PDA

View Full Version : efke positive paper won't fit 5x7 holders

enochRoot
24-May-2008, 20:04
i purchased some efke positive paper to try out in 5x7 sheet size. the paper is 177mm x 127mm (pretty close to 5x7 exactly). the problem is that it won't fit in the holder. the 5x7 sheet film i have is slightly smaller (175mm x 125mm), and fits the holders perfectly. what gives? they aren't 13x18 holders. should the paper be the slightly smaller size that my sheet film is? cutting it down' doesn't seem like something i'd be able to easily do. it's the short width that will not fit. i can get it in there, but the paper is quite buckled and warped.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks!

vinny
24-May-2008, 20:09
Cutting it down is your only option unless you've got a film holder stretcher! You can use a safelight so it won't be too bad. The stuff is prone to crinkle damage in my experience with loading, at least the fiber stuff is. I couldn't load the 8x10 in my old wooden holders so i had to put it in the Fidelity's.
vinny

enochRoot
24-May-2008, 20:13
well crap.

i have plastic fidelitys, and i do have the fiber-based paper. i guess it won't be too bad under a safe light. i know it says that's alright, but i figured keeping things in total darkness would be safer. at this point, i guess i have no choice.

or maybe i'll try and invent a film holder stretcher!! ;)

is this a common issue with this paper?

jnantz
24-May-2008, 20:16
i purchased some efke positive paper to try out in 5x7 sheet size. the paper is dead on at 178mm x 127mm. the problem is that it won't fit in the holder. the 5x7 sheet film i have is slightly smaller (175mm x 125mm), and fits the holders perfectly. what gives? they aren't 13x18 holders. should the paper be the slightly smaller size that my sheet film is? cutting it down' doesn't seem like something i'd be able to easily do.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks!

film is smaller than 5x7 ...
the paper needs to be trimmed down about about 1/16" ...
you can use a regular paper cutter it doesn't need to be fancy :)

your film/paper needs to be smaller because
way back when ... dry plates were 5x7 .. when film
came into vogue, makers made those little sheaths to convert plate holders
for film use. the film had to be made smaller to fit into the sheaths ...
plates were used even into the 20th C, and manufacturers never bothered to
change the size of the film. it was already a known quanitity that film
was a bit smaller than the "named size", and even though some people were buying
film holders, there was an overlap with some people still shooting plates and film in
the plate holders ...

have fun

john

enochRoot
24-May-2008, 20:33
thanks for the info john...interesting history! convoluted...but interesting :)

i don't even have a paper trimmer as i normally use exacto/straight edge/self healing mat for my cutting needs (goes back to design school). i'll have to go pick one up. do i need to worry about the little plastic thing that holds the paper down on the trimmer scuffing the emulsion?

erie patsellis
24-May-2008, 21:28
Why not just use the straight edge and Xacto (tm)

erie

enochRoot
24-May-2008, 21:35
my bathroom serves as my darkroom, and it's quite small. i would think it would be a lot easier to use a small paper cutter.

robert fallis
24-May-2008, 23:11
I use a paper cuter for both paper and film the roller ones are best, the cut a lot better

bob