PDA

View Full Version : Wraps for 8x10 holders

Dirk Rösler
18-Jun-2008, 18:39
Hi,

I really like the velcro'ed wrapping cloth that my Chamonix 45N came in. What is a good source for these, especially a size that wraps 2 or 3 8x10 film holders?

Oh, and I don't want to pay $15 "photo equipment premium" for each of these...

Dirk

Walter Calahan
18-Jun-2008, 19:10
Never use wraps for my 8x10 holders. LowePro makes a laptop computer case that can hold 3 8x10 holders nicely. You can special order than. They are usually an add-on case for one of their backpacks.

I carry and store my holders in a large insulated lunch bag sold by Duluth Trading Company. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/department/organizers_bags/organizers_bags2/coolers/35628.aspx?feature=Product_5

Robert Fisher
18-Jun-2008, 19:30
Dirk, I use anti static plastic bubble bags with pull down flap - come in many sizes.

Helps solve static problem, light, inexpensive and good protection

Dirk Rösler
18-Jun-2008, 19:41
Thanks - lunchbox looks yummy ;)

Robert, do these bags hold one each or several at ones? I partly want this for protection, but mainly to hold a few of them together and keep it organised in the bag.

Bob Salomon
19-Jun-2008, 02:18
Novoflex makes wraps out of Neoprene so they can be stretched to fit the item tightly and securely. 4 sizes are available.

phaedrus
19-Jun-2008, 04:19
Another voice for using laptop bags to carry 8x10 film holders in. The one I'm using came with a LightWare photo bag and holds 4 of them.

Geert
19-Jun-2008, 05:24
look for a 'cube' from Eagle Creek. The 2-sided cube holds 3 Fidelity type 8x10 holders on each side.
$20.00

http://www.eaglecreek.com/product/Pack-It-2-Sided-Cube-40140/?search=cube

I added a sheet of cardboard to protect the outer darkslide from impacts.

G

Daniel_Buck
19-Jun-2008, 10:37
I carry and store my holders in a large insulated lunch bag sold by Duluth Trading Company. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/department/organizers_bags/organizers_bags2/coolers/35628.aspx?feature=Product_5
how many can you fit in there?

David A. Goldfarb
19-Jun-2008, 10:45
Matt Blais ("Blaze On") was selling these top-loading soft coolers that hold 6 8x10" holders perfectly in the vertical position a while back on APUG. I have three of them, and quite a few others bought them at the time. I think he's on this forum, so maybe he can suggest a source. They're fairly common items, I think.

Vaughn
19-Jun-2008, 21:34
Matt Blais ("Blaze On") was selling these top-loading soft coolers that hold 6 8x10" holders perfectly in the vertical position a while back on APUG. I have three of them, and quite a few others bought them at the time. I think he's on this forum, so maybe he can suggest a source. They're fairly common items, I think.

I got 3 of those (or something similar), too. Mine say "California Innovations" on them. Work great. Feels like closed cell foam padding all around, nice carrying strap.

Vaughn

Dirk Rösler
19-Jun-2008, 21:35
Thanks for suggestions. If I can avoid it I don't want another bag, just something to hold them together nicely...

John Powers
21-Jun-2008, 14:02
I use the black plastic bag that comes with 16x20 or 20x24 Kentmere FBVC printing paper. I assume other papers are shipped with something similar. It is clean, light tight and already paid for. I carry eight holders in a small cheap back pack and another eight in a $15 zip up bag from Walmart. My rate of printing seems to exceed the rate that these black plastic bags wear out. In a pinch the same bags work pretty well for 7x17 film holders as well.

John

Jon Shiu
21-Jun-2008, 15:12
I use one of those zippered 3-ring binders with the ring part removed. Holds 3 or 4 holders in plastic bags.

Jon

matthew blais
21-Jun-2008, 20:43
The 8x10 (cal. Innovation bags) I had a year or so ago were perfect. I got hold of discontinued size for the promotional industry, as it's part of my business.

They are gone, but I recently found a cheap laptop pouch that will hold two nicely and is under $6.00.

If anyone wants some, I have to order 24 to get that price. I store my loaded holders in two of the bags I previously bought and sold, and carry two in the laptop case when hiking a bit.

Check out your "Pic-N-Save" if they are in your area for cheap cooler bags.

Dirk Rösler
22-Jun-2008, 21:23
Thanks all, looks like the solution is to look around for similar sized items for different purposes and appropriate it somehow...

John Kasaian
22-Jun-2008, 22:15
Zippered dust-proof pillow protectors from Walmart. Cheap and organic (cotton) I use king size for my 12x20 holders. The standard size works for 8x10 but I prefer the really big Hefty zip lock storeage bags--I can fit 5 holders in one bag. The California Innovation coolers are very nice and offer some padding for protection. There are also insulated bags for taking home ice cream from the market and these have velcro flaps(not my cup of tea) and the Jansport Equinox daypack. I don't remember how many 8x10 holders I've fit into mine, but I'm positive it will take at least five or six---what I like is the color which is light tan to reflect heat. A classy alternative would be to look up a guy in Texas, Scotty Turner I think is his name, he ran Turner Saddlery and built beautiful leather chart cases for airline pilots. If you could talk him into making a leather bag for your holders you'd have one classy looking kit! :D