PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maryland

k_redder
1-May-2008, 08:05
Hey everyone. I've been lurking around here for a good while, soaking in all the info that can be had around here. So first of all, thanks to everyone who makes this place the outstanding resource that it is. The information found around here has helped me immensely in my project to get back into LF photography in the last year.
I'll try to keep this short, but it might not be easy. In high school (late 70's) I was into B/W small format, had a darkroom setup in our basement (23CII) but always wanted to do 4x5 and just didn't have the money. After High school, sold some guitar stuff and bought my first 4x5 (a used Omega View 45E monorail, cuz that's what the local camera shop had). Went off to college (Art major) for what turned out to be a very short time (3 semesters, a whole story all by itself). After leaving college, I found myself with a camera that really didn't lend itself to the field work that i liked to do, no access to darkroom to work on 4x5 and no money/space to put one.
Fast forward 25 years, a job, marriage, 2 kids, etc.....
Last year, I saw an Ansel Adams exhibit for the first time in a lot of years that was up for a while here in Salisbury (where I live) and started thinking about how much I missed making photographs. I went home, talked to my wife about doing photography again, she said I should, "it'll make you happy" (20 yrs and she still keeps giving me reasons why I married her). I started cleaning out the attic before she was finished saying "yes". The darkroom project is coming along well (I'll put some pics up on a new thread in the darkroom section later), I have a new camera coming in July (can you guess which one?), I have some things to sell so I can get a lens or two by this summer, so maybe by fall I'll be up and running.
I've been meaning to break my silence and introduce myself for a long time and thank everybody for all they do here. Today I'm home nursing a nasty cold, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do just that. Hopefully, in the future I'll be able to add just a little to all the great info that is already here.
Thanks again,
Kurt

Walter Calahan
1-May-2008, 08:38
Kurt

There is a Maryland, DC, Virginia group of LF shooters who get together from time to time. Perhaps you can join us.

Where in Maryland?

Ralph Barker
1-May-2008, 08:51
Welcome to the fully-lit side of the forum, Kurt.

k_redder
1-May-2008, 08:52
Hey Walter,
I live in Salisbury, on the eastern shore. When I'm finally up and running, I'd love to get together with some people in the DC area (I used to live in the Bowie/Crofton area). I'd love to host some people here on the eastern shore sometime too, there's tons of stuff to shoot around here.
Kurt

Hector.Navarro
1-May-2008, 09:00
welcome to the forum Kurt and congratulations on your comeback to LF photography.

Having an understanding and encouraging wife is a big big help, at least for me it would been dificult spending long hours in the darkroom and setting up shots on our weekends.

Cheers!

Scott Davis
1-May-2008, 11:36
Welcome from another Washingtonian (DCite?). Our little mid-atlantic cluster of folks could always use some new faces, and we'd welcome the chance to have other places to go shoot.

John Kasaian
1-May-2008, 13:23
Welcome Kurt :)

christopher walrath
16-Jun-2008, 16:14
Hi, Kurt. Just saw your intro. I live in Milton Delaware and just got into LF and am looking for some hangers out sometime. Keep me in mind if you're shooting up this way, or anywhere for that matter.

Milton Tierney
22-Jun-2008, 06:42
Hi Kurt,

Like you I’m new to this forum and learning a lot form the wise ones. I live in southern Maryland in Waldorf and I have been doing photography off and on for 40+ yrs. I enjoy LF, but I’ve also jumped into the digital world. I’m self taught out of necessity and picked up a few other skills along the way.

After 15 yrs I’ve jumped back into photography after our retirement in 06. I’m staring to do wet processing again and discovered that a lot has changed over the years. It seems that wet processing is becoming an endangered species. I have a Zone VI 4x5 camera and love it. I shoot tmax-100 & 400 in HC-110 (B).

My wife discovered digital photography last year and we go out, when we can, to hunt down any photographic prey. Now she want to do travel writing along with her photography.

Over the passed years I’ve picked up woodworking and does it come in handy if you need something built for the darkroom, but most importantly for the wife. My darkroom was built years ago (pre-woodworking) and is in need of renovation. First, I better finish my wife’s DVD case.

Milton

Kirk Gittings
22-Jun-2008, 08:43
Welcome home from the dark side of lurking!

Ron Marshall
22-Jun-2008, 08:56
Welcome to the forum and back to LF. I did the same several years ago, returning after a 25 year hiatus.

J D Clark
22-Jun-2008, 09:39
Kurt,
Welcome to LF!

I grew up in Maryland, Harford County, but have been living in Caifornia since I've taken up large format photography. I've been back to Maryland a couple of times this year, but without my gear (family illness), and hope to get back to do some photography soon -- I certainly the look of that "horse and hound" area of Maryland.

You're possibly old enough to remember the photographs of A. Aubrey Bodine in the weekend supplements of the newspapers. Although his photographs are pictorialist, and quite different from the west coast aesthetic, and an early influence for me getting into photography.

Good luck with your photography, and show us some photographs some time!

John Clark
www.johndclark.com