PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F2 - Graflex 23 RFH - Which W/A lens suited for the 'coverage' task

quepsi83
22-May-2008, 11:34
Hello all. Based on the above configuration, which focal length range of lenses would yield the typical - and maybe acceptable - coverage (view) for 6x9? For instance, I sacrificed a roll of 120 film passing it through the RFH... a) verifying that 8 shots were created, b) the spacing between shots were normal and c) the RFH functioned properly.

With the marked-off undeveloped roll in hand, I overlayed a 4x5 tranny that was shot with a 90mm S/A. Clearly, I would need to be MUCH FURTHER BACK in order to capture the same 'view'. Thus... my question.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I am also interested in finding out which of the older lenses (AKA: lower cost???) could be written to this list.

Regards,

Keith

Joanna Carter
22-May-2008, 12:01
I think you'll find that the equivalent lens for 6x9 is around 65mm

IanG
22-May-2008, 12:47
Definitely a 65mm, that's a lens that will also just cover 5x4. I use my 65mm SA for B&W on 5x4, but have in the past used it extensively with a 6x9 RF back on my camera for E^ as well as B&W.

Ian

Ron Marshall
22-May-2008, 12:50
As Joanna stated, a 65 would be the equivalent.

Something like this would do it for you:

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=LF060090011840&brandcategoryname=Large%20Format&Mode=&item=0&ActivateTOC2=&ID=58&BC=LF&BCC=7&CC=6&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Dan Fromm
22-May-2008, 13:32
Keith, the 65/8 SA that Ron suggested will do the job very well and will allow considerable movements on 6x9 since it just covers 4x5. If budget is a consideration, you might want to look for a 65/8 Ilex (very much like the equivalent SA but designed and made in Rochester). I use one, like it very much. A (relative) cheapie made to cover 6x9 with no movements would cost less. Easily found cheapies include 65/6.8 Raptar/Optar, 65/6.8 Angulon, and 65/8 "Hamburg." This last was, I think, sold in the US by Spiratone. FWIW, I've had a 65/6.8 Raptar and hated it. Not sure whether the problem was the lens' design or Wolly QC.

A 58/5.6 Grandagon will cover a little more.

There's also a 63 (or is it 64?)/6.5 Cooke Ser. VIIb that was mainly sold fitted to Envoy 2x3 cameras. These turn up from time to time on ebay.co.uk, may cost more than you want to spend.

quepsi83
22-May-2008, 16:02
Dan, Ron, Ian and Joanna... I can't thank you enough for sharing your knowledge base and being so quick with solutions. Dan. I especially appreciate the 'list' you decided to share with the group as well.

Kindest regards,

Keith

BOB BERESFORD
15-Jun-2008, 07:59
That's a great use of a dead roll of film and you can re-use it likewise. just make small marks in different places each time,
For more fun - try the Nikon 65 F 4....very bright.
Or to save cash - get a mamiya Press 65 mm lens, in its Helicoid mount....make a large appropriate hole in a lensboard...insert with contact cement..or even epoxy if you're feeling permanent and don't want to switch back to the mamiya Press later - handy things.
now you've got a lens that will double focus !
Or...track down the little Schneider 65 mm bubble lens that would turn up on baby technikas. The weight saving is incredible.

BOB BERESFORD
15-Jun-2008, 08:03
By the way...there were small Super Angulon 65 and 58 lenses - even 47 mm ! - badged Technika and they are 6 x 9 lenses. Even before Multi coating appeared. All sharp, of course.