PDA

View Full Version : New member - need help choosing film scanner

iamKiam
22-Jun-2008, 13:19
Hello everyone, I've been reading through this board for a few hours now, and I still have not found the answers I was looking for, so I thought I might as well join in.

Currently, I'm only working with 35mm and medium format, but soon, I'd like to give large format a try. I have a lot of MF negs and slides, as well as a bunch of 35mm that I'd like to scan for my website.

I am looking for a scanner that can handle: 35mm negs/slides, 120/220 6x6, as well as panoramic (from my experimentations with Holga), and a reflective scanner for my Polaroids, and soon 4x5 negs.

Now it seems there are a few that are within my price range, but they all have seemingly major flaws and complaints from the users.

Which of these would be the best for my purposes (fashion/portrait/street/travel photography), in your opinion? I operate on a MacBook Pro, 2.14GHz, 2G RAM.

I'm looking to print my photos in a book, and perhaps no bigger than 16x20, or something close.

*Microtek i900, i800, M1?
- On paper, any of these seem ideal. But I hear a lot of problems with tech support. Are these scanners reliable? They seem the most bang for your buck, but if they break down easily, then what's the point?
- Does the i900 scan 6x6 MF?
- The striping issue with M1, is that only with large format films? Has it been fixed since?

*Epson 4990
- I hear a lot of good about this one, but is it versatile enough?

*Epson V700/750
- They look amazing, but the price is a little steeper for me, and I have concerns about scanning through the glass.

Thank you so much, to anyone who responds, I am really looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Ron Marshall
22-Jun-2008, 14:26
The current Epson models are the 700 and 750; the 4990 is sometimes available refurbished through the Epson website.

Consumer flatbeds won't give you enough resolution for a 16x20 from medium format, and may not be enough for highest quality from 4x5 inch film (see the many posts on this subject).

You might be better with a scanner such as the Nikon 9000, that will handle roll film and 35mm, then consider the 4x5 at a later date.

Kirk Gittings
22-Jun-2008, 14:52
I'm never satisfied with 16x20's from this level of scanner, but that is just my taste. To me they require too much sharpening to look sharp at that size. You sound to me like you need a dedicated film scanner like the Nikon 9000 as Ron mentioned above. It will do better on small and medium formats than a consumer flatbed.

iamKiam
22-Jun-2008, 22:34
I've actually used the Nikon 9000 in school, and am highly impressed. unfortunately I can't afford it at this time. I'm a 23 yr old college student!

Perhaps I shouldn't blow anything up as big as 16x20, then

Has anyone seen the print quality from a full scan by a V700, say as an 11x14?

More and more, that's looking like the one for me to get. it's around the same price as the i900, but from a more reliable brand.

thoughts?

Ron Marshall
22-Jun-2008, 23:23
An 11x14 from a 4x5 neg scanned on the 4990 is excellent quality.

Greg Lockrey
23-Jun-2008, 00:53
For the purposes that you described the Epson 700-750v or a Microtek M1 will suit you just fine. The 4x rule that many here espouse to are for the extremely critical types who have to put their noses on the print with a 10x magnifier to look at dot patterns from the ink-jet printer. You may like the look of a 16x20 from a medium format film. 35 mm is pushing it beyond 9x12" though and I'm not that critical.

BTW, I see you are from Rota. I was stationed there for a time in the mid '70s while in the Navy. A beautiful place to be sure. Did a lot of cycling while I was there.

Ken Lee
23-Jun-2008, 07:23
Which of these would be the best for my purposes (fashion/portrait/street/travel photography)... ?

The Epson 4990 delivers around 2100 spi (samples per inch), and if you plan to publish at 300 dpi, this allows you a maximum enlargement of 7X.

That's enough enlargement for 4x5, but to get a 20-inch print from a 6x6 negative (2 1/4 x 2 1/4), requires 10X enlargement - and that's without any cropping. You'll need a scanner that delivers at least 3000 spi. For that, you really need a dedicated film scanner, not a consumer flatbed.

Keep in mind that these numbers are for Large Format types, who tend to walk right up to prints and look closely, expecting high fidelity in the details, and rich tones in the smooth areas. The general public may not be as... observant.

Kirk Gittings
23-Jun-2008, 07:30
I'm looking to print my photos in a book, and perhaps no bigger than 16x20, or something close.

Ken Lee
23-Jun-2008, 07:59
Oops... Thanks Kirk - I changed my post accordingly.