3a8346a425_b.jpg

Fuji G617, Mount Fuji and the Hakone plain at sunset, Astia

goamules
16-Nov-2008, 14:08
Wetplate collodion. Taken in the Tucson Mountains yesterday. Quarterplate with Darlot Wide Angle Hemisperical lens.

Frank Petronio
18-Nov-2008, 23:23
Yawn, it's flat up by the Lake.

C. D. Keth
19-Nov-2008, 00:05
Yawn, it's flat up by the Lake.

Do you need a loupe to find the naked young lady in those, Frank? ;)

Seriously, though. I like the first one. It would look good printed big.

David Hedley
19-Nov-2008, 02:10
I like the second of Frank's, and I would also like to see a large print. Reminds me of Sugimoto's seascapes.

Here's another from Japan;

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3208/3042093660_bb4d10dd19.jpg

Toyo metal field, 300mm Nikkor (with slight front tilt), Astia

Shailendra
21-Nov-2008, 14:26
Wehman 8x10 (courtesy of Tom Perkins)...Tmax 100..240mm Rodenstock

Brian_A
21-Nov-2008, 15:52
Wehman 8x10 (courtesy of Tom Perkins)...Tmax 100..240mm Rodenstock

That must be an older shot. Most of those trees in the foreground aren't there anymore. Nice shot.

-Brian

Frank Petronio
21-Nov-2008, 16:48
Those damn Geese that poop on your lawn look better on the Lake...

Brian_A
21-Nov-2008, 16:54

For not being a portrait of some sort (All I can remember seeing of yours), that's a really nice shot.

-B

cobalt
21-Nov-2008, 17:40
Belle Isle Park.

Shailendra
21-Nov-2008, 17:49
Hi Brian, I've heard that they cleared away those trees recently. The shot was from November of 2007.

Brian_A
21-Nov-2008, 19:10
Yeah, they have. If you look in the Lounge for my post on Yosemite you can see that they have cleared away most of them with the exception of some on the right side. Had to put the pic in there as it's a digi. I had to wait till I got back to the area to take my film to my lab. I only trust one :) -B

Colin Graham
22-Nov-2008, 15:24
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/3050557151_89f614cdcf.jpg

From a storm earlier this week.

Bryan Lemasters
22-Nov-2008, 16:23
Geez, I hate having to follow Colin, but here goes:

Rising fog on a rainy morning, foreknobs of the Allegheny Front, Monongahela National Forest, WV

Deardorff 8x10, Apo-Ronar 480, Fomapan 100 (very thin neg)

seabird
22-Nov-2008, 18:17
Geez, I hate having to follow Colin

Yes, Colin's pictures are - not to put too fine a point on it - bloody brilliant, but I really like your one as well. Lyrical splendour!

Regards

Bryan Lemasters
22-Nov-2008, 21:15
Thanks Carey!

walter23
23-Nov-2008, 02:33
Nothing to win any awards here, but I finally got back to 4x5 last week after a hiatus of many months. Consider this a stagnation-breaking effort! The default "interesting tree closeup" subject matter:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b377/walter2323/wittys-tree-0.jpg

walter23
23-Nov-2008, 02:35
This will be my last image for a while, since I am about to become very busy within the oil and gas sector, doing my real world tasks this fall and winter, and where I will keep the image here for a very short period of time, due to issues mentioned previously...

Very nice, Jim. Imagine it looks even better printed.

David Hedley
23-Nov-2008, 04:48

Frank, that's really excellent. Here's something in a similar vein;

Sakhalin, from northern Hokkaido (near Wakkanai)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3042/3052694370_b5c66c970c_b.jpg

Fuji G617, Tri-X. I seem to have lost my exposure notes from this day, but it probably involved f/22 or f/32 and a yellow filter.

Colin Graham
23-Nov-2008, 11:37
Carey and Bryan, you're very kind.

Bryan, that is a great shot, love the separation in the hills. Lyrical is a great way to put it.

eddie
23-Nov-2008, 14:04
somewhere out near capital reef back in sept. thanks to all who suggested i go there....it was awesome.

i saw this shot under perfect skies. went back set up and then of course the light was gone.....i hung around waiting and it paid off. i plan to print it tonight....the print should blow away the scan ( my scanning sucks).

4x5...not sure which lens....i want to say 90mm but it was more likely the 159 wolly....

eddie

eddie
24-Nov-2008, 04:29
here is another from capital reef.

8x10 with my turner reich triple using the 20 inch element. yellow filter. printed on ilford warmtone RC using a #3 filter.

cheers

eddie

Jess C
10-Dec-2008, 20:41
A view from Picacho Peak.

Wista 4x5 SP fitted with a Wista 6x7 roll film back, T-Max 100, D:76 1:1

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/jcastmhs/Landscape1.jpg

gevalia
11-Dec-2008, 10:27
1st icicles of the season.

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/434326112_DZHQE-M.jpg

TMAX400 in Prescysol EF, Goerz 14" on 4x5

Miguel Coquis
12-Dec-2008, 11:03
Eggs land:-)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RwFNDsHP6Tk/SUKmg2vrjwI/AAAAAAAAAV0/gSjQ9WniuSU/s720/Huevos.jpg

bgh
12-Dec-2008, 11:18
Landscapes have never been my forte, but here's one on Edisto Island, South Carolina that I kind of like. I took it several years ago, when I lived in Charleston, and shot it as an illustration for this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Story-Sea-Island-Cotton/dp/0941711730

Since I had only one lens at the time, I know that it was my old-ish Schneider 150mm, but beyond that, I have no information on the shot.

Bruce

Allen in Montreal
12-Dec-2008, 11:23
Nice pic !

Eggs land:-)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_RwFNDsHP6Tk/SUKmg2vrjwI/AAAAAAAAAV0/gSjQ9WniuSU/s720/Huevos.jpg

xaheadx
14-Dec-2008, 17:58
Sevon Barrows, Nr Litchfield, Hampshire, UK.

A Linear Bowl Barrow Cemetery

Phillips Explorer 10x8 + Fujinon W 300mm f/5.6 @ f/45 + Kodak Portra 400NC
Scanned from contact.

gevalia
17-Dec-2008, 08:20
Frozen mist from a waterfall.

http://ronmiller.smugmug.com/photos/438043120_6uXHD-M.jpg

eddie
20-Dec-2008, 10:36
in the yard.

still shooting collodion.

more here (http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=882914) if you like

AlexLF
23-Dec-2008, 02:23
This is my first one on this forum. Taken with my Linhof Technikardan and Rodenstock 75 lenses.