PDA

View Full Version : US Battlefields in Winter - your favorites?

nelsonfotodotcom
30-Jun-2008, 07:15
A recent discussion on Civil War books in the Lounge got me to thinking about a possible road-trip this winter.

I've been to Gettysburg, nearly twenty years ago, and loved that entire region of Pennsylvania. I'm too far from it these days to make a quick run there and back. However, I am within range of Western Kentucky, Western Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Missouri; and of course all of Arkansas is my back yard, so...

We've not been getting much snowfall here in NW Arkansas, for whatever reason. There are two large battlefields very near to me: Prairie Grove and Pea Ridge, both of which would be nice during snow. I'm not betting on getting much snow this year, either, so I'm interested in traveling.

If you have winter scenes on hand, made in any of the battlefields in states I listed above, please post them, along with other information you think important.

Thank you.

Craig

Walter Calahan
30-Jun-2008, 10:59
Didn't get much snow at all here in the last two years, and I live 32 miles from Gettysburg. Corbit's Charge was only 5 miles from my house, but it took place on eastern Main Street which isn't very photogenic, unless you like to photograph Sheetz gas stations. Grin.

http://www.pccwrt.addr.com/Corbits_Charge.htm

Joseph O'Neil
30-Jun-2008, 13:12
Do you want snow and does it have to be a battlefield? Reason I ask is Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West is awesome . (well, it is to me, and I have enough of snow up here in Canada. :) )

The cannon are especailly delightful for a LF shooter. I stand to be corrected, but I think the biggest collection of large, Civil War era naval cannon in existance is at that Fort.

joe

Bob Salomon
30-Jun-2008, 13:31
Wrong war but we are not that far from Jockey Hollow and the encampment grounds.

These were not battlefields but still interesting to photograph the mock formations and maneuvers held there. Also Tempe Wicke's home.

Bill_1856
30-Jun-2008, 14:48
Shiloh, in West Tennessee, should be within a few hours drive for you. The battle was fought in early April, so not too different from the way it will look in Winter. In fact, it might actually be easier to see the lay of the land at that time.

Bill_1856
30-Jun-2008, 16:43
A few hours farther East from Shiloh is Chattanooga, where the "Battle above the Clouds" occurred in November, so a visit during the winter would be most appropiate.

Bill L.
30-Jun-2008, 17:23
I haven't seen it, but on my "one of these days list" is to photograph the luminaria at Antietam (Sharpsburg, MD). It is one of the more photogenic battlefields in the area. IIRC, the luminaria are lit the first Sat. in December. Harper's Ferry, WV is also worth a visit, although I prefer fall to winter, I imagine in a nice snow it would be great (assuming you can get there).

Cheers!
Bill

nelsonfotodotcom
30-Jun-2008, 18:03
Guys, thanks for all the info. Shiloh is on my list. Drove by it a few years back on the way to see Krause and Co. over at the Opry, but had no time to stop on either leg of the trip.

I am situated in the NW corner of Arkansas, a short hop from OK/KS/MO borders. Would like to keep my travels within 8 hours radius of my stoop, especially if winter weather conditions are in effect.

I've done some more digging for site near (enough) to me. Several in Eastern MO--Carthage, etc.--and looks to me like N. Alabama might be a nice trip, too, over to the site of Battle of Athens.

Any further east, and I might as well go see the Atlantic, which I have been missing since Dec. 2004.

I would also love, at some point, to get back up into the NE, spend time picking around Am-Rev-related historical sites, including battlefields.

C.

Pat Kearns
1-Jul-2008, 10:41
In Alabama, there is Fort Gaines at Dauphin Island and Fort Morgan at Gulf Shores that guarded the mouth of Mobile Bay. There is a ferry to crosses Mobile Bay between the forts. The ferry will save over 2 hours of driving time. In August there is usually a battle encampment at Fort Gaines around the anniversary of the Battle of Mobile Bay. In December there is another encampment. There are admission charges. Right now there are repairs and renovations going on at Fort Morgan. A week ago the workers unearthed a 119 lb unexploded artillery round fired during the battle.

wclavey
2-Jul-2008, 12:11
I usually go and scout places out with my MF and then after developing and printing, decide if I want to go back and shoot 4x5. I just returned from a day long trip to Ft Gaines and Ft Morgan (about 2 weeks ago) and shot about 5 120 rolls between them. Based on this past weekend of printing, I would definitely like to take the 4x5 back. Although it doesn't sound like the kind of opportunities the OP is looking for - - I think the striking thing at these 2 forts is the interiors and I think he may be looking more for landscapes.

Don7x17
29-Jul-2008, 12:04
Picacho Pass is beautiful in winter. Once a year, this year in March, they do the reenactment of the Civil War Battle that was furthest west (Picacho Pass) as well as two others that were actually New Mexico. You'll also enjoy the hike to the top of Pacheco Peak. And if you are exceptionally lucky, the wildflowers in Arizona desert will also be blooming...

Brian_A
29-Jul-2008, 17:45
I have to agree with Antietam. Great one. I'd add Manassas, as there are a ton of open fields that look really neat with the civil war era fences they have up everywhere.

-Brian