PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 enlarger lens?

Tori Nelson
4-May-2008, 19:11
I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject of the best size and make of lens for my 8x10 enlarger and so far the only conclusion I've been able to come to is that I am totally confused. There seem to be many conflicting ideas out there from innumerable sources. If I'm going to be confused I'd rather all the information come from one site, just kidding. Seriously, this is the best forum out there and I've always gotten good advice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tori

Kevin Crisp
4-May-2008, 19:31
I used the APO Bessler (Rodenstock) 240mm lens that came with my enlarger for many years and was completely satisfied with it. Some people criticise this lens for having fewer elements than others and/or having an f:9 max aperture. Well, with an 8X10 cold light head, focusing was easy and the prints were sharp edge to edge. Regardless of whether the lens had enough elements it seemed to get the job done. These are very inexpensive used. I then started using the El-Nikkor 210mm lens for 5X7 and tried it was 8X10 and found that it worked great and I haven't used the Rodenstock since. The negative stage doesn't have to be up so high with the shorter lens, which makes the enlarger easier to align. The Nikkor lens is big in diameter and you will probably have to have a lens board custom drilled, which is not a big deal, and it is sometimes not possible to use swing arm filter holders due to the size of the lens. I get around that by putting VC sheet filters on top of the diffuser.

You know, of course, that you are going to get lots of different opinions and none of them agree?

John Kasaian
4-May-2008, 20:11
A big consideration is how far it is to your ceiling! I use an Ilex 229mm Copy Paragon which IIRC cost me $35 (and no complaints!)
A "classic" lens for 8x10 format would be a 10" Kodak Ektanon.
In an ideal world the lens that I'd jump on if I had the chance (and the ceiling clearance) would be a 300mm Schneider Companon. I'm sure Rodenstock and Nikor have equivalant offerings.
If your eyes can focus at f/9 you could used something like a 240mm G Claron "taking" lens (but it is too dim for me for use on the Elwood.)

Good luck!

erie patsellis
4-May-2008, 20:16
John,
I have a 300 componon (as well as 360), have yet to finish the enlarger though, shooting with it is pretty impressive.

erie

Chuck Pere
5-May-2008, 03:59
A lot depends on the size of your lensboard. You need a large board for some of these lenses. Also consider how you will be focusing if using a long lens and a grain magnifier. Will you be able to look into the eyepiece and still reach the focus knob or will you need a focus extension of some kind. Print size will factor in and if you will use the same enlarger for 5x7 and 4x5. I find that a 240 lens works fine for me with mostly 5x7 and the occasional 8x10. It also works OK for 8x10's from 4x5 but for larger 4x5's I use a 210 to help with the focus reach problem.

Arthur Nichols
5-May-2008, 04:42
I also use a 240mm G-Claron. for enlarging 8x10. Focusing is no problem using a Peak grain magnifier. I have found this lens to be better than my 180 Componon for enlarging.
Art

EdWorkman
5-May-2008, 06:33
I use a 180mm Fuji
I don't particularly like that it has no clickstops, but it saves height, is bright, and works very well, and I'm used to that shortcoming now. I print 6x17 negs to 40'' wide, among other things

IanG
5-May-2008, 07:27
A Componon 180 doesn't cover 10x8, the Componon 210 just about covers but vignettes the corners. However a 240mm G-Claron or Componon/Rodagon will cover.

Ian

ic-racer
5-May-2008, 09:45
300mm Rodagon works for me (tall ceiling, though). This lens is optimized for 4x enlargements. This works well with my enlarger as the baseboard is about 40 inches across. I don't use the 300mm Rodagon G as it is optimized for 20x enlargements (that would be 200 inches across!:eek: )

Kevin Crisp
5-May-2008, 09:52
I have not tried the 240 G Claron for this but those who have are happy with it?

Tori Nelson
5-May-2008, 11:34
The baseboard for my enlarger is 42", it's a DeVere 5108, and my ceiling is 10' so I have the room. I can't see ever printing anything larger than 20x24 and most likely will stick around the 16x20 size. Given all of this I guess the 305 G Claron on Ebay would be a bit of overkill? I hate admitting how ignorant I am about the technical end of all this. : - (

Nick_3536
5-May-2008, 11:52
It'll be expensive because one of us will want to mount it in a shutter for camera use -) Other then that I don't see the problem.

A shorter lens would allow bigger enlargements or less head height. Neither sounds like an issue for you.

IanG
6-May-2008, 12:45
At present I can only use my 300mm for 10x8, I have a 240mm but am awaiting a mounting board.

The 300m is OK and the results superb but it's fairly awkward and impractical for every day use, a slight enlargement means quite a difference in enlarger/baseboard distance, and often means dropping the baseboard to near floor level. That's when it becomes most awkward.

The 240mm will make life a lot easier

Ian

John Kasaian
6-May-2008, 20:35
The baseboard for my enlarger is 42", it's a DeVere 5108, and my ceiling is 10' so I have the room. I can't see ever printing anything larger than 20x24 and most likely will stick around the 16x20 size. Given all of this I guess the 305 G Claron on Ebay would be a bit of overkill? I hate admitting how ignorant I am about the technical end of all this. : - (

F/9 is awfully difficult for focusing on an easel, IMHO. My 2 cents anyway.
I'd opt for a Companon---they'd probably be a lot less $$ than the 305 G Claron anyway.

Turner Reich
6-May-2008, 22:16
Could we have a recap of those who use 240mm enlarging lenses for 8x10 inch negatives?

Thank you.

Tori Nelson
6-May-2008, 23:17
Could we have a recap of those who use 240mm enlarging lenses for 8x10 inch negatives?

Thank you.

Yes, that would be great as it's sounding like anything more than the 240 would be way overkill. Are those of you using a 240 having any problem with fall off or vignetting?
Again, I really appreciate all the advice and PM's on this subject. I'm so anxious to start using this enlarger! Thanks everyone.

IanG
6-May-2008, 23:29
As Schneider & Rodenstock recommend the 240mm Componon/Rodagon's for 10x8 I'm not expecting any fall of or vignetting at all, but it'll be about 3 weeks before I can verify this. However as my 210 Componon only just vignettes I'm quite confident.

Ian

Arthur Nichols
7-May-2008, 05:49
240mm G-Claron
Art

Seymour
7-May-2008, 19:39
I have used a Nikkor 240mm enlarging lens on my Devere 5108 for enlargements up to 30x40 with excellent results, minimal elevation of enlarger with this focal length is a big plus... excellent coverage, no problem at all with vignetting or light fall off

Murray
7-May-2008, 21:35
250/10" Enlarging Ektanon...but the enlarger is 3.5 hours from home still :O(.

Stephen Willard
8-May-2008, 04:00
I do not shoot 8x10, but I can tell you about my 4x10 experience. I started out using the Rodenstock 240mm lens, and it was an excellent lens until I started do 16x40 and 20x50 prints. I was unable to focus the lens at the edges. In the middle it was razor sharp, but at the edges it was soft and fuzzy.

I then ordered one of every enlarger lens that was 210mm or larger from B&H Photo. If my memory serves me right, at the time I spent over $3000 to $4000 for the lenses, and I had 11 days to test them so that I could return the ones I did not like. To my surprise the EL-Nikkor 210mm lens out performed all other lenses hands down. All of the lenses were razor sharp in the middle, but at the edges is where the differences occurred. I used a 10x grain focuser to examine the difference for a 20x50 print. The difference between the Nikon and the others was striking and evident. I return the rest and kept the Nikon.

If you are buying used then I would highly recommend buying a Nikkor and then do a 20x50 test at the edges. All lenses will be soft at the edges. The name of the game is to find the one that is sharpest at the edges. You will need to buy two different lenses so that you will have something to compare against. The one that losses you will have to resell. Then buy another and compare it against the one you kept until you are convinced you have the best lens. Please note, you CANNOT assume that all used Nikon lenses will be sharp. I had a used 180mm El-Nikkor that came with the enlarger that was useless. I was unable to produce an image that was sharp for anything bigger then an 8x0 print. The lens was defective.

Hope this helps...

Peter De Smidt
8-May-2008, 18:25
I use and recommend a 240mm El-Nikkor.