PDA

View Full Version : Palm Treo for field notes

chris_4622
29-Jun-2008, 14:18
I'm in need of a new cell phone and was looking at getting a Palm Treo. Would I be able to use the BTZS software on the OS of this phone? I was thinking of using this method for keeping field notes. Does it work with a touch pen or would I have to type everything?

thanks,

chris

Nitish Kanabar
29-Jun-2008, 15:29
You can use the Graffiti software to write directly on the screen to take notes.

No experience with the BTZS software but I have successfully used DofMaster and Vade Mecum on a Palm Treo. I also use a software called PDoan to monitor development times.

BarryS
29-Jun-2008, 18:13
I've been using a Treo for the last couple of years. It's a pretty decent phone and there are thousands of Palm OS programs, but I find it way easier to use a small notebook for photo field notes. Why not buy a dirt cheap old Palm and see if you like it for photo use?

Michael T. Murphy
29-Jun-2008, 20:46
Why not buy a dirt cheap old Palm and see if you like it for photo use?

I have a Palm M125 that only has a few months of use if you are interested. I tried it a few times for a month or so, then went back to paper for to-do type stuff. I also have a nice leather Daytimer wallet with it. I used the wallet, not the Palm. :)

The only small drawback is that it uses AAA batteries and goes through a set of two in 3 weeks to a month. But, buy rechargable batteries and no problem.

No idea what they sell for, guess I should check Ebay. E-mail using forum info if interested.

Best,
Michael

BennehBoy
30-Jun-2008, 00:58
I bought a cheapo panasonic digital voice recorder for notes.

robert amsden
30-Jun-2008, 09:01
The btzs software in a palm pilot will record all the data also a place add other info. It can be hooked up to computer and have data printed.

Brian Ellis
30-Jun-2008, 10:36
If you're talking about the BTZS expo-dev software, I used that software for many years but back then it was used with a pocket computer from Radio Shack rather than a Palm so I can't answer your specific question. However, the software does so many different, useful things besides record keeping that comparing it to making field notes is kind of like comparing an adding machine to a computer.

chris_4622
30-Jun-2008, 14:10
Thanks for all the replies. I currently use a small digital voice recorder in the field and like it however my cell phone has been dropped once too often and I have to replace it soon.

Again thanks for the help.

butterflydream
30-Jun-2008, 14:59
I use voice recording function of my mobile phone.
If I were in US, I would buy iPhone. Palm is the invention of the last century.

BarryS
30-Jun-2008, 15:05
Palm is the invention of the last century.

Oddly enough, many inventions from previous centuries still have their uses. :rolleyes:

wclavey
1-Jul-2008, 15:17
You can use the Graffiti software to write directly on the screen to take notes.

Slightly OT but I just got a Treo replacement for my old, old Palm IIIxe, and I can't find Graffiti on it. I LOVE Graffiti - - significantly faster than a keyboard... am I missing something?

BarryS
1-Jul-2008, 16:54
Slightly OT but I just got a Treo replacement for my old, old Palm IIIxe, and I can't find Graffiti on it. I LOVE Graffiti - - significantly faster than a keyboard... am I missing something?

http://mytreo.net/downloads/graffiti-anywhere,20.html

Nitish Kanabar
1-Jul-2008, 18:23

Here you go:
http://www.escande.org/palm/GrfAnywhere/