PDA

View Full Version : Monopod for 4x5

jasonjoo
3-Jul-2008, 12:58
This may sound ridiculous, but does anyone use a monopod with their 4x5 view camera? While I'm not sure how common it is for people to hand hold their view cameras, I was wondering about using a monopod when taking candid photos of friends and family. I'm currently looking at the Bogen 682B monopod which has 3 very small legs at the bottom that can serve as a "tripod" when necessary. I'm sure it's not the most stable solution, but I have my tripod for those situations.

So does anyone use a monopod with their 4x5 view camera? Is it not very practical? I am waiting for the next wave of Chamonix 4x5 cameras to get shipped to me and to my understanding, there is no place for a hand strap. With the monopod, I could probably lean the camera over my should while I make adjustments or if I dare, I could use the 3 small retractable legs on the bottom as well!

Thanks,

Jason

Edit: Oh, while on the subjects of support systems, I was wondering if the Bogen RC2 quick release plate was large enough for the Chamonix 4x5. The plate is VERY small. I tried looking for the specs on Bogen's website, but the information is not there. Its about 1.5x1.75 inches. Will I need a larger quick release plate? I use a Bogen 468MGRC2 ball head at the moment... I'm not even sure if I can swap out the quick release system!

Walter Calahan
3-Jul-2008, 13:58
May be for my Speed or Crown Graphic, or perhaps one of my Graflex SLRs when shooting in the 1/60 shutter speed range.

I never use quick release plates for my view or field cameras, other than the above mentioned. The cameras are slow enough to work, so why do I need a quick release? Doesn't take that long to unscrew a traditional mounting thread in a tripod head.

Ron Marshall
3-Jul-2008, 14:31
An old LF "trick" was balancing the camera on ones shoulder, so a monopod should work fine with shorter lenses, down to about 1/30 if you are steady.

jasonjoo
3-Jul-2008, 14:57
I prefer to use the quick release plate to prevent stripping the tripod mount from continually mounting and unmounting the camera from the tripod. Also, I've never really used a camera without a quick release plate. Working with a big LF camera doesn't seem like it will be any easier than mounting a smaller camera :) But, I took a look at my tripod and it seems like the quick release plate has a greater surface area than the point that would mount directly to the tripod socket, so I'll go ahead and keep the quick release plate or may even replace it with one with a greater surface area.

Thanks for the suggestion Ron. I'll just have to see what the base of the Chamonix is like when it arrives. I was planning on hauling the camera over my shoulder while attached to the tripod, but after looking at my tiny quick release plate, it seems like there might be a lot of stress at the point where the camera attaches to my ball head.

Thanks guys,

Jason

Rider
4-Jul-2008, 05:14
i tried once with a Speed Graphic. Framing was a pain, and changing film while propping the camera was no picnic either. Never tried again.

Joseph O'Neil
4-Jul-2008, 05:24
This may sound ridiculous, but does anyone use a monopod with their 4x5 view camera? While I'm not sure how common it is for people to hand hold their view cameras, I was wondering about using a monopod when taking candid photos of friends and family.

-snip-

I do it all the time. Used to always use one with my Crown Graphic, and now I use one quite often while hiking with my Tachihara.

You can't sit there and compose like you do when you tripod mount, but very often I'll use one in conjuntion to leaning against a tree or a rock or a wall.

I got myself into the habit of using a monopod when I found some years ago that while a tripod might raise hackles of some people in certian places & situations, using a monopod almost always goes unnoticed.

There are also times when you simply need or even prefer a tripod, but yes, a monopod is great. Here in Canada Bogden is Manfrotto, and I use a Manfrotto monopod with a - what do you call those heads - a pistol grip? Anyhow, one of those, and a quick release plate too.

So yes, I do, and i love it. But then I'm weird too. :D
joe

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2008, 06:25
While a nice big fat monopod is always going to be better, I use a really small, thin one that fits into my smallest bag no problem, since using a monopod is going to be a compromise anyway...

jasonjoo
4-Jul-2008, 10:47
Rider, you bring up a good point. That would be awkward indeed. Perhaps I'll have to add a few Grafmatics to the stable :)

Joe, I'm from LA and most museums/buildings do not allow tripods as well. I think a monopod will serve nicely for this situations.

Frank, another good point! I'll have to take a look at Bogen's other offerings. I don't think I'll mind the weight as much. I could use it as a walking stick and even a bat if I have to :X

Thanks!

Jason

Jean-Louis Llech
4-Jul-2008, 12:25
Yes, I currently use a monopod with a Linhof Master Technika. It's a Manfrotto 681B with Linhof II Ballhead and Linhof Quickfix II quick release attachment. The monopod (alone) weights 0.80 kg and has a load capacity of 12.00 kg.
Very easy to open and close with three levers for locking/unlocking the leg sections.
It is the model with an optional self-standing base : three steel legs hold the monopod and can be folded into the last section of the tube. Not a tripod, of course, but you can use both hands if you need, and the monopod holds upright by itself. (I keep the camera strap around my neck...)
You can, if you need, use a steel spike foot or a suction cup for inside use. (No steel spike foot on a parquet floor !!!)
I undoubtedly prefer Gitzo for tripods, but this Manfrotto monopod is excellent for my use with a rather heavy camera.

Jean-Louis Llech
13-Jul-2008, 06:00
Jason,
here is the proof : a Manfrotto 681B with the self-standing base accessory.
And yes, with a Linhof and a Super-Angulon 90mm (not the lightest lens), the left grip, the multifocal viewfinder etc... it stays upright alone !
Of course, when I use it, I don't leave it alone for half an hour. (I don't even do that with a tripod !).
But when I have to change a lens or the film holder or something else, I have both hands free. Security : I keep the strap around my neck.

- The second picture shows the Linhof Profi Ballhead II and the Linhof Quickfix II adapter with Q.R. plate screwed on the camera housing.
- The fourth picture shows how the base is folded and stored into the last section of the monopod.