PDA

View Full Version : LF Forum Print On Demand Book....Rebirth PDF

photographs42
14-May-2008, 20:08
The revised LF book is finally ready for review. A PDF can be seen at the following link:

http://www.jeromehawkins.com/LF_Book.htm

Please take a look! If you find errors please let me know.

A couple of people owe me new or revised images but except for that, this review is for checking to see if images, captions and spelling are correct. I have my first Art Fair of the year in Dallas Memorial Day weekend and I am so not ready, so I’m going to be very busy until then. Lets set a cut-off date of 6/1/08 for changes. After that date I will send it off to Blurb for a test printing.

What do you think?

Jerome

PS I should add that the PDF file is almost 14 MB so it takes a while to load. Also, the way Blurb produced the PDF is a little odd. The heavy black lines are the edges of the page and the page top and bottom align with the ends of the lines.

David Karp
14-May-2008, 20:56
Thanks for your efforts Jerome. I can't wait to see it in person.

Hugo Zhang
14-May-2008, 21:01
Jerome,

Thank you very much for your time and effort!!! I can't wait to see the book!

Ben Chase
14-May-2008, 21:41
coolness

r.e.
14-May-2008, 21:47
I just went through the .pdf.

I don't know whether opinions are invited, and I know that internet images don't show all, but I think that the work of the following photographers, listed in the order that they appear, stands out, and by a wide margin: Mark Sawyer, Ole Tjugen, Jochim Ahnfelt and maybe one of the photos by Craig Roberts.

Frank Petronio
14-May-2008, 22:05
Nice job -- but you should revise the copy and credits to reflect your significant contribution!

Struan Gray
14-May-2008, 23:42
Great job Jerome. Thanks for all your work to get this finished.

Ole Tjugen
15-May-2008, 00:26
I agree - a great job.

Definitely a book I want - and would want even if I hadn't contributed!

Don Boyd
15-May-2008, 06:37
Jerome, I think that I had sent in the Bear Wallow Maple (#9 on your earlier list) to replace the Emory Pass Maple (p15 in the current book version).

Thanks,

Don Boyd

rwyoung
15-May-2008, 06:42
Why the seeming random placement of blank pages in the PDF doc? Placeholders for replacement images?

photographs42
15-May-2008, 08:04
Don,
Bear Wallow Maple is in, Emory Pass Maple is out.
Jerome

photographs42
15-May-2008, 08:09
Nice job -- but you should revise the copy and credits to reflect your significant contribution!

Thanks, but I’m just the clean-up man. You did the bulk of the work by far.
Jerome

photographs42
15-May-2008, 08:12
Why the seeming random placement of blank pages in the PDF doc? Placeholders for replacement images?

The blank pages aren’t exactly random. Each person has two facing pages and some people only submitted one image.
Jerome

Frank Petronio
15-May-2008, 08:25
even pages are left hand

odds are right hand

If the software allowed the PDF to show spreads you'd understand

But I need to duck out -- it's Jerome's cat herding ball of wax now -- juggling 100 amateur photographers is no task for the faint of heart -- and he better damn well insert his name into the credits since he (still) has a lot of work into this.

rwyoung
15-May-2008, 09:07
Even left, odd right I understand, done my share of technical manual writing and editing. But the two pages per photographer bit seems off. At least Adobe Reader 8 with pages shown 2 up.

Also, no page numbers showing up except for the index. Does Blub auto number the pages or should they have appeared in the PDF?

Step 1 : download copy of proof PDF
Step 2 : open with Adobe Reader 8
Step 3 : from the View menu, select Page Display and Two-Up
Step 4 : use arrows at tool bar, page down key or clicking below the thumb on the vertical slider bar should move 2 pages at a time

First "page" pair looks good, blank on left, Publisher data on right
Second "page" pair look good, blank on left, Frank's intro on right
Third "page" pair, problem - Cyrus' text on left, blank on right
Fourth "page" pair, Sheldon on left, Mark S. on right
Fifth "page" pair, Mark S (image 2) on left, Ben C. on right and so on.

This may just be the PDF document barfing in the viewer or that the first page pair really isn't a pair but rather the left hand page was supposed to be the back side of the front cover.

Anyway, you asked for a proof and I'm reporting what Adobe Reading coughs up. No idea how Blub really handles the format.

Other than this weirdness in Adobe Reader and not having any color management running on this PC, looked pretty good. Hope it all goes well!

photographs42
15-May-2008, 09:12
Even left, odd right I understand, done my share of technical manual writing and editing. But the two pages per photographer bit seems off. At least Adobe Reader 8 with pages shown 2 up.

Also, no page numbers showing up except for the index. Does Blub auto number the pages or should they have appeared in the PDF?

Step 1 : download copy of proof PDF
Step 2 : open with Adobe Reader 8
Step 3 : from the View menu, select Page Display and Two-Up
Step 4 : use arrows at tool bar, page down key or clicking below the thumb on the vertical slider bar should move 2 pages at a time

First "page" pair looks good, blank on left, Publisher data on right
Second "page" pair look good, blank on left, Frank's intro on right
Third "page" pair, problem - Cyrus' text on left, blank on right
Fourth "page" pair, Sheldon on left, Mark S. on right
Fifth "page" pair, Mark S (image 2) on left, Ben C. on right and so on.

This may just be the PDF document barfing in the viewer or that the first page pair really isn't a pair but rather the left hand page was supposed to be the back side of the front cover.

Anyway, you asked for a proof and I'm reporting what Adobe Reading coughs up. No idea how Blub really handles the format.

Other than this weirdness in Adobe Reader and not having any color management running on this PC, looked pretty good. Hope it all goes well!

Step 3a, from View menu, select show Cover Page During Two-up

rwyoung
15-May-2008, 10:00
Step 3a, from View menu, select show Cover Page During Two-up

That fixes it! Now the page alignments look right.

But still not seeing page numbers inside the printable area of the doc.

cyrus
15-May-2008, 14:22
All I can say is WOW! :D !
I'm so happy this is working out!

Mark Sawyer
15-May-2008, 17:23
Looking great, Jerome! Thanks for picking up on this. I think one of the great things about this project, besides documenting some of the great work done by this forum's inhabitants, is that after we see it come out, I'll bet a few of us are inspired to put out books devoted to our own works.

Question: Is the color shown in the b&w images accurate? I give my prints a partial sepia tone to warm them a bit, but the images here are rather cool. (Sorry to nitpick...)

photographs42
15-May-2008, 17:55
Looking great, Jerome! Thanks for picking up on this. I think one of the great things about this project, besides documenting some of the great work done by this forum's inhabitants, is that after we see it come out, I'll bet a few of us are inspired to put out books devoted to our own works.

Question: Is the color shown in the b&w images accurate? I give my prints a partial sepia tone to warm them a bit, but the images here are rather cool. (Sorry to nitpick...)

Mark,

From the other thread:

First, to print through Lulu, Frank made adjustments to all of the B&W images in an attempt to get them to come out neutral. He suggested that I convert them all back to grayscale, which I have done, but it occurred to me that maybe some of them were sepia toned or just warm toned prints. If your image falls into this category please let me know.

Until now, only one person responded to this and he hasn’t sent replacement images. I don’t have the original submitted image files so I just telling me they were a tone doesn’t help much.

If you and/or anyone else wants to send me revised files I will substitute them. Send them to:

jerome at jeromehawkins dot com

photographs42
15-May-2008, 18:16
That fixes it! Now the page alignments look right.

But still not seeing page numbers inside the printable area of the doc.

I have made several changes and more are coming. Page numbers are there now .

The normal Blurb software puts page numbers on most pages automatically but the type of layout I chose didn’t have numbers. I thought that was OK because my initial plan was to label the images with Plate 1, plate 2 etc.. I later decided against that and I didn’t think we needed page numbers. Then I decided to add the Index and that didn’t make much since unless I could reference the page. So I added page numbers to the index but at the time I produced the PDF the page numbers hadn’t been added to the pages. Not sure anyone wanted to know that, but that’s why you don’t see them!

Jerome :)

Andrew O'Neill
15-May-2008, 21:53
Sorry to be so picky, but my image of the doors in the church of the holy cross is waaaaay too dark. Can it be tweaked or should I resend you the image?

Frank Petronio
15-May-2008, 21:59
Just an FWIW, but I would be very cautious about trying to duplicate a sepia tone with the Blurb Indigo printing... you may luck out and get a nice warm brown, but I think the chances of it running magenta or green are much more likely. All of these processes seem to have a really hard time with the magenta channel...

Just my two cents...

photographs42
16-May-2008, 07:00
Sorry to be so picky, but my image of the doors in the church of the holy cross is waaaaay too dark. Can it be tweaked or should I resend you the image?

On my monitor (which is calibrated BTW) it looks slightly darker on the PDF than in PS but not by much. The darkest part of the door in the upper left corner is around value 10 to 24 and the highlight area just to the right of the darker door is value 251, so its not blocked up on either end. You can re-send it if you like. Send to:

jerome at jeromehawkins dot com

I could change it but I don’t know how much lighter you want it.

Jerome

photographs42
16-May-2008, 16:14
A revised PDF is ready at the same link as before:

Please check it out.

Jerome

Tri Tran
16-May-2008, 22:42
A revised PDF is ready at the same link as before:

Please check it out.

Jerome
Hi Jerome,
Please make sure Sabrina & Dylan pictures put them next to side by side by Tri Tran.Thanks for your attention.

photographs42
17-May-2008, 08:01
Dylan is on the left p. 124 and Sabrina is on the right p. 125.
Jerome