printer that I use with an Ink Republic cis. Obviously, the 9600 is a
different kettle of fish. Is there anything that I should look for when
I drive over, or is there anything in particular that I should know
about the 9600?

Regards,
Peter

Marco Annaratone
19-May-2008, 20:07
There are counters that show the state of wear and tear of (expensive to replace) parts of the printer. Download the printer guide (http://ftp.epson.com/pdf/pro76u/pro76uu1.pdf). Read it carefully and write down things you want to check and tests you want to carry out. More specifically, page 131 shows you how to check the status of motors and other wearable parts. Their health condition does influence the final price significantly.

Incidentally, I would never have such a printer shipped to me. I would pick it up myself. Call me paranoid.

I bought a used 7600 and I am delighted with it.

Cheers!

Peter De Smidt
19-May-2008, 20:46
Hi Marco, thank you for the info. I'll certainly read the printer guide. The printer is about 1 hours drive away, and I do have a van big enough to carry it.

Greg Lockrey
19-May-2008, 21:36
Remember to lock down the head when you transport it. Originally there was a locking devise when the printer was shipped. Have the seller show you a test strip too.

Joanna Carter
19-May-2008, 23:59
Don't forget that the 9600 is "old" technology in that it does not have the same K3 inks, so getting the same smoothness of B&W tones will not be so easy.

Jim Becia
20-May-2008, 04:58
Peter,

I have been using a 9600 for about 5 to 6 years now. I have used about 13730 ml of ink so far (that's about 62 of the 220 ml cartridges). Have the seller run a head check for you and it will tell you how much ink has been used over its lifetime. About two years ago I needed to get it serviced due to normal use. The service was about $450 and now the printer is good to go for another 3 or 4 years. (The service is performed in the Chicago area and I drove it down with no problem in transporting it.)

Personally, the 9600 has been the best investment for me and paid for itself so many times over. The results are wonderful. As a matter of fact, after getting a 3800 and using it on some of my smaller sizes, I actually prefer the look and results from my 9600. I use it mainly for color work, but do use it for b&w once in a while with good results.

I see you are from the Fond du Lac area. On Friday morning I'm headed up to Sturgeon Bay for an art fair over the weekend. If you haven't seen any results from a 9600 I could possibly stop by and show you or you could stop by up in Sturgeon Bay to see some prints from the 9600.

I have been extremely pleased with my 9600. Jim

Walter Calahan
20-May-2008, 06:14
I bought a used 9600 to complement my 4000. Great machine. True it is not the latest technology, but then the latest technology will be obsolete someday too. Buy what you need for today.

Remember to have multiple people to carry it, and a large vehicle to transport it. This machine is LARGE.

Oh, and make sure you have room in your home, office, whatever, to keep it.

Peter De Smidt
20-May-2008, 06:32
Assuming that everything checks out, the seller is asking $1900. Is that a fair price? Does the ink quality really go down 6 months after opening? Anyone have experience with aftermarket ink cartridges?