PDA

View Full Version : Brass lenses WARNING Lead Paint

CCHarrison
10-May-2008, 17:08
Just a note of caution for those of who like to play, take apart, and clean older brass lenses - many *may* contain lead paint. While testing some other products for lead content I casually tested a few lenses I own and rougly 1/3 contained lead in the black paint that is used internally on these lenses, inside the lens hoods and on the reverse of many flanges. The worst offender was an 1860 CC Harrison lens... Almost all Darlot lenses did NOT contain lead.... just a note of caution....

Dan

www.antiquecameras.net

EdWorkman
10-May-2008, 17:23
So who gnaws on lenses?

Jorge Gasteazoro
10-May-2008, 17:34
What was the concentration of the lead and how much of the paint is there? If yo lived in the 70s and early 80s you probably go more lead contamination from car exhaust than you ever going to get from the lens.

Glenn Thoreson
10-May-2008, 17:50
I guess they didn't have lead in France. :D Just don't lick the bloody things. I'm not gonna stop playing with them because they might have lead in them. I have some in my backside, too.

John Schneider
11-May-2008, 11:44
Until it was banned, most paints had lead-based pigments. Also, most brasses contain small amount of lead to facilitate free machining. So, in modern society you'll never fully escape exposure to lead. Just wash your hands before eating/smoking, and take care not to inhale any dust if you sand/file an older lens (as in filing out a filter ring dent, etc.).

GPS
11-May-2008, 11:51
While it may be true that the paint contains lead the warning is absolutely out of place. Goodness, how often do you touch the inner paint??? For days and days, on and on, from the morning to the evening? Give me your old brass lenses if you're in this horrible danger, please! Like that you will make a substantial investment in your health situation...

GPS
11-May-2008, 11:53
Ship the worst offender - CCHarrison 1860 -to me! Immediately! It will be disposed off in a very ecological way...

domenico Foschi
11-May-2008, 12:30
If it keeps going like this it will end up that we can't even hold aero ektars between our legs....

GPS
11-May-2008, 12:57
If it keeps going like this it will end up that we can't even hold aero ektars between our legs....

Don't start again! You know you burnt yourself with this kind of comments once before... and regretted it badly afterward...:) It comes up on Google all the time... Think of your carrier!

Robbie Shymanski
11-May-2008, 13:16
Does this mean I shouldn't use my decorative uranium glass tea set any more?

GPS
11-May-2008, 13:22
Does this mean I shouldn't use my decorative uranium glass tea set any more?

Now, where is that terrorist section of my local police station... "yeah, he said he wants to use uranium, that's right... Robbie Shymanski, yeah..."

E. von Hoegh
11-May-2008, 14:10
:D Sheesh. I'll never cast a bullet again!! Not out of lead, at any rate. Depleted uranium! there we go!!:D

domenico Foschi
11-May-2008, 14:35
Don't start again! You know you burnt yourself with this kind of comments once before... and regretted it badly afterward...:) It comes up on Google all the time... Think of your carrier!

My carrier doesn't care as long as I pay them, my career, that's another matter...:D
Sorry, I had to!

GPS
11-May-2008, 14:41
My carrier doesn't care as long as I pay them, my career, that's another matter...:D
Sorry, I had to!

No offense taken :) , I felt something was wrong... eh, just one of my 7 languages, what do you want? Anyway, stay away from those parts...

Per Madsen
13-May-2008, 00:49
Warning:

If you glow in the dark you will have problems when using the darkroom.

Glenn Thoreson
13-May-2008, 11:48
But you'll be a dim green, so you can develop by inspection...... :D