PDA

View Full Version : Time to Buy - Epson V700 V750 or other for 8x10?

mccormickstudio
3-Jun-2008, 07:48
I've read most of the previous posts about scanning 8x10 and the issues with newton rings. Thanks for all of the knowledge offered by experienced scanners.

I have been shooting 8x10 color negative film and will be scanning to produce enlargements up to 40x50". I had hoped to spend about $500 on a scanner, but I could probably go up to about $800. I'm looking for the MOST SIMPLE method to produce sharp hi-res scans with no newton ring issues.

Should I:
1 - get the V700 and a piece of ANR glass and try my luck?
2 - get the v750 and plan to wet mount?
3 - look for a drum scanner on ebay or another prosumer scanner option?

One more question - after wet mounting, do you just hang you film to dry again? Is the wet mount on the emulsion or film side?

Thanks, Craig

Kirk Gittings
3-Jun-2008, 08:27
Craig, you are not going to find a decent used drum or pro flatbed scanner in that price range unless you got incredibly lucky and the learning curve is steep. You can wet scan on either the 700 or 750 its just that the 750 comes with the mounting thing. I can't remember for sure but it doesn't look like it is for 8x10. I don't do 8x10, but I don't think you need it anyway , on either machine you can use the film guide and mount directly on the glass. You will need mounting fluid and a acetates though which can be gotten through Aztec or Freestyle, I believe.

Walter Calahan
3-Jun-2008, 08:38
The wet mount adaptor for the V750 is only good for up to 5x7. 8x10 must be placed directly on the scanner for wet scans (read messy).

I shoot color neg 8x10, too. I scan it on my V750 using an anti-newton ring glass plate. This is not a perfect solution because from time to time I still get small newton rings. They are easily removed if you know how in Photoshop.

Though I haven't tried to make a scan from an 8x10 color neg for my Epson 9600 printer, I have made 40x50" prints. My experience is from a good viewing distance away from your 40x50" print the image will look acceptable, but don't get too close.

My suggestion is to have your negs professionally scanned for 40x50" prints, if you find the home-made quality is lacking once you've learn to use a flat bed scanner.

You will not find a good drum scanner for your price range unless you are extremely lucky.

Best.

mccormickstudio
3-Jun-2008, 09:18
Thanks Kirk & Walter. On a previous post someone mentioned sealing the edge of the platen glass (with clear silicone, I assume) for 8x10 wet scanning. Does anyone know if the V750 is already sealed?

It sounds like the additional ANR glass is the best way to go for either the V700 or V750. Perhaps I'll try 24x30 or 32x40 with the Epson and have the best images scanned at a lab.

So is the additional software, "high-pass optics," and additional tray worth the extra $200?

Thanks, Craig

Walter Calahan
3-Jun-2008, 09:31
Two sources for ANR plates:

http://www.betterscanning.com/

http://fpointinc.com/glass.htm

Don't know if the V750 is sealed. Why not contact Epson directly?