PDA

View Full Version : Vista vs V700 scanner

ignatiusjk
31-May-2008, 15:12
I was told not to get a Epson V700 scanner if your computer uses "Vista " have any of you heard anything about this? I was looking ot get a V700 scanner real soon.If my computer does use Visat (which I think it does) then what. I can't afford a new computer I just got the one I have.

Walter Calahan
31-May-2008, 15:23
Epson's web site lists Vista as a compatible operating system.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=66172&prodoid=63056499&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

The real question is Vista compatible with anything. HA!

Sorry for your troubles.

Kuzano
31-May-2008, 15:32
Have not heard that, but not surprising. You really shouldn't try to run any other software with Vista. It uses all the RAM in your computer just to support the OS. Vista computers should be reserved for checking eMail and buying items on line. The good thing about using Vista to buy on-line merchandise, is that by the time you get to the checkout screen and offer up a credit card number, you'll already be entering the "buyers remorse" stage of the purchase and cancel the order. Vista is a good way to save money on the internet.

"Soon to be replaced (two years) by Windows 7, which will be even more touchy-feely"

Brian Ellis
31-May-2008, 19:21
My wife's computer has Vista. I put CS2 on it. It works fine with that program and every other program she uses. I wouldn't worry about using a V700 with VISTA.

Filmnut
31-May-2008, 19:52
I have one of the older Epson scanners, that I used to run on a PC with Millenium OS, was pretty flaky, and ended up giving up, and I just used the scanner on a MAC.
I recently got a new PC, running Vista, and although I have heard many bad things about it (Vista), I downloaded the update for my scanner from the Epson website and now it works very well. Better than on the MAC now!
I would make sure that Epson properly supports the scanner on Vista, before making the purchase.
Keith

Aender Brepsom
18-Sep-2008, 09:59
Kind of veeeeeeery late answer, but I do use the V700 on Vista without the slightest problem.

Kirk Fry
18-Sep-2008, 23:36
Nothing wrong with Vista that a very fast Dual Core2 processor and 4 Gigs of memory won't cure. K

Brian_A
19-Sep-2008, 08:54
I've used my V750 on my slow XP system and on my QuadCore Vista system and both work just fine.

C. D. Keth
21-Sep-2008, 20:47
Nothing wrong with Vista that a very fast Dual Core2 processor and 4 Gigs of memory won't cure. K

Nothing wrong with vista that kicking the damned thing into next week and buying a mac won't cure. ;)

Bjorn Nilsson
22-Sep-2008, 03:24
If you're using the scanner for other work, such as copying etc. the copy utility (software) prepacked with the V700 isn't compatible with Vista. But you can download an update which is compatible.
The tricky thing about this in my case was that the Vista compatible update wasn't listed in the V700/750 section, but in the V300 section. Anyhow, with the aid of the support people at Epson who sent me a direct link to the software, I got that part working too. (All of this happended more than a year ago, but these small "details" are sometimes never corrected at the websites.)

//Björn

roger
22-Sep-2008, 19:53
I recently got a Core 2 Quad machine with Vista and my scanner is an Epson V700. I am enthusiastic about all of them. I run the scanner using SilverFast and I fluid mount my 8x10 negatives, but I use the scanner's holders for 4x5 and 120. I think the bugs have been worked out of Vista. I have had no problems. I also use Macs and I can't recognize any functional difference between the two computer systems (IBM or Mac) other than the Mac sometimes has difficulty openning some file types that people send me by email.

Roger

W K Longcor
22-Sep-2008, 20:20
Seems like most of the people having problems with Vista are trying to use it on the wrong computer. Vista is BIG . I bought a new computer a year ago -- dual core ( the guy in the store said vista = dual core or you have problems -- It just does NOT work on an old pentium 4 machine without bogging down everything. My experiences with Vista have all been good. Most up to date equipment will have downloadable drivers, etc. for Vista.

Kuzano
23-Sep-2008, 10:54
Seems like most of the people having problems with Vista are trying to use it on the wrong computer. Vista is BIG . I bought a new computer a year ago -- dual core ( the guy in the store said vista = dual core or you have problems -- It just does NOT work on an old pentium 4 machine without bogging down everything. My experiences with Vista have all been good. Most up to date equipment will have downloadable drivers, etc. for Vista.

I have it from some tech-heads (moreso than me) that part of the delay in releasing Vista was in Microsoft negotiating with Intel to get the Duo-Core processor instruction sets to high levels of compatibility with Vista. Vista was not intended to be a serious performer on P4 and other legacy hardware.

In my computer consulting the Issues with Vista have largely been on computers running P4 or the slower Mh duo-cores and/or running less than 2 Gb of RAM. Upgrading P4 computers to Vista is risky and the system will run slow, even with 2Gb RAM.

If you must run Vista (Why go there?), then the ideal setup is a dual or quad core in the higher numbers, 3 GB of RAM (The 32 bit Vista systems do not address more than 3 GB), The lowest version of Vista (Home) as all the others are just more code, and a 7200 or 10,000 RPM hard drive.

And keep in mind that development has largely been diverted to the replacement for VISTA. Other than patching VISTA, very little future development is anticipated. Good estimates are 18 month to 2 years, plus the MS Fudge Factor.

All my computers are back on XP and I can't even find my VISTA disks. I don't use the system, and have cut off all consulting on VISTA.

Bobf
24-Sep-2008, 05:49
Vista runs happily on my new Compaq laptop with a Celeron and 2G ram. Do not believe what people in shops tell you about computers (or cameras) - their job is to sell you new ones.

Having said that, no, I would not upgrade an XP machine to Vista in a business environment. There is no point and it will run slower and you may have problems finding drivers. Given the average 3-year life of a business PC, there is little point upgrading the OS: just get the latest version when you obtain a new PC.

For a home PC, you have the option, but I would not bother myself, especially as Vista is much more expensive than previous versions of Windows in retail packages. I run XP and W2k in virtual machines on a Core2-Duo machine with Vista as the primary OS with 3GB of RAM. After nearly a year, no problems to report.

There is nothing new about MS producing a "new" OS every three years: they have been doing that since day one. Indeed, the longer wait for Vista was the exception here, largely due to resources being diverted to XP's SP2 (which despite its name was really a major re-write of large chunks of the OS). Much was left out of Vista because of that which we can expect to see appear in Vista Mk2. Microsoft say 2009 but we all know that outside the spacetime distortions of microsoft-space that means late 2010 at the earliest...