PDA

View Full Version : Which pen is best for writing on film edge?

greyspecks
3-Jun-2008, 09:09
Apparently the discontinued Rapidoliner range pens were suitable to mark the date outside the image area.
Anyone got any idea's on a replacement?

cyrus
3-Jun-2008, 09:39
I personally use a Speedball ink pen dipped in B&W spotting dye.

Pat Kearns
3-Jun-2008, 10:01
Sharpie fine point.

Bruce Barlow
3-Jun-2008, 10:03
I use Staedtler drafting pens - I found them in a 4-pack at Staples for about $10. They are different widths, I prefer the .1 and .3 sizes.

I have found even a Sharpie Fine Point to be too fat.

E. von Hoegh
3-Jun-2008, 10:20
Staedtler pigment liner.5mm.

I write all the pertinent data on the margin of 8x10 with one.

I used to have some Sanford fineline permanent markers that were just as good if not better (the ink seemed to bond into the film base) but they are not available anymore.

Bob Salomon
3-Jun-2008, 10:35
The Kaiser fine line permanent CD markers work well for this. Sold by camera stores and library supply catalogs.

Mark Woods
3-Jun-2008, 17:13
Pigma Micron 03 with Red Ink.

nolindan
3-Jun-2008, 17:43
I use "Ultra Fine Point" Sharpie markers. http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpie_Ultra_Fine_Point_Permanent_Marker.html
The marks can be wiped off with PEC-12 film cleaner. http://www.photosol.com/pec12.htm

Louie Powell
3-Jun-2008, 17:51
Straedler "Pigment Liners" are convenient and work well. I found a set of four (different line weights) at a "big box" office supply store.

Koh-in-Noor "Rapidograph" technical fountain pens with India ink work exceptionally well, but are expensive and require frequent cleaning to keep the ink flowing.

Sanford Sharpies work, but the ink is not totally transparent, so the writing appears faint in contact prints.

Keith Pitman
3-Jun-2008, 20:00
I've been using the finest point "gel" pen I could find. They are marked "archival," whatever that means.

Kirk Gittings
3-Jun-2008, 20:53
Koh-in-Noor "Rapidograph" technical fountain pens with India ink work exceptionally well, but are expensive and require frequent cleaning to keep the ink flowing.

This is what HABS/HAER requires. I once did a submission with something else and they rejected it. To this day I don't know how they knew.

John Bowen
4-Jun-2008, 01:38
I use Staedtler drafting pens - I found them in a 4-pack at Staples for about $10. They are different widths, I prefer the .1 and .3 sizes.

I have found even a Sharpie Fine Point to be too fat.

ditto

Louie Powell
4-Jun-2008, 04:13
I've been using the finest point "gel" pen I could find. They are marked "archival," whatever that means.

That means the outfit that sells you the pen permanently keeps your money.

Bill Kumpf
4-Jun-2008, 15:31
Try your local Scrap Book Store. They should have pens like the "American Craft" Precision Pen. It is acid free, fade proof, waterproof, and non-bleeding. Tip sizes go from 0.5 to 0.1 . Plus they come in colors. If you want a pigment ink try the "American Craft" Slick Writer pen or the Vellum Writer for slicker surfaces.

My wife locks hers up when I am in her store. They also will have various paper trimmers, centering rulers and other tools.

And "archival" is a good thing............

Robbie Shymanski
4-Jun-2008, 16:06
This is what HABS/HAER requires. I once did a submission with something else and they rejected it. To this day I don't know how they knew.

Kirk, technical pens actually scratch the surface. This is the case with rapidiographs. Also, they require the use of waterproof drafting ink. Other inks are easily soluble with solvents like xylene. Jack Boucher says they have a bunch of quick & dirty tests they use for measuring archival standards. I am sure they have one for inking. I'll ask when I next see him.

As for the use of Sharpies, they have absolutely no permanence. I made the mistake of signing a print with a fine print Sharpie, it was near a window and faded in less than a week.

Kirk Keyes
4-Jun-2008, 16:28
Staedtler pigment liner.5mm.

I use these as well. John Sexton suggested them to me when I asked which pen he was using to write info on his negs.