PDA

View Full Version : Questions about an 8x10 zone vi enlarger

cowanw
3-Jun-2008, 18:28
I recently acquired an 8X10 Zone vi type 2 variable contrast enlarger with a compensatng enlarging timer and a variable contrast control.

I pretty much have it figured out; but two things have me unsure.

1. There is an L shaped lever just behind the bellows focusing knob which raises and lowers a panel behind the light box. I might guess that it was to lift the light box up to insert the negative holder, but it does not even connect to the light box.
Is this a feature for different light head other than the variable contrast head?

2. The lamp setting (min to max) on the compensating enlarging timer does not seem to do anything. Does the brightness dial on the variable contrast control (which does dim the light) over ride the light dial on the timer?
Thanks
Bill

Keith Pitman
3-Jun-2008, 19:45
1. If I understand your description correctly, that lever is to lift the head and insert a negative carrier when you are using the head for smaller formats.

2. I leave the brightness control on the timer on 10, and the brightness control on the VC head control in the middle of the dial.

cowanw
4-Jun-2008, 05:09
Thanks. I suppose I will leave the timer brightness on max too. It is just that turning it does not do anything to the brightness. turning the vc head control does as you say.
Regards
Bill

Nicholas F. Jones
4-Jun-2008, 12:37
1. Evidently you have the 8x10 head. The lever you describe is the lifter arm for the 5x7 head. As you correctly guess, its purpose is to lift a head in order to insert a film carrier, but it's not the 8x10 head or the 8x10 carrier. With the 8x10 set-up, the 5x7 lifter arm is not engaged. (Both heads and film carriers were available with the enlarger when I purchased my Zone VI from Calumet).

2. My Zone VI does not have the compensating enlarging timer, so I can't help you with your second uncertainty.

cowanw
4-Jun-2008, 13:34
Thanks Muchly. Nicholas and Keith
Now to have fun thinking in blue and green instead of magenta and yellow.

Regards
Bill