PDA

View Full Version : Copyproof help.

Gary L. Quay
6-Jul-2008, 23:17
With the demise of Polaroid film, I picked up a copyproof (diffusion transfer) machine on eBay. I can't find instructions anywhere. Someone please tell me that I'm not crazy, and perhaps help me out with how to accomplish it. Here's what I want to do. I would like to simulate Type 55 film by using Efke Positive paper in the camera, and perhaps an orthochromatic film in the copyproof. The paper is much easier to process, and I can have a quick visual of what my lighting in the studio is doing. Another reason for doing this this is just to see what will happen. I like experimenting. I found diffusion transfer developer at freestyle. Do I absolutely need this developer? Also, how does the machine work? Are instructions available anywhere? What interesting effects or processes can be done with this machine that may not appear in the literature (if it's available)?

Thanks in advance!
--Gary

Peter K
7-Jul-2008, 08:18
Copyproof was the predecessor of Polaroid, invented independently by Edith Weyde and André Rott at Agfa in Germany resp. Gevaert in Belgium. The developer and fixer is embedded in the paper and will be only activated in the machine by a high alkanine fluid. In the positive paper colloidale silver is embedded so the unexposed silver can transfer from the negativ to the positiv and will be there reduced to metallic silver. This process works not with normal photographic paper.

Gary L. Quay
8-Jul-2008, 00:19
Does that mean that the machine is completely useless?

Peter K
8-Jul-2008, 00:50
As useless as an 8x10 Polaroid processor. But there should be some materials for graphic arts aviable as long as Freestyle offers the "developer".