PDA

View Full Version : New Bellows for Tachihara ?

Gary Nylander
30-Jun-2008, 16:29
Anyone out there have any luck replacing bellows on a Tachihara 4 x 5 view camera ? my trusty Tachi has developed multiple light leaks after 16 years of solid use, the rest of the camera is still in good shape so I thought I would see if its possible to find new bellows. I tried writing a place in England called Camera Bellows I don't know much about them.

Ernest Purdum
30-Jun-2008, 17:44
Camera Bellows has provided many Forum members (including me) with very satisfactory products.

Another thought might be Tachihara themselves.

Maretzo
30-Jun-2008, 17:46
I ordered from them a new bellows for my Tachi. No cheap but they know the exact size and it fits. Go for it.
Serge

http://www.camerabellows.com/Bellows.html

Preston
30-Jun-2008, 18:09
I had to replace the bellows on my Tachi a few years ago. I sent it to KEH Repair. They did a great job. I don't remember the cost, but I was pleased.

-PB

Gary Nylander
30-Jun-2008, 19:15
Thanks, Ernest, Maretzo and Preston for your replies. I will see what Camera Bellows says.

Dave Wooten
30-Jun-2008, 20:00
Doesnt Badger Graphic Sales sell new Tachihara cameras? Maybe they could order a new replacement?

Fred L
30-Jun-2008, 20:04
Is it beyond liquid electrical tape ? Used similar stuff on my Wista, just make sure to keep the bellows extended while it dries.

Gary Nylander
30-Jun-2008, 20:21
Fred, thanks for your suggestion, I have never heard of liquid electrical tape. I've counted at least a dozen pin holes, all in the top corners of the bellows, my concern would be even if I could patch them , I think new holes will surely develop down the road.

Dave, I have tried ordering some other parts for the Tachihara a number of years ago by writing directly to the company in Japan, but I never did get a response.

Dave Wooten
30-Jun-2008, 20:24
Fred, thanks for your suggestion, I have never heard of liquid electrical tape. I've counted at least a dozen pin holes, all in the top corners of the bellows, my concern would be even if I could patch them , I think new holes will surely develop down the road.

Dave, I have tried ordering some other parts for the Tachihara a number of years ago by writing directly to the company in Japan, but I never did get a response.
google Badger Graphic Sales...they have all the Tach cameras listed and some special order etc. I'd just call them and ask Jeff.

Kirk Gittings
30-Jun-2008, 21:26
My old Tachi had a wonderful lambskin bellows that was super flexible once broken in. Many of the aftermarket bellows are not nearly so flexicble. If you have to go aftermarket I would try and get what we call a "universal" bellows made which is very flexible and helps reduce the need for a bag bellows for wide angle lenses. I believe this material was first introduced by Canham but many cameras offer it now and is probably available from that English bellows company. I forget the name.

Gary Nylander
30-Jun-2008, 22:04
Kirk, if it doesn't cost and arm and a leg, a nice lambskin bellows would really be nice on my Tachi !

Dave, Thanks, I will check out Badger Graphic Sales.

Gary

Mark Sampson
1-Jul-2008, 05:22
I'll second Kirk about the lambsin bellows. The Tachi I bought new in '82 had those- they were excellent. A less flexible, thicker bellows wouldn't work nearly as well on that camera. If this is what your camera has now, spend the $$ necessary to get the original type replaced. (I've been cursing the plastic bellows on the ZoneVI- which replaced the Tachi- ever since.)

RichardRitter
1-Jul-2008, 06:00
I keep bellows on hand for the Tachihara and Wista both are the same size. the bellows I have are a modified Linhof tech bellows made by Camera Bellows. The original bellows on your camera are paper. The bellows on these camera has to be made to fit the camera or the camera will not close or you would have to shorten the length of the bellows. The universal bellows material will not work on this camera it is to thick.

I would stay away from lamb skin. All you need to do is get them wet fold up the camera and a week latter when you open the camera again the bellows are toast. Also leather is not IR safe. The only person that makes lamb skin bellows is Wisner. Also leather is 2 to 3 time more.

Kirk Gittings
1-Jul-2008, 07:10
Personally, though I never had any problems with the "lambskin" that was on my Tachihara (two of them for 18 or so years).........I think I would take Richards advice on this.

Gary Nylander
1-Jul-2008, 08:44
Richard, thanks for the advice......I received a reply back from Camera Bellows my cost would be 85 (GBP ), that is for a bellows with synthetic material.