PDA

View Full Version : R2400 error message

Donald Miller
25-Jun-2008, 16:48
I have an error message on one of my R2400 printers indicating that some componants have reached the end of their service life. I have searched and this apparently is due to the ink pads. Has anyone had experience with this and is the only way to resolve this to return the printer to Epson?

Thanks for any help you are able to extend.

Jon Shiu
25-Jun-2008, 18:52
Hi, many using a CIS - continuous ink system - route the waste line into a bottle and use software to reset the printer.

Jon

Donald Miller
25-Jun-2008, 19:10
Jon, Is the software reset something that is already part of the driver or is it something that must be added?

I am using MIS carts and not a CIS.

Thanks for the info.

Jon Shiu
25-Jun-2008, 19:35
Hi, the third party utility to reset is called the ssc utility, which you can download (pc only). You can find some info on installing a waste bottle at inkrepublic.com. Or you can call your local Epson repair facility (can look it up on epson.com site) and ask them how much to put a new pad in and reset.

Jon

darr
25-Jun-2008, 21:56
Donald out of curiosity since I own a R2400, has this printer seen a heavy load of printing? I am just wondering how long until mine might give me that error message.

Darr

Donald Miller
26-Jun-2008, 08:40
Donald out of curiosity since I own a R2400, has this printer seen a heavy load of printing? I am just wondering how long until mine might give me that error message.

Darr

Darr,
No, it hasn't seen a heavy load at all. I phoned Epson and they indicated that this could occur within a year.

darr
26-Jun-2008, 08:56
Darr,
No, it hasn't seen a heavy load at all. I phoned Epson and they indicated that this could occur within a year.

Excuse my un-classiness, but that SUCKS!! :mad:
Please keep us updated on how it all works out.

Darr

Jon Shiu
26-Jun-2008, 09:44
If you do a search on "Epson waste ink" on ebay there is some more info available on an auction for waste ink tanks.

Jon

Donald Miller
26-Jun-2008, 10:30
If you do a search on "Epson waste ink" on ebay there is some more info available on an auction for waste ink tanks.

Jon

Jon, I am not sure about this but it seems that the waste ink tanks do not solve the problem because Epson has a counter that needs to be reset. This counter, from what I have been told, is more on the amount of usage than the actual physical loading of the waste ink pads.

As I said, this is peliminary. I will find out more and report it when I finally get this resolved.

Donald Miller
26-Jun-2008, 10:31
Excuse my un-classiness, but that SUCKS!! :mad:
Please keep us updated on how it all works out.

Darr

Yep...sucks big time...Had I known this, I would not have bought one of these printers let alone the two that I now have.

Donald Miller
26-Jun-2008, 11:00
O.K...Here we go.

There is a freeware program that allows one to reset their own counter. This only works on Windows platform. The link is as follows:

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

I have used it on Windows Vista Ultimate (64 bit) and it works on that OS.

Additionally there is an alternative to replacing the ink pad. A general idea of what that involves is found at this link:

http://www.inkrepublic.com/KnowledgeBase/WasteInk.asp

I have not yet disassembled my printer to see what this amounts to on the R2400. I plan on doing that shortly since to reset the counter is not the full solution to the problem.

In checking with MIS (the company whose carts and ink that I use) they said that the error has been determined by other users to be somewhat premature and one can run a while on the existing ink pad before replacement after the counter is reset. I don't want to have ink running over the pad so I will not chance that. The tech at MIS said that typical cost for pad replacement at an Epson center was around $100.00.

Hope this helps.

Don

Donald Miller
27-Jun-2008, 14:59
As a further update to the ink pad issue on an Epson R2400, Ink Republic (www.inkrepublic.com) has instructions in their knowledge base to do away with the Epson waste ink pad and to replace it with an external bottle. Relatively straight forward to accomplish this modification.

D. Bryant
27-Jun-2008, 16:02
Yep...sucks big time...Had I known this, I would not have bought one of these printers let alone the two that I now have.

Donald,

Download the SSC utility and reset the ink counters or what ever they are called. I'll bet that will solve your error.

Don Bryant

Donald Miller
27-Jun-2008, 17:26
Donald,

Download the SSC utility and reset the ink counters or what ever they are called. I'll bet that will solve your error.

Don Bryant

Don, Thanks I have already done that and it did solve the error message. The waste ink pad still needs to be changed or bypassed or it will overflow at some point.

rhodej00
14-Aug-2008, 01:34
I was just about to order the r2400 when I spotted these threads ref. error message. Has the solution to this ever been established? If yes should I go ahead and purchase? Are the print results worth the purchase? Any help would be appreciated.

Kuzano
14-Aug-2008, 09:03

Epson is not the only one who does this. I have seen the same process on Canon printers.

It wouldn't surprise me to see it on HP as well. Does anyone here know if there is an expiration on HP ink pads.