PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference

ignatiusjk
20-May-2008, 15:55
What is the difference between the Epson V700 scanner and the V750 pro scanner? The price is like 300-400 dollars. Just curious as to what you get with the 750 verses the 700. i shoot 4x5 negs and trans,and B&W 4x5.

David Luttmann
20-May-2008, 16:24
Better software version and the fluid mount adaptor is included. Supposed, the 750scanner offers better resolution, but I found it to be the same as the 700.

Scott Knowles
20-May-2008, 19:13
My understanding is the V750 also comes with both Epson, which is the same for the V700, and Silverfast software. The Silverfast alone is $~400 priced separately. Otherwise you can check Epson's Website (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SupportIndex.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=-10244&infoType=Overview) for the specs.

ignatiusjk
26-May-2008, 18:00
What is "Silverfast software"? I didn't understand all of your post. Please explain further. Thanks.

Ron Marshall
26-May-2008, 18:20
What is "Silverfast software"? I didn't understand all of your post. Please explain further. Thanks.

Silverfast is software installed on your computer which allows you to control the scanner.

The Epson software will ship with both scanners, many feel that the Silverfast software is better than the Epson.

http://www.silverfast.com/

uniB
26-May-2008, 18:31
The main difference to the actual scanner itself is that it has a anti-reflection coating on the glass. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but I guess it must make some.

I only use Silverfast software, great stuff.

To get the best out of either scanner you really need a betterscanning film mount, they make a big difference.

neil poulsen
27-May-2008, 07:57
I believe the 750 also has "improved" optics. But, reviews I've seen indicate there's not that much difference between the two.

Here's a link to the review at photo-i. He reviews both scanners and provides an opinion as to whether the V750 is worth the extra.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

See the top-right of this page for the 750 review.

Paul Fitzgerald
29-May-2008, 20:46
neil,

Thanks for the link, helpful.

2 stupid questions:
why such flamable fluid to mount the film?
why not Photo Flow and distilled water.

Greg Lockrey
29-May-2008, 20:53
neil,

Thanks for the link, helpful.

2 stupid questions:
why such flamable fluid to mount the film?
why not Photo Flow and distilled water.

Photo Flow and distilled water will soften the emulsion because it does get it wet, where the flammable fluid doesn't actually make the emulsion wet but just suspends it to help hold it flat. At least that's my understanding of the process.

Paul Fitzgerald
29-May-2008, 21:24
OK, then why not baby oil, virgin olive oil or anti-freeze? I just don't see soaking negs with lighter fluid or paint thinner around electronic equipment in the house.

Greg Lockrey
29-May-2008, 21:35
OK, then why not baby oil, virgin olive oil or anti-freeze? I just don't see soaking negs with lighter fluid or paint thinner around electronic equipment in the house.

I heard that you could use baby oil, never tried it myself.

Robert Budding
30-May-2008, 03:57
Baby oil? You've got to clean the stuff off when you finish!
I just bought some Lumina scanning fluid, but I haven't tried it yet.

mrladewig
30-May-2008, 08:56

I think a couple things come into play. The mounting fluid essentially leaves no residue on the film, so no special cleaners are needed and you'll reduce risk of damaging the film. As pointed out about other fluids, it doesn't wet the film, just holds it flat.

It does seem to be nasty stuff though.