PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Vivitar 356 Color Head Enlarger?

sdwfx
12-May-2008, 11:17
Would appreciate any info on this enlarger (e.g good/bad, too old/ just right, don't get it for more than $x-dollars, etc.)

This would be my first enlarger, so even basic pointers are much appreciated :)

Thanks,
Will

Robert Ley
13-May-2008, 10:21
Will,
I don't believe this enlarger will handle 4x5. That would be a consideration for me. I use a Beseler 45 and can attest to it being pretty much bullet proof. Lots of them on the used market and many accessories are available. You should be able to pick up a Beseler or Omega for a couple of hundred dollars. Us wet darkroom folks are benefiting from the "Digital Revolution" Long live the Revolution! Check out Feebay or Craigs list for enlargers in your area and good luck in setting up your new darkroom!

sdwfx
13-May-2008, 12:09
Robert, thanks for the advice. I also saw an Omega D2 for sale here locally, is that a better one? Although I will be doing 4x5 printing, I'll be doing 35mm and 6x4.5/6/9 more for starters. Can your Beseler 45 also handle smaller format? do you just need to change the lens and neg. carrier pretty much?

Oren Grad
13-May-2008, 14:59
As I recall, the Vivitar 356 won't take 4x5 or 6x9cm. And it will be difficult to find parts if you ever need them - not that many were sold, and even beyond that model Vivitar was never a major player in the enlarger market anyway. Given how cheap Omegas and Beselers are these days, and how well supported they are, I don't think it makes sense to mess with an off-brand like Vivitar.

Yes, 4x5 enlargers can handle smaller formats with a change of carrier and lens. In some cases a change of condensers or of the mixing box on a dichroic diffusion head can be useful too, though using light sources intended for larger negatives to print smaller ones generally isn't a problem, only the other way around.

Robert Ley
13-May-2008, 19:54
Will,
Either a Beseler 45 or the Omega will do ya. I used an Omega Pro Lab D-5 in college and it was a great enlarger. The Beseler that I have use for the past 30+ years has an adjustable condenser head and will easily accept several different color or VC heads. Lens are easily changed and you can enlarge from 110 to 4x5 with the proper lens and negative carrier and all the bits and pieces are easily available used or if you are nuts can be still purchased new for about 3-5 times the used price. Watch Ebay carefully and you should be able to pick up a complete kit for cheap! Good luck!

sdwfx
21-Aug-2009, 13:23
Update:

It's now a year since I got and start using the Vivitar enlarger. I am quite satisfied with it.

I have slowly build the complete set of negative carriers from 35mm, slide, 6x6 and a even one for 6x7 with glass.

And last week, because I forgot to turn off the enlarger for the whole day, the bulb burned out and forced me to search for a new one. It's fortunately a common enough bulb type: EKG 80W 19V, which is still for sale in a lot of places. I got mine from Adorama.

I also found a gentleman who scanned the entire enlarger manual and have it available on his website:

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/manuals/manuals.html

... very handy when you're trying to figure out which part to open to replace the light bulb :)

So, would I recommend this enlarger to anyone starting up? You bet. The parts and consumables are not hard to find and it's sturdy enough for regular weekend uses (my typical pattern of usage).

PhotoBob
3-Jan-2010, 22:49
Ahhh the 356 ... this was my first enlarger and it served me well.
I liked the colour head making it easier to work with VC papers.
I only did 35mm back whilst I was a high school student but if I had one now, would need a 645 carrier as well.
I don't know much about supply parts, so I am thankful for this thread.
Oh ... by the way, I use the Besler Dichro 45 Computerized Enlarger Colour head these days and have the carriers I need especially the 4x5 which made it necessary to acquire such a piece of equipment.

RDM
3-Jan-2011, 15:07
Darnit! that link to the Manuel is dead now :(
And the only place i find it online wants to sell it.
I am considering buying this.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/napolitan_2000/camera%20stuff/Vivitar%20356%20Enlarger/013-1.jpg
Idealy i would love to find a 4x5 enlarger i can afford, so that when i get my 4x5 working i can start shooting. However i mostly shoot 6x6 format, and this enlarger does both 35mm and 6x6 and is for sale locally for 65 dollars. Cant beat that i guess, for my first enlarger.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/napolitan_2000/camera%20stuff/Vivitar%20356%20Enlarger/015.jpg
See all you do for 6x6 is move the condenser lens up. It only has a 35mm carrier tho , but I think i can make a 6x6 one.

Someone is also selling a Beseler model 23C, Series II enlarger, local to me for 120. BUt i dont know ... i think the vivitar is better for the price

---------------------
Everythings better with pictures :)