PDA

View Full Version : Shooting without Tri/Monopod

DolphinDan
6-Jul-2008, 14:20
I will be visiting Mexico, specifically ancient Mayan cities in the Yucatan, this November. The Mexican Government does not allow tripods or monopods at these sites (technically, you have to get a permit from INAH, which only National Geographic photographers seem to be able to get). I would love to bring my LF gear but am not sure how to go about shooting without a tripod or monopod. Any suggestions? Alternatively, does anybody have any suggestions on how to get a permit to use a tripod at archaeological sites from INAH?

Daniel

David A. Goldfarb
6-Jul-2008, 14:38
Fast film and a press camera like a Graphic, Technika, Meridian, MPP, B&J, etc.

Ben Syverson
6-Jul-2008, 14:53
David's right... I've had good results hand-holding my Super Graphic even with ISO 100 films... If it's sunny, that means you can shoot at f/11 and 1/200 or 1/250, which is a perfectly reasonable speed if you're handholding a camera with a leaf shutter. If you're concerned about DOF, switch to 320 or 400 film, and you'll be able to handhold at f/22 or f/32...

Maris Rusis
6-Jul-2008, 16:14
I've used my Tachihara 4x5 without a tripod or a monopod by just balancing it on the end of the aluminium case I carry it around in.

Using a 90mm lens means the framing doesn't have to be super precise. The 4x5 negative is big enough to allow some air around the subject matter for later cropping. A long (3 feet) soft fabric covered cable release sends no vibration.

The down side is finding level ground to put the case on. And the worm's eye view of the world gets tedious too.

Sometimes I wish for a four legged camera stand so that when some jerk waffles on about tripods I can say "Can't you count? This is a quadropod!"

Daniel_Buck
6-Jul-2008, 20:02
I've used my Tachihara 4x5 without a tripod or a monopod by just balancing it on the end of the aluminium case I carry it around in.
you could probably mount a tripod screw to the case, and screw on your tripod head to the hard case when you get to your shooting location!

John Kasaian
6-Jul-2008, 20:09
I'd opt for a Speed, Super Speed, or Crown Graphic (or Linhof Technika) Thats what they were made for! :)

Either that or epoxy a bit of 1/4-20 thread on a hard hat for your wifey to wear :D

Rodney Polden
7-Jul-2008, 01:20
Certainly worth taking note of the above suggestions for using a press or technical camera, IMHO. A 90mm would be great, maybe even something wider, if you have it.

By their nature, the pyramidal sites like Palenque, Yaxchilan, Bonampak, Coba etc. make the wide view a necessity, and accompanying greater depth of field will be welcome. A coupled rangefinder makes life easier too, as will having available in your bag or wallet some tiny reprints of d-o-f tables for relevant focal lengths. Many places may present you with the possibility of perching your camera on benches, stonework architectural features and similar tripod substitutes (but careful to do no damage).

Now and then at INAH sites, I have seen photographers with compact monopods (maybe a 4-section would be less obvious at the entry gate to the site? 'Fancier' make some reasonable models for absurdly low prices, 'Feisol' too). A camera with some weight is actually easier to hold still for hand-held exposures than a fly-weight digital - more inertia.

And my last suggestion: sometimes great compositions can be found by shooting from _outside_ the actual site, so on those occasions a longer lens would be useful, and a tripod can then be used. Many many photographs of Tulum, for instance, are made from the beaches below the INAH site.

cjbroadbent
7-Jul-2008, 05:35
http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm440/downstairs_2008/triange.jpg
This fits in a bag, goes on cars and walls. No arguments - it's not a tripod - it's part of the camera. It's sheet aluminium, cut and bent in a press with a 3/8ths filleted hole. While your'e are at it, make some for your friends.

Jean-Louis Llech
7-Jul-2008, 10:41
I would love to bring my LF gear
Which LF gear ? Whether it is a Sinar P2 or a Speed Graphic, handheld, the problem is "sligtly" different, no ?
What about describing your equipment ?

jnantz
7-Jul-2008, 15:21
a beanbag works well too. ...

http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm440/downstairs_2008/triange.jpg
This fits in a bag, goes on cars and walls. No arguments - it's not a tripod - it's part of the camera. It's sheet aluminium, cut and bent in a press with a 3/8ths filleted hole. While your'e are at it, make some for your friends.

that's nice.

Kino
7-Jul-2008, 19:03
What about the old trick of a length of slender cable, a loop for your foot and a screw and washer to fit in the tripod socket?

Place your foot in the cable loop, pull up taunt, take a deep breath, exhale and push the shutter release...

Should work on a Graphic or other hand-held field camera.

Joseph O'Neil
8-Jul-2008, 05:34
Never been to Mexico, but I have been to many places where no monopod or tripod is allowed. You can adapt.

First off, anything that does not move can serve as a "tripod". Your camera can sit on top of your photo backpack while it is on the ground, if all else fails. But I have used the tops of park benches, garbage cans, tree stumps, the top of a fence, even the top of a control box mounted on the side of a traffic post.

You will not get the angles and shots you normally would like with a tripod, but it works.

Second thing you can do is sit on the ground, cross your legs, and hold your camera in your lap. Press down on top of it (not too hard) into your legs, and you will be surpirzed how steady you can get it to be.

As for framing your shot, you have to hand hold it and guess as best possible. What I do in these situations is use a lens that is slightly wide or wider angle than I might normally use, just to get everything in.

another trick I have done, but this one might get you into some trouble, is to hang my camera from a tree branch or similar with a rope or hook of some kind, pull down on the camera while taking a shot. Very similar idea to the cable & foot loop idea in the message above, but backwards.

Last thing I do, when all else fails, is find a tree, post or wall to lean against, and hold the side of the camera against the tree/post/wall and then shoot.

In all these cases, I use either my crown graphic or my tachiharia. I find my Zone VI to large and bulky for my taste in these situations, and i suspect the same is true for other large 4x5 cameras.

Thinking about it however, in your specific situation, if I was in your shoes, I would use my crown graphic. It is compact, tough, and I find my tachihara is a camera that gathers a lot of attention. I can mount my 135mm sironar on my crown graphic, and close the camera between shots. I can also preset the stops on the rails of the crown graphic for infinity for my 135mm, and when I am in a real hurry for a shot, I can snap open my crown, do a couple of shots, close up, and move on. Also readng other comments about using a 90mm, I used to have a plain old 90mm Angulon that I could leave on the crown graphic and close it up when not in use.

I personally think that's the way to go. You will loose some of the movements you might get with other cameras, even the tachihara, but I think it might be easier for you to shoot.

good luck
joe

DolphinDan
8-Jul-2008, 08:22
I am visiting some Mayan sites in the Yucatan this November. The Mexican Government requires a permit to use a tripod or monopod at these sites. I do not know of anyone other than NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC photographers who has gotten these permits. So I am looking for alternatives. Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas on how to shoot a view camera (5x7) without a tripod or monopod?

The only other solution I can think of is getting a 6x7 rangefinder camera, but it is just not the same as my 5x7.

Daniel

Walter Calahan
8-Jul-2008, 09:14
4x5 Crown Graphic.

IanG
8-Jul-2008, 10:22
Have to agree Crown Graphic, with a decent lens and fast film. I have similar problems in Turkey. While you can get permission it takes time & is very inconvenient.

Ian

cjbroadbent
8-Jul-2008, 13:04
Jnanian,
You can't put the film holder in the camera on a beanbag (Neither on a monopod, for that matter).

Jean-Louis Llech
9-Jul-2008, 10:57
Many photographers in the 40s used to shoot with a Graflex (Crown, Century, Pacemaker, Speed Graphic...) handheld. Only a problem of frequent training.
Once you tried to use such cameras handheld, you appreciate the freedom not to carry a tripod.

sanking
9-Jul-2008, 11:29
I am visiting some Mayan sites in the Yucatan this November. The Mexican Government requires a permit to use a tripod or monopod at these sites. I do not know of anyone other than NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC photographers who has gotten these permits. So I am looking for alternatives. Does anybody have any suggestions/ideas on how to shoot a view camera (5x7) without a tripod or monopod?

The only other solution I can think of is getting a 6x7 rangefinder camera, but it is just not the same as my 5x7.

Daniel

Yes, the permits are almost impossible to get, and if you can get one, it will be very expensive.

If you insist on using the 5X7 format you might be able to find some level elevated places where you can place the camera. I have had some success with this method, but it severely limits what you can photograph.

I faced the same problem several years ago and eventually decided that the best solution was to photography with a 6X7 or 6X9 rangefinder camera, first Fuji GW690 and GSW690, and more recently Mamiya 7II. A wide angle lens is the one you will most use in this type of photography.

You get a lot of sun in Mexico so for the most part you should be able to stop down a bit with high shutter speeds if you use a high speed film. In fact, even a ASA 100 film is fast enough for most scenes.

After working this way for a few years the only thing I really miss about not being able to use the 5X7 is the lack of perspective control with MF. However, if you scan you can do a lot of perspective control in Photoshop with the image file.

Sandy King

DolphinDan
9-Jul-2008, 13:17
Thanks to everyone for your feedback and solutions. I figure I will lay my camera on my backpack to shoot and maybe use a belt or something to hold it still.

I have heard mixed reviews on the press cameras, so for now I will pass on them.

I am still debating whether to get a 6x7 camera like the MAMIYA 7II.

For some reason my previous e-mail of thanks did not post... Hopefully this one will make it.

Namaste
Daniel

timparkin
10-Jul-2008, 05:47
If they allow walking poles, you have the option of your colleague carrying two identical poles and you carrying a single pole with a camera bracket on. With a little jiggery pokery, these could be simple clamped together onsite and with the addition of a small ballhead permanently attached to the camera, will make an ad-hoc tripod.

I figure you'll need a metal loop on each pole about 2/3 the way up which you can then attache a length of strong cord. This would stop the poles 'spreading'. For the connection at the top, you could have another three metal loops thought which you can tie a cord. I've knocked up a quick diagram...

I reckon this won't be the most stable concoction but with some testing it should be safe and flexible enough to get you the shots..

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z248/timparkin/adhoc-tripod-1.jpg

The trekking pole is by Awetech and has a hidden tripod socket on the handle and rubber feet so that the 'police' don't complain. A cheap ballhead from RRS or Manfrotto will screw in quickly I imagine..

Tim

David A. Goldfarb
10-Jul-2008, 06:12
I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed reviews" since there is quite a range of technical and press cameras with a variety of capabilities, and the lenses can be as fancy or as basic as you like, as on any view camera.

One attraction of a press camera or technical camera over an MF rangefinder is that even without a tripod you can use front rise with a little practice. On my Technika the way to do it is to look through the viewfinder and find a reference point at the top or bottom of the frame, then look at the groundglass lined up the same way, apply rise while holding the camera steady (that's the part that takes a little practice, but it's not really that hard, and you can check again if you need to), then make the exposure by framing with the viewfinder using the original reference point.

Jean-Louis Llech
12-Jul-2008, 01:59
With a Manfrotto monopod, you can use a small device screwed on the bottom of it.
It is a folding base for monopod 681B, made of three steel legs, which, after use, can be folded and stored inside the bottom section of the monopod.
Not as stable as a tripod, of course, but much more than a monopod alone.

Here is a picture of it. The head is a Linhof Profi ballhead II, with an Arca-Swiss quick release adapter that I use with my Rollei SL66 SE cameras.
When I use the monopod with the Linhof Master Technika, I prefer to replace the Arca QR adapter by a Linhof Quickfix II.

The second picture features other accessory feet which can be screwed under the monopod. The left one (suction cup) can be used on parket floors, inside museums or buildings, while the right one (stainless steel rectarctable spike) is used on non-fragile grounds.

al olson
21-Jul-2008, 13:43
Back in the 50s and early 60s I was using a Super Graphic for journalism work and I don't recall ever using a tripod. In fact I don't believe I owned one back then. I did find objects to support my camera or to brace myself as mentioned in prior posts.

The two photos below were made ca. 1959 with a Super Graphic (135mm Optar lens) on Super-XX film, ASA 100. If I were able to upload larger files you would be able to note how sharp these photos are. On the negative of the classroom building the bricks are tack sharp but I was not careful with the tilt on the film plane ... something to consider when you are hand holding.

Several years ago I acquired a newer Super Graphic and I purchased an old battery tube without the flash reflector to use as a solid handle like the flash I had on the earlier camera. This is a great aid in holding the camera steady.

On recent occasions I have also used a monopod that Adorama has had fashioned after an older Linhof monopod. It looks like a walking stick and collapses to a short length.

I have walked into places like Dumbarton Oaks where tripods and monopods are banned with the monopod collapsed but attached to the camera like a handle. I have received quizzical looks from the attendant at the gate but never been challenged. Then when I am out of sight in the gardens ...

Kirk Fry
21-Jul-2008, 23:45
I am not sure what the problem with a press cameras is. Sure they are not view cameras but they don't require the use of a tripod. They were designed to be hand held. If you want to use a view camera you almost have to have a tripod if you use movements (true of a press camera too). As a point and shoot, a press camera is superb. You have no idea how well a Crown is designed until you use one to do hand held work. There are 3 ways to frame a shot hand held. I think they even made a few 5X7 models too, but I have never seen one. K

Jean-Louis Llech
24-Jul-2008, 01:54
I agree with you, Kirk. These cameras are really great with one lens, always the same.
But the problem with all Graflex cameras appears when you need to change the lens on the field and consequently adjust the Kalart or Meyer rangefinder.
When the rangefinder needs only a cam exchange for using either a 75 or a 240mm lens, it is a bit easier IMO.