PDA

View Full Version : first wide lens + shutter questions.

scott russell
12-May-2008, 18:29
I'm in the market for a 65mm-90mm range lens for the 4x5 rig with 6x9 roll back. Its ok if the 65 barely covers 4x5 since its so wide, but if i end up with a 90, i definitely want enough coverage to get some movements. I'm coming across a couple cheaper ones on KEH, but im not sure if they are just cheap(er) because they are in shutters that are older, or not as good. There are also some other terms i don't understand. An example is the 65mm F8 super angulon they have now which is "syncronized for flash comp B" I can't really decode most of that, except that its a compur shutter. It seems like copals are the most recent and commom. Another example is the fujinon 90mm SW F8 that's in a sieko shutter which sounds familiar to me because i used to use a RB67 that used all seiko shutter lenses. Is it worth it to get a lens that comes in a certain type of shutter to avoid problems earlier?

Don Dudenbostel
12-May-2008, 18:50
Basically any of the Super Angulons, Fujinon SW, Nikkor SW and Rodenstock Grandagon lenses will do the trick. I've used Super Angulons for about 40 years and never had an issue. Recently I've purchased a couple of faster Nikkors and love them. I also have a couple of Fuji lenses including a 105mm SW on my 6x17 Fuji and find it to be stellar. Never had much experience with Rodenstock although I hear they are equally as good. Compur shutters are as tough as nails and so are Copal. Both of my Fuji lenses are in Seko and they've given no problems.

I would look for the best price of the FL you want and not worry about brand. The Super Angulon XL series will give the greatest movements but at a high price. The next will be the Nikkors at a moderate price. The Grandagon, Super angulon (older design not XL) and the fujinon's all have about the same coverage.

IanG
12-May-2008, 22:00
The older Compur shutters on the 65mm SA's are a bit of a pain to use. There's no preview button, so you have to set the shutter to B, and use a locking cable release to focus the lens on the ground glass. The 65mm just covers 5x4.

I also use a newer 75mm SA and the Copal shutter is much easier, coverage is very much better. They seem to sell on Ebay for quite low prices too.

Ian

Nick_3536
12-May-2008, 22:26
FWIW lenses mounted in Seikos tend to be cheaper. So if you're trying to save a bit it's an option. I'm not really sure why. Seiko hasn't made shutters in awhile so that's part of it I guess. Other then that some of the lensboard mounting holes are slightly different. I've got what would be a Seiko #1 and needed to use the dremel to open up the lensboard slightly.

Used the Fuji 105mm SW mentioned is often a great deal. Most focus on 90mm and ignore the 105mm. The 105mm OTOH gives you great coverage up to 5x7.

The Nikon 90mm F/8 gives you greater coverage then the slower lenses from the other companies. So it's a choice if you're looking at 5x7 in your future.

Ole Tjugen
13-May-2008, 00:22
The older Compur shutters on the 65mm SA's are a bit of a pain to use. There's no preview button, so you have to set the shutter to B, and use a locking cable release to focus the lens on the ground glass. The 65mm just covers 5x4.

That's the really old ones which are in size 00 shutters. The same shutter was also used on some 90mm f:8 Super Angulons - like mine. Slightly newer lenses are in size 0 shutters, which have a little more room for the extra mechanics.

The 00's work, and work well with practice and a good cable release. But I, too, prefer a 0 with preview lever (or even better a T setting).

Ole Tjugen
13-May-2008, 00:24
... An example is the 65mm F8 super angulon they have now which is "syncronized for flash comp B" I can't really decode most of that, except that its a compur shutter...

That would be a Syncro-Compur shutter with B setting, presumably a 00 without T setting.