PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Bells Trip...

trink408
27-Jun-2008, 06:15
My trip to the Maroon Bells Wilderness is coming up in mid July, and I was looking for any information/advice that I can get before heading that way. Anything in particular I should be aware of this time of year?

I'm planning a 4 day backpacking trip leaving from Maroon lake.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

RickD
28-Jun-2008, 08:07
Kevin, I'd suggest calling the White River NFS station in Glenwood Springs (970)945-2521 or the Aspen District office (970)925-3445 to check on snow/trail conditions. It was an unusually snowy winter in general; not sure how this area specifically was affected, but trails that would normally be clear by July could still present some snowy obstacles.

Other than that, just prepare for crowds near the lake; once you start climbing, it will thin considerably. Flowers might be a little later than usual this year due to the snow. You could check in with the Rocky Mountain group (http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/bbs.cgi?a=vf10&ns=1) over on NPN for specifics on flowers, snow, etc.

Enjoy - it's spectacular scenery!

trink408
30-Jun-2008, 08:12
Kevin, I'd suggest calling the White River NFS station in Glenwood Springs (970)945-2521 or the Aspen District office (970)925-3445 to check on snow/trail conditions. It was an unusually snowy winter in general; not sure how this area specifically was affected, but trails that would normally be clear by July could still present some snowy obstacles.

Other than that, just prepare for crowds near the lake; once you start climbing, it will thin considerably. Flowers might be a little later than usual this year due to the snow. You could check in with the Rocky Mountain group (http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/bbs.cgi?a=vf10&ns=1) over on NPN for specifics on flowers, snow, etc.

Enjoy - it's spectacular scenery!

Thanks Rick,

I will try those phone#'s and see what information I can get. I'm checking out the nature photographers link as well..

I sure hope the trails are open, I was going to go in June but put it off another month for the snow to melt.. If the weather holds out I will be backpacking under the full moon, should be beautiful..

Kevin

mrladewig
30-Jun-2008, 09:44
Kevin,

I replied to your request at NPN/RMNP.

Mel-

trink408
30-Jun-2008, 10:46
Kevin,

I replied to your request at NPN/RMNP.

Mel-

Thanks much, I appreciate the information...