PDA

View Full Version : Good book on scanning and printing?????

ignatiusjk
23-May-2008, 18:05
Is there a good book on the how to's of scanning and printing? I am just getting started with scanning and the terminology is making me dizzy. I need a good how to book or one of those "scanning for dummies" book.

Walter Calahan
23-May-2008, 19:47
Scanning makes all of us fuzzy. HA!

The secret for me is to turn as much of the automation in scanning software OFF. Get as many digits possible, and then do the heavy lifting in Photoshop.

That said, what scanning software are you using? That's the important starting point in the conversation.

Printing is a whole other kettle of fish. Much better books available on printing then scanning in my opinion.

First, you are smarter than all the hardware and software out there. You are not the dummy, the technology is. It's up to you to tell the technology what YOU want it to do.

So tell us more where you are beginning with all this stuff.

D. Bryant
23-May-2008, 20:27
Is there a good book on the how to's of scanning and printing? I am just getting started with scanning and the terminology is making me dizzy. I need a good how to book or one of those "scanning for dummies" book.
Try starting here with Wayne Fulton's, "A Few Scanning Tips".

http://www.scantips.com/

This online book is a bit long in the tooth but it will get you started.

Don Bryant

ignatiusjk
24-May-2008, 14:57
When I get the scanner BELIEVE ME I will let you know. When I get up and running I will try (key word try) to show you some of my shots.

zeissikon
2-Jun-2008, 12:12
Hello, years ago I got myself the 2nd edition of Real World Scanning (http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Scanning-Halftones-3rd/dp/0321241320/) and some weeks ago finished it. The authors give you a rather detailed understanding about the technical scanning process, which a newbie might like to know. However I am scanning with Silverfast since years and could not improve my results using this book. If you have Silverfast software available, their scanning guide might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.
zi