PDA

View Full Version : beseler 45mcrx

Albert Lombardi
10-May-2008, 16:17
I have a chance to bid on a Beseler 45MCRX with motorized condenser but I have no idea what a reasonable price would be. Can anyone tell me what it should be worth.:confused:

Eric Woodbury
10-May-2008, 16:32
I don't know. Things to consider, does it have a condenser or light source included? What will the shipping be? Is it dirty or rusty? Is the motor strong? Anything else (that you want) included? How's the baseboard? Shipping is the big one. A few people get these for free, but it is certainly worth more than that.

Albert Lombardi
10-May-2008, 18:19
I don't know. Things to consider, does it have a condenser or light source included? What will the shipping be? Is it dirty or rusty? Is the motor strong? Anything else (that you want) included? How's the baseboard? Shipping is the big one. A few people get these for free, but it is certainly worth more than that.

Thanks that gives me a good indication for what its worth.
The unit is coming from a gov. auction, looks to be in very good condition. Shipping wont be an issue since it is local for me.

shmoo
11-May-2008, 11:13
I bought mine off Craigs list locally about 3 years ago. About $350 if I recall, but I got it in great condition (motors, condensers working, clean, clean, clean), and I got a 50mm, 75mm, and 135mm enlarging lens with it. Also got all the neg carriers (35mm, 6x6, 4x5 and 4x5 glass) and some miscellaneous stuff (trays, dip/dunk tank, timer, etc.).

Kevin Crisp
11-May-2008, 11:16
$75 to $100, more if it is really clean. More if you get a decent lens.

Albert Lombardi
11-May-2008, 13:17
I bid 110.00, someone else went higher next time maybe. Thanks all for the info.

Kevin Crisp
11-May-2008, 13:23
Try Craig's List, these do show up there fairly regularly. The ones with the braces to the back instead of the front (where they bang up against the easel) are better. You can live without the motorized lift unless you really like the smell of Ozone. One with a cold light head is a plus.

Eric Woodbury
11-May-2008, 16:00
Kevin, the older ones don't make that smell. I don't know if it is because it is broken in, or what. My new one stinks.

Kevin Crisp
11-May-2008, 18:12
Cool sound though, really impresses first time visitors. Makes them not want to touch anything.

ericantonio
11-May-2008, 20:08
Albert, where are you located? I have a blue crx without a head that I'm trying to clear out of my garage.

icanthackit
16-Feb-2011, 19:13
Hi all, I'm sorry that this thread is almost 3 years old but the title seemed right. I'm not sure how threads here work but I've got a question about this enlarger. I've searched a bit and haven't been able to find anything but purchasable manuals for this seemingly ancient enlarger (based on my short 26 1/2 years on this planet).

I have a Beseler 45M CRX that I bought from a local around my old university for around $50, but I am now looking for a place that I can use variable contrast filters. There is a small, thin door that's between the two pieces of glass that are between the light source and the negative carrier, but it's oddly curved near the back. Is this where the contrast filter would go? Does it need to be cut to fit the curve of enlarger light source?

I have some contrast filters for smaller enlargers, mostly for 35mm and maybe medium format enlargers too, but I really am not looking forward to purchasing larger contrast filters, especially if I'm going to have to tediously cut them to size.

-Andrew

Jon Shiu
16-Feb-2011, 19:16
Yes the filters need to be cut in a curve at the back. And there should be a filter holder frame with clear plastic holder to fit in there.

As an alternative, use the under the lens filter holder.

Jon

dsphotog
16-Feb-2011, 19:53
You can use filters below the lens, or cut 6x6 filters to fit in the upper filter drawer,
or, there is a small sliding filter drawer just above the lens.

icanthackit
16-Feb-2011, 21:29
Ah, it looks like I'm missing the filter holder though, unless that would come separate from the enlarger. I'll check out using the filter under the lens. Hopefully it won't mess up the image too much?

Brian Ellis
16-Feb-2011, 21:47
Ah, it looks like I'm missing the filter holder though, unless that would come separate from the enlarger. I'll check out using the filter under the lens. Hopefully it won't mess up the image too much?

When you use it under the lens dust on the filter can show up on the print so you have to try to keep it perfectly clean, which isn't easy to do. You also have to be very careful not to get scratches on the filter. But otherwise it should work o.k.

juliogalindo
18-Feb-2011, 21:59
I have a beseler 4x5 I just love it I am In Mexico City does anyone knows how to
conect it the way the wires go, The blower, the transformer, the timer, the Stabilizer, and motor controlbox?
Thank you for all the information you can give me.

icanthackit
3-Mar-2011, 22:39
I'm writing back about my problem with the filters. I have Ilford 3.5 square multi contrast filters that I had been using in my school's 35mm/medium format enlargers. I thought I had to put in huge filters up by the light source but I found the little drawer just above the lens. I ended up cutting down a couple of those filters to just around 2.45 inches square or so and they fit perfectly into that drawer and seem to work well. I'd still rather have it above the negative and perhaps I'll get an enlarger that will do this, but this should do until then.

As for the cords for the enlarger, the one I have just has a "Resistrol," up/down motor, and the enlarger head cord. I have just been using small extension cords to put the light source into my own timer and I plug the up/down motor cord into another extension cord. I'm not sure what the blower is, or if the transformer or stabilizer you mention might be the resistrol or whatever it is that reduces the power for longer exposures, but I don't think mine works so I don't use it.

Peter Mounier
3-Mar-2011, 23:13
icanthackit
I sent you a PM regarding a manual.

Peter