PDA

View Full Version : Scanner Odyssee

Juergen Cullmann
21-May-2008, 13:38
A few weeks ago I started this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34939

I was not able to get the Eversmart Pro scanner working. After a few days of trying out, I found out that there was a problem with the scanner scsi board. Thanks to an agreement with the seller, I could return the scanner without paying a cent.

Luckily I found a Scitex Eversmart Supreme in Switzerland in good working condition. I was allowed to test the scanner in the sellers office. The scanner passed all installation tests. Included was the original Eversmart scansoftware 2.5.1, all masks and holders, the calibrationstrip and 5 spare bulbs.

I payed 1250 Euro for the whole package, had to drive 450 km to Switzerland and had a despute with the german customs officer (luckily with a happy end).

Now I am diving into the scannersoftware to learn how to make the best scans possible.

Two Questions:
1. The scannertray (glas) is anti-reflecitve.
Is the glas etched? Then I could use all kind of fluids e.g. my drumcleaning fluid from SDS. Or is the glas coated? In this case the cleaning fluid might damage the coating?

2. I have the original Supreme. Does this have the same specifications as the Supreme II? If I decide to buy the firewire upgrade (Scsi-Firewire adaptor and oxygen software), does this mean that my supreme has the same abilities as a supreme
II? Are there other differences (resolution, Dmax)?

I want to thank all of you who helped me with the Eversmart Pro, especially Sandy King who gave me valuable tipps and shared his knowledes about this scanner.

Jürgen

Ben Hopson
21-May-2008, 16:51
Juergen, Congratulations on the purchase of the Eversmart Supreme as well as being able to return the Pro without taking a loss. I also recently acquired an Eversmart Supreme and am in the early learning stages so I will wait for some veteran Eversmart users to answer your questions. Did your scanner come with the Oil Mounting Station or will you fluid mount directly on the scanner glass? The glass is anti newton glass, but I am not sure if it is coated or etched.

Good luck,

Ben

sanking
28-May-2008, 13:37
A few weeks ago I started this thread:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34939

I was not able to get the Eversmart Pro scanner working. After a few days of trying out, I found out that there was a problem with the scanner scsi board. Thanks to an agreement with the seller, I could return the scanner without paying a cent.

Luckily I found a Scitex Eversmart Supreme in Switzerland in good working condition. I was allowed to test the scanner in the sellers office. The scanner passed all installation tests. Included was the original Eversmart scansoftware 2.5.1, all masks and holders, the calibrationstrip and 5 spare bulbs.

I payed 1250 Euro for the whole package, had to drive 450 km to Switzerland and had a despute with the german customs officer (luckily with a happy end).

Now I am diving into the scannersoftware to learn how to make the best scans possible.

Two Questions:
1. The scannertray (glas) is anti-reflecitve.
Is the glas etched? Then I could use all kind of fluids e.g. my drumcleaning fluid from SDS. Or is the glas coated? In this case the cleaning fluid might damage the coating?

2. I have the original Supreme. Does this have the same specifications as the Supreme II? If I decide to buy the firewire upgrade (Scsi-Firewire adaptor and oxygen software), does this mean that my supreme has the same abilities as a supreme
II? Are there other differences (resolution, Dmax)?

I want to thank all of you who helped me with the Eversmart Pro, especially Sandy King who gave me valuable tipps and shared his knowledes about this scanner.

Jürgen

The original glass with EverSmart scanners is anti-newton, but it is coated, not etched. For that reason I would not use it on regular basis with fluid mounting as you risk damage from the solvent fluids and from clean-up.

The latest EverSmart Supreme II is capable of faster production scanning, but dpi is about the same as for the original Supreme. My understanding is that you can run some of the earlier versions of oXYgen with the EverSmart Supreme with the SCSI connection. The latest versions of oXYgen may require Firewire.

Sandy King

philoumg
9-Jun-2008, 01:14
Hi,

First you find your supreme at very good price :)

If you have eversmart pro you can use the glass of it for wet mounting.
Firewire permit access to last version of oxygen 2.4 2.5 2.6.

If you have 2.5 it worth money to buy firewire kit (you have 16bit scanning and DT scanning).
So you can try firewire scsi adapter like FR1SX (db50 male / firewire). But you need also change gender (db25 female / db25 female) and change gender (db50 female/db25 male).
It is the more simple i find :)
Total price is around 200€ (cheaper than kodak kit).
I wait for my last change gender (after i can tell you if it works).

So i have kodak kit (it is a microtech scsi/firewire adpater directly db25 female / firewire). Working but sometimes not :(.

Thanks
Philippe

philoumg
12-Jun-2008, 06:45
Hi,

Good news: firewire adapter FR1SX works with eversmart supreme (with 10.3.9 and Oxygen 2.4.1.2 for me).

Thanks
Philippe