PDA

View Full Version : JOBO motor getting sluggish

Cristiano Abreu
12-Jun-2008, 15:58
Hi,
Lately, my JOBO CPP-2 motor is getting sluggish, normally after 10 mins or so of processing. It's a 1st upgrade motor and although it's not the most robust for a #3010 expert drum, when I bought the processor used a few months ago the motor has performed flawless until now. What have I... a dying motor or It needs some sort of lubrication? Has anyone tried to lubricate it?
Cheers,
Cristiano

P.S. I've never used the drum with more than 550 ml of solution, to reduce strain on the motor.

Paul Metcalf
12-Jun-2008, 19:35
Cristiano-
Mine's the same way, seems to get sluggish quicker when processing at warmer temperatures (e.g. E-6 temps). Don't know about lubrication other than making sure the gears/cogs all spin freely. Sometimes old bath water and/or chemicals make their way onto the shafts of these and they get sticky. I sometimes wonder about the red seals on the tank tops and whether or not they get sticky with age, maybe less flexible and therefore provided more resistence (???). Good luck, hopefully someone has a better answer for this. (I've assumed your using the lift with this).

Cristiano Abreu
13-Jun-2008, 02:16
Cristiano-
Mine's the same way, seems to get sluggish quicker when processing at warmer temperatures (e.g. E-6 temps). Don't know about lubrication other than making sure the gears/cogs all spin freely. Sometimes old bath water and/or chemicals make their way onto the shafts of these and they get sticky. I sometimes wonder about the red seals on the tank tops and whether or not they get sticky with age, maybe less flexible and therefore provided more resistence (???). Good luck, hopefully someone has a better answer for this. (I've assumed your using the lift with this).

Hi Paul,
thanks for the input. Yea, I started to notice also this problem when I processed my 2nd batch of E-6. I've injected a few drops of oil in the shaft and It went well a few times with B&W, but now the problem has arose again. That's why I'm considering the option of taking apart the motor casing and do some greasy job to see If I can solve the problem... by the way, I'm a tribologist so solving friction problems is in my blood :)
I'm using the lift also. This weekend I'm going to have a go and see if its possible to lubricate the shaft.

Robert A. Zeichner
13-Jun-2008, 04:01
Someone once mentioned that the motor in the Jobo is actually a Mercedes Benz wiper motor. If upon dismantling the unit to the point of actually seeing the motor assembly, perhaps you could search for identification and if that is true, call a local Benz dealer for advice?

Robert Ruderman
13-Jun-2008, 12:25
On a similar topic concerning the Jobo motors... How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish? Is there some reference that indicates a rotation speed of 4 (for example) should revolve a drum X times in one-direction in Y seconds? I guess I am looking to see if there is a slow degradation of performance...

Thanks,
Robert

Cristiano Abreu
14-Jun-2008, 02:10
Someone once mentioned that the motor in the Jobo is actually a Mercedes Benz wiper motor. If upon dismantling the unit to the point of actually seeing the motor assembly, perhaps you could search for identification and if that is true, call a local Benz dealer for advice?

Mercedes Benz wiper motor :) I'll check that thanks.

Cristiano Abreu
14-Jun-2008, 02:13
How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish?

Hi Robert,
Easy, the loss in performance is readily observable. In my case, the rotation suffers a considerable reduction to point that it almost seems to stop.

Paul_Wainwright
15-Jun-2009, 13:55
I had the same problem a few years ago... I learned that Jobo actually sold a lubrication kit for the processor. I bought one - it is essentially a tube of greese that fits onto a lubrication point near the shaft on the lift.

I did 2 things to solve the problem:

1. I lubricated the shaft, and
2. I set the ballance wheels under the drum to be in about the middle of the drum, so that no weight was on the cog end of the drum.

No problems since then.

ic-racer
15-Jun-2009, 14:06
On a similar topic concerning the Jobo motors... How do we know when the motors are starting to get sluggish? Is there some reference that indicates a rotation speed of 4 (for example) should revolve a drum X times in one-direction in Y seconds? I guess I am looking to see if there is a slow degradation of performance...

Thanks,
Robert

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/jq/jq9904.htm#FA994

Tom Keenan
16-Jun-2009, 18:54
Be sure that the lid of the expert drum is seated PERFECTLY. If it is out of line even in the slightest, it will cause the symptoms that you are experiencing.
Tom Keenan

John Powers
17-Jun-2009, 08:16
Mercedes Benz wiper motor :) I'll check that thanks.

There is another rumor going about that it is a BMW wiper motor. Of course both manufacturers could buy the same motor from the same vendor. If you determine what model MB and/or BMW, they are plentiful enough that you could search out donors in junk yards much cheaper than buying new. Neither MB nor BMW are known for cheap parts pricing.

The above mentioned lubrication kit (kits, there are two different kits) and balancing act have been incorporated in keeping my CPP-2 running with 8x10 Expert drum and 7x17 in connected 2500 series tanks. I can’t say if these have actually improved things, but they have been part of a process that is working well for me.

John

Peter De Smidt
17-Jun-2009, 09:54
Is Omega still distributing Jobo equipment? If so, try giving them a call. Otherwise you could contact Jobo directly. I really miss hearing from Ken Owen, who worked for Jobo-USA. He used to regularly, clearly and patiently answer Jobo questions on rec.photo.darkroom.

Greg Blank
20-Jun-2009, 06:25
Yes, Omega still distributes Jobo. New Processors are no longer available. I do refurbish them however. 800-777-6634 x 3015

On the West Coast people might contact Dave Smith at Electromechanical Services.

The problem with slipping has alot of aspects:

If the motor has a slotted screw attaching the cog the screw does not thread directly into the metal shaft, instead a compression bushing holds it in place. Newer motors have a hexagonal allen bolt and thread directly into the metal shaft.

Making sure there is no slipping involves the following:

That the screw holding the cog is tight.

That the motor has enough torque if the scew is tight- meaning can you stop the rotation when the motor is turning full speed by grabing it breifly. If you can stop the motor its not powerful enough for turning Expert drums....and not powerful for a host of reasons, sometimes other than simply the motor. The straight shaft-slotted screw motors were replaced in the overall design of the processor when Expert drums were introduced, about 1991- for this reason.

I think the motors that are sold by Mercedes and BMW are different enough not to be usable. The Motors in the Jobo most likely specifically made by the motor making company with specific specifications, like the shaft-spindel and exact bolt positions etc-voltage and torque . So I doubt its an easy find. I have taken one of the old motors apart and cleaned the brushes and it can increase torque....its not an easy fix and not gaurenteed to fix the slipping.

Greg

Is Omega still distributing Jobo equipment? If so, try giving them a call. Otherwise you could contact Jobo directly. I really miss hearing from Ken Owen, who worked for Jobo-USA. He used to regularly, clearly and patiently answer Jobo questions on rec.photo.darkroom.

Jim Noel
20-Jun-2009, 14:28
Several years ago I took the motor to an electrical motor repair shop intending to have it rewound. Instead they cleaned it, cleaned up the commutator and installed brushes in a matter of 20-30 minutes. Cost was less than $10.
I am about ready to take my current motor to them as it has difficulty turning an expert drum one direction. The other direction is no problem.

Greg Blank
21-Jun-2009, 05:45
If its just slow in one direction, most likely not the motor. Most likely not the motor circuitry. Most likely the transfer gear is worn part JP95200. Omega sell two for approx $29.00

Several years ago I took the motor to an electrical motor repair shop intending to have it rewound. Instead they cleaned it, cleaned up the commutator and installed brushes in a matter of 20-30 minutes. Cost was less than $10.
I am about ready to take my current motor to them as it has difficulty turning an expert drum one direction. The other direction is no problem.

Greg Blank
21-Jun-2009, 05:48
One more, Expert drums do not need two directional rotation. Two directional rotation is also harder on the motor circuit....for an older straight shaft motor- specifically its circuit the stress will eventually cause a fatal malfunction.