PDA

View Full Version : Of all the wacky things I've seen on ebay...

Skorzen
11-May-2008, 20:37
This (http://cgi.ebay.com/Zone-VI-Leather-Pentax-Digital-Spotmeter-holster-NR_W0QQitemZ230248163845QQihZ013QQcategoryZ88669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) has to take the cake. Anyone know how the PF holster works? The Design is a little different, but for a mere $175 savings I might go for that instead.

BarryS
11-May-2008, 20:45
The seller has got to be dancing. Every so often, I see bidders get into a pissing match over a common item and I'm amazed.

domenico Foschi
11-May-2008, 21:12
yes, but have you seen those finely crafted stitches?
The precise cuts where you insert the belt?
I think you are being way too simplistic here...

Dave Parker
11-May-2008, 21:33
Somebody bought it, didn't they..?

I would say, the seller did good!

:D

AnselAndy
11-May-2008, 21:41
Holy Crap! I have one of those! Babee, imma rich man! Woo-hoo! :D

BarryS
11-May-2008, 21:52
Holy Crap! I have one of those! Babee, imma rich man! Woo-hoo! :D

By the time you post it, the losing bidders will have sobered up. So what are you gonna do with that $15? :)

GPS
12-May-2008, 01:54
See what you get when you badly adjust your snipping program..?

Brian Ellis
12-May-2008, 07:31
At about 10 times original price that's pretty amazing. It isn't even a very useful holster IMHO. I sold mine for about $25 a few years ago because the leather is so stiff it doesn't bend or give, often making it cumbersome and uncomfortable to sit down or even bend over with the holster on. The smaller, soft holster that comes with the Pentax digital spot meter is IMHO much better if a loop is added at the back as I've done so that it can be worn on your belt.

Michael Graves
12-May-2008, 14:33
I like mine quite a lot. Not stiff like Brian is describing. Worth every penny of the $17.00 I paid for it.

Keith Pitman
12-May-2008, 15:13
Fred Picker must be turning over in his grave, mourning that he cannot get in on the sale of stuff he created!!!

Maybe a collector is trying to corner the market.

Deane Johnson
12-May-2008, 16:54
I'm going to be selling a Zone VI modified Pentax Model V complete with one of the original Zone VI leather holsters, once I get around to it. Do you think I can add that much to the price since it includes the holster?:)

Gregg Cook
2-Jun-2008, 12:00
no, I don't think it's worth that. Bidders got pissed.

And if they are stiff, add mink oil. Repeatedly.

Joseph O'Neil
2-Jun-2008, 12:11
Harry's Pro Shop in Toronto has a used one for sale right now:

http://harrysproshop.com/Used_Miscellaneous/Zone_VI_Case_Spotmeter.jpg

$39.99 Cdn. :) But it does look like it's seen batter days, and it doesn't have that same "cool look" the fleabay one has.

You know something though? I have two Pentax analog spot meters, and I have never felt the need for any holster at all. I can just see myself in some national park someday with a leather holster on my belt - lordy only knows what the park staff or homeland security or the rcmp or gonna think I'm packing!

Dave Parker
3-Jun-2008, 06:41
I can just see myself in some national park someday with a leather holster on my belt - lordy only knows what the park staff or homeland security or the rcmp or gonna think I'm packing!

Well with the way things are going here in the states and if the NRA gets its way, you won't have to worry....

:rolleyes:

Michael Graves
3-Jun-2008, 07:11
I can just see myself in some national park someday with a leather holster on my belt - lordy only knows what the park staff or homeland security or the rcmp or gonna think I'm packing!

I walk into banks and post offices with mine strapped to my belt all the time. Even went into a police station once. So far, I've only been hassled by mall security (which was fun...I got to give him lots of shit). But there is this perverse hope that some day somebody will get overzealous with me about my holster.

Vaughn
8-Sep-2008, 12:49
You can own the Phillip Compact 8x10 owned and used by Fatali!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillips-8x10-Compact-Field-Camera_W0QQitemZ370084771130QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Buy-it-now price is only $20,000! (sorry no lens or holders with that)

Vaughn

PS...shipping is free:p

Don7x17
8-Sep-2008, 13:22
You can own the Phillip Compact 8x10 owned and used by Fatali!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phillips-8x10-Compact-Field-Camera_W0QQitemZ370084771130QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Buy-it-now price is only $20,000! (sorry no lens or holders with that)

Vaughn

PS...shipping is free:p

Their quote on the listing "There is no doubt that we believe this camera will be worth much more in the future as a collectable and will be a museum piece." ...at this price, P.T. Barnham would be proud!

Priced, no doubt, for the collector. While it comes with no holders, it will be carefully packed in a used Presto Fire Log box ;-)

Vaughn
8-Sep-2008, 13:58
While it comes with no holders, it will be carefully packed in a used Presto Fire Log box ;-)

:D :D :D

He is offerring 4 8x20 holders for $2000, which sounds a little more reasonable. I don't know if the set of 20 8x20 Mido holders is worth $2000, but I suppose they are rare and hard to find.

Vaughn

Dan Fromm
8-Sep-2008, 15:20
As long as we're marvelling at the arsonist Fatali's listings, here's a great one: http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-FAST-LENS-150mm-1-5_W0QQitemZ370084738589QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its impossible to be sure that it is one of them, but the 1963 GOI lens list (download it from http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm) contains one 150/1.5, the Helios 52, designed in 1952. It covers 10 degrees, i.e., 1.6 x 2.2 cm. I couldn't find it in either of the Yakovlev catalogs (same source).

To be fair, Fatali's lens could have been designed after 1963.

Cheers,

Dan

______
Alaska -- The Welfare State

Don7x17
8-Sep-2008, 15:50
:D :D :D

He is offerring 4 8x20 holders for $2000, which sounds a little more reasonable. I don't know if the set of 20 8x20 Mido holders is worth $2000, but I suppose they are rare and hard to find.

Vaughn

I looked at the Mido system back in the early 1990's. At the time, they suffered from light leaks and were particularly prone to pinholes in the darkslide material....

He also has a 1100 XXL lens at a high price (in excess of what you can purchase from other fine dealers, new). Maybe you are paying for the ring that says "Fatali" on the outer black portion... http://cgi.ebay.com/Schneider-XXL-1100mm-GOLD-Lens_W0QQitemZ370084772449QQihZ024QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

He's selling a wide range of other items, all inflated prices. Is this as a result of business failure?(times are tough and if he got overextended...)? Anyone know?

Alan Rabe
9-Sep-2008, 10:29
I wish I had the money to buy it. I take up to delicate arch and burn it.

John Jarosz
23-Sep-2008, 17:04
Just don't wear that meter holster into an airport.

I have one too. Had no idea people were THAT crazy.

John

David A. Goldfarb
23-Sep-2008, 17:57
I don't know if the set of 20 8x20 Mido holders is worth $2000, but I suppose they are rare and hard to find.

Vaughn

Before the auction ended he added 10 more to the set, and I was the only bidder for all 31, as it turns out, plus a spare darkslide with three clamshells at $1200. They usually sell for more than new plastic holders, so I feel like I got a good deal at about $40/holder. It was a big financial commitment, but I've been looking for these for years and always getting outbid at $80-100/holder. Three of them look like they need small repairs, which I can do, and of course I'll keep track in case any have leaks.

As for why he's selling, one can only speculate, but he has expanded to three or four galleries recently, at a time when tourism to locations like Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon where two of them are located, is down, and if you hunt around, you can see that he's been sued by one of his building contractors. On the other hand, he's also won a few auctions for high end items recently, so maybe he's just trying other things.