PDA

View Full Version : The Phillips Legacy

Richard K.
25-May-2008, 11:45
Dick Phillips is now in his 70s (I think), travels and photographs a lot, and is generally enjoying life. My question is: has anyone ever seriously approached him to continue his legacy of producing cameras with the ultimate combination of light weight and rigidity? Identical to the current construction and appearance. I'm pretty sure he would give his imprimatur if the superb quality of construction and the respect for integrity in customer service were maintained. Dick himself is a sweet, principled, man of vision and integrity and a living testament that nice guys don't have to finish last in what could be a brutal business. Anyway, wouldn't it be nice to be able to order PHILLIPS whole-plate, 8x20, 14x17. etc. I hope that somebody with venture capital approaches Dick and slowly (or quickly) takes up from where Dick has left off. I'm pretty sure that Dick would give out all the "secrets" of construction and materials to the right person of integrity. Heck, he's even happy to see new emerging international manufacturers copy his cameras and carry on his vision. Dick is a wonderful human being and a great innovator. His cameras deserve to continue to be produced in ALL formats! Thanks for listening! :)

PS Anyone know how many 14x17s Dick produced and where they are now (I think that Nicholas Nixon had but sold two?)? How many *12x20s? Has he ever made a 5x7 or 8x20?
I also think that VC or B&W should do an EXTENDED article on him!

* IIRC,these had the ingenious design of a swing out rectangular perimeter frame to hold the large sheet of film snugly to the metal septum?

Bruce Watson
25-May-2008, 12:58
My question is: has anyone ever seriously approached him to continue his legacy of producing cameras with the ultimate combination of light weight and rigidity?

I believe that's what Richard Ritter (http://www.lg4mat.net/ulf.html) is doing. He's not making Phillips designs, he's making his own designs. But they are more modern designs using materials that Phillips didn't have available when he was in his camera making prime. And Ritter's goal appears to be just as you state -- the ultimate combination of light weight and rigidity.

Richard K.
25-May-2008, 14:00
Good to know!!